Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=26a2c3e04e4d08c4e906bee94829320aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Blue Midriff outfit: what exactly is the bottom half?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tereshkova2001 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Blue Midriff outfit: what exactly is the bottom half? Reply with quote

So I know RL standards say that the outfit is a "full-length straight skirt with a T-shaped top center front dense gathering section".
But when this costume was on display at the Denver Art Museum (with the Star Wars and the Power of Costume traveling exhibit), I took a photo (attached) of the museum placard describing it as "crêpe jersey top and pants".

I've never been able to satisfactorily decide if I think it's a weird skirt, weird pants, or some mysterious garment supported by the Force. Some of the screencaps make it look like full palazzo pants with a connected front panel. What do those of you who have made it or studied it think?

The rest of my photos are here, for reference.
Senator Padmé Amidala; Resistance X-Wing Pilot; Jedi Knight. Occasional Cathar.
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that the museum is wrong and that it is a fitted, draped skirt.

Checking out this screenshot of how it is moving, it looks like it's just heavily pleated in the center front as a continuous piece with the rest of the skirt.

I'm excited that you are working on this one! It's a really lovely design that I don't see made often enough.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site

tereshkova2001 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I got some good feedback on the facebook group showing skirtlike behaviour. It still seems like a weird design though!

I'm also curious about color. Kathy KayDee reports that the real dress is a blue-green smoke color, but it looks a very pale sky blue in the film. I'm concerned it's another Star Trek Kirk yellow problem, where the real garment doesn't match what was shown on film due to camera and lighting issues. I guess the goal is to go for screen accuracy not garment accuracy?
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes down to it, both are 'correct.' If you can come up with consistent references to back up your color choices, you should be good.

By the way, are those photos some that you took? If so, can we use them in the standards when we get to adding photos to this one?

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made this and am gonna go with 'weird shaped skirt'. Razz That's also what I've seen in the movie and exhibit images seems to support this.
It honestly wouldn't be the first time an exhibit have an incorrect sign up.

Personally I'd go for the on screen color and have it in some shade of light blue, but I can see the argument for adding an undertone of grey or green.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

tereshkova2001 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ordered swatches so we'll see what fabric I can find.

Jenna, yes you are welcome to use those photos. They're from the Denver Art Museum a few years back, and I can send the hi-rez versions when you need them..
tereshkova2001 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to go ahead and turn this thread into my WIP post, in hopes of accelerating the eventual judging process. My goal is to have this done and approved by the end of June.

Boots: bought light grey suede weatherproof boots from Blondo. That company comes highly recommended by my delegation leader for comfort and waterproofness.

Hair: ordered a spiral-curled wig from Arda, which is backordered currently.

Fabric: settled on a white interlock knit which I will dye... some color. I got a killer Black Friday + bulk deal for $4.05 a yard.

Dye: I have ordered a pale green and a pale blue and I'll see if I can find a good final color by doing a bunch of swatches.

Patterns: I have a ton of research, and I think it's probably a skirt??? Maybe? I'm still not happy about the bottom half but I have ideas. For the top, I have a hooded wrap crop top which I will use as v 0.1 for the pattern and modify. Because it's a knit fabric, I think I have to use the real stuff for the mockup. I'm thinking I'll assemble it, edit and modify as needed, then take it apart to dye it. That way I won't have to dye all twelve yards in one go.

Design: I'm planning to put my Cricut computer-controlled knife blade to good use in cutting the curlicue out of craft foam, then using it as a stamp with silver or grey fabric paint. Naturally I'll do color and technique tests on dyed scraps.

Beads: my usual bulk supplier says it'll be easy to get both the clear and the black beads, and told me what to order, so I just have to count beads and order them.

Piping: I presume Wright's has something but I haven't looked yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: