Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ba42d68c1706f84f286362afd57457d1Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

OT x-wing Flightsuit Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jananichole ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: OT x-wing Flightsuit Question Reply with quote

Hello,

Iím working on building a (OT) flightsuit from scratch, and Iím not seeing anything in the standard about the action pleat, but I feel like it should be there? Hoping someone can let me know if itís required for approval. Thanks!
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What part of the costume are you referring to as 'action pleat'?

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I know what you mean. You mean the pleat in the back of the jumpsuit? Like on the Red Kaps? That runs from shoulders to waist?

( https://www.amazon.com/Red-Kap-Oversized-Sleeve-Coverall/dp/B007EYYW5E?th=1 )

I am not a judge, but you are correct that there is no reference to it in the standards, and I don't think it matters one way or the other.

I am approved in the Red Kap coveralls (with modifications to collar, cuffs, and pockets), and they have the pleat in the back. But you can't really see it once the vest is on anyway, so I truly feel it doesn't matter one way or the other. I haven't picked apart screen caps to tell if it ever shows up on screen. It does show up on mine in shoulder motion action-type shots.

Honestly, I'd never really thought about this. I think it might look better without it? But I really think it's fine either way. Perhaps looking at some of the suits that are made just for this would help? (Ie, Wampa Wear or Pilot Bay or Darth Hair?)
It matters which side we choose. Even if there will never be more light than darkness... For every life we touch, it matters. I don't turn toward the light because it means some day I'll win some sort of cosmic game. I turn toward it because it is the light.

Qui-Gon Jinn, Master and Apprentice, Claudia Gray
Pixeldust (Lucy Paulina Sears)
Kessel Base XO
Kessel Base XO

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wabbit89 wrote:
I am approved in the Red Kap coveralls (with modifications to collar, cuffs, and pockets)

How did you get the extra fabric for the pockets and cuffs? I would really rather not buy two just for a few bits of fabric. Wink
Mother of Jawas

kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pixeldust wrote:
wabbit89 wrote:
I am approved in the Red Kap coveralls (with modifications to collar, cuffs, and pockets)

How did you get the extra fabric for the pockets and cuffs? I would really rather not buy two just for a few bits of fabric. Wink

Buying two is the standard method do go that route, unfortunately.
Kessel Base XO
Kessel Base XO

Medals: 4 (View more...)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kman wrote:
Pixeldust wrote:
wabbit89 wrote:

Buying two is the standard method do go that route, unfortunately.

Hmmm, I wonder if anyone has any bits left over they'd like to sell. I can't imagine two whole suits were used.
Mother of Jawas

Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you buy from a company online sometimes you can get some extra fabric from them if you ask them. Sometimes. Berne Workwear sent me two yards of extra fabric a few years back for their red coveralls when I was working on the first version of my B-wing pilot.

But yeah, buying two coveralls is usually what people do when they modify an existing pair.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought two. And I used most of the second suit. Those pockets are big. And there are eleven of them if you do them all. Plus the pocket flaps. And the collar. I have the torso and sleeves leftover, but the legs are completely gone. I plan to make a jacket out of whatís left. Itíll be a short jacket, but I think itíll do.
It matters which side we choose. Even if there will never be more light than darkness... For every life we touch, it matters. I don't turn toward the light because it means some day I'll win some sort of cosmic game. I turn toward it because it is the light.

wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, theyíre cheap online. Cheaper than/as cheap as fabric. And itíll match exactly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: