Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5be9b9ae0cd7a1dd65a66d4f57b02918Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Anovos Scavenger Rey?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Rey
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TeaB-8 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:12 am    Post subject: Anovos Scavenger Rey? Reply with quote

Hi All,

Anovos is having a 50% off sale and I'm tempted to get the Scavenger Rey outfit they're offering since it's slightly more reasonable at half off. It's advertised as being screen accurate, but I found a posting here from 2016 that the bag might be off. Has anyone purchased it and gotten it approved? It'd be a shame to spend all that money and then still not have the outfit right!

Thank you! Ben
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean the Jakku outfit? I took a quick look and I don't see a full scavenger on the site? (Ie, no head wraps and such - just the more basic Jakku costume.) If so, here are my thoughts.

If the $899 is the half off price, you can get this for much less. I don't know your skill level for sewing and whatnot. I'm going to assume that's not a great option for you since you're considering buying the whole thing. And that's fine. I can sew, but not well. I get that. If you can't make any of the pieces yourself, which is usually (but not always) cheaper, you can still buy this for less from Etsy sellers and the like. Just my thoughts on that. You can do either all of it at once or use multiple sellers to get the pieces you like best from each of them.

As for if it's approvable, I'm honestly not sure. I don't know anyone who has it, and I do not have it myself. In looking at it, it looks good overall, but I don't care for the belt. It's too orange and the tucks for the excess aren't right. There should be more weaving in and out - that might just not be done for the picture, but it's hard to say. But the color, to me, is just off. It should be the same color as the bracer. The bag is pretty good. I'd tweak a super minor few things, but it's likely fine.
It matters which side we choose. Even if there will never be more light than darkness... For every life we touch, it matters. I don't turn toward the light because it means some day I'll win some sort of cosmic game. I turn toward it because it is the light.

Qui-Gon Jinn, Master and Apprentice, Claudia Gray
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I meant by the excess should weave in and out more. I don't see the second set of slots for the loose ends to tuck into on the Anovos belt. They might be there, but I don't see them. And that color...eep. Not sure if that's been adjusted now or if it's just the screen or what, but the belt and bracer should be the same. Granted, you can always pick up a belt later and change it out, but for that cost, you shouldn't have to change anything in my opinion.

(Note that this a TLJ Rey belt from the end of the movie, so it's wider on top. Jakku Rey is the opposite. Yes, it's a whole new belt. Sigh.)

I made this belt and my Jakku belt. I hadn't done leather since camp as a kid, but it wasn't hard and while I can't tell you how much it cost, it wasn't too bad. Things will still add up, but I just think you could probable find better for less - and it wouldn't be one lump sum, which might help, too?
It matters which side we choose. Even if there will never be more light than darkness... For every life we touch, it matters. I don't turn toward the light because it means some day I'll win some sort of cosmic game. I turn toward it because it is the light.

TeaB-8 ()

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply! $899 is the full price, so half off would bring it to $450. Still overpriced at that? I'm actually decent at sewing, but not at pattern drafting or sourcing fabric, and the leather work and bag is completely beyond my capabilities.

Anovos says they got access to the screen worn costume to copy, so I figured it would be a sure bet, but now I'm really nervous about the belt.

Thank you for your help!
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! That is more reasonable. Hm...I don't think mine cost me that much, but that was before I started keeping tabs on costs of costumes. And it is my weakest Legion costume for sure.

You might check the giant Rey thread on the RPF or, if you haven't, check the Scavenger Sisters Facebook group. You might find someone there who has the Anovos costume? Worth a shot. How long does the sale run? Do you have time to poke about more?

Also, both of those sites will have folks who have sourced the fabric and they will list out what patterns they used. Also, don't forget the boots. Pozu has some decent sales off and on, and depending on your shoe size, I might actually have an extra pair. The Jakku boots are hard to make on your own, but it can be done. The TLJ boots - no problem. That costume I could talk you through no worries. Jakku is actually a bit harder, I think.

Here's my rundown on mine:

Boots from Pozu (biggest clothing cost I'd had in my life to that point and still way up there - they are cheaper now, though).

Pants were from a thrift store. I just cut off the lower leg and made strips of the fabric and I tie those around the bottom of the legs to achieve the look.

I made the shirt. I don't actually know how to use patterns. I sew everything on the fly. So I can't help with that. I just approximated it from another shirt and cheated on the neckline.

I made the belt and bracer. I have a few spare bracers laying around (mostly ones I don't like anymore now that I've gotten better, but I was approved in one of those). Depending on your wrist size, one might fit. I likely have enough leather that I could whip up another, but I don't generally make props for others. Too much pressure! Wink I might be willing to give it a try, though. The belt is another issue. It takes a lot of leather, and I don't think I have that much here.

Arm wraps were cotton crepe bandaged that I dyed. I got mine from a large buy we all did over on the RPF and they came from the UK, but you can find them on Amazon and the like easily. Just be sure to get the cotton ones. The ones with elastic/polyester won't dye.

I made the wrap thing. I'm not happy with mine, and it's part of why this costume is mostly retired for me, but if you can sew, you can gather yours nicer than mine is and put some snaps or something in the shoulders to hold it in place. That's how my TLJ one is, but I didn't make that. Wink But seriously, it's just a strip of fabric. It's supposed to be one piece, but you can hide seams at the bottom of the loop or in the shoulder gathers or under the belt if you have to to save on fabric.

I made my bag from two vintage military mess bags I got from an army-navy store. I cut them up for the fabric and made it from a pattern I found online.

Anyway...hope that helps.

At that price*, it's tough call, and very much up to you. But if you can sew, there are likely resources out there that can help you with what you need for less and it'll be just as good if not better in my opinion. But easy/one stop shop is also nice. It's a tough call.

Remember you don't have to have a staff, but it's nice. Mine is 3D printed. There are many options out there.

I'll see if I can dredge up some pics.

*But the TLJ Rey is priced at $2100, which is insane. (And it doesn't really have much more to it...) I knew Anovos was super expensive, but DANG. So, honestly, while I assumed it had to be half off the $899, for Anovos, I wasn't sure...

Last edited by wabbit89 () on Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:42 am; edited 1 time in total
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have pics readily accessible. Stupid photobucket nonsense. Wink

TeaB-8 ()

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TLJ one is so expensive because it's made of silk. But even then, I think everything on that site is about twice as much as it should be (which is why the half off sale seemed like a good bet). The sale runs through Monday, so I'll click around on your links and give it another day of thought-- Po-zu has a 25% off everything sale now too, so the idea of grabbing everything I needed in one fell swoop was appealing-- and then once I got approved I was going to make the staff my project for armor parties.

Thank you very much for the links-- the RPF one in particular! There's a few threads on Anovos on RPF, and they are Not Pleased to say the least. People have been waiting three years for some things on there, which would kind of wreck my whole 'Get it for the winter' plan!

I still think I want the Jakku Po-Zu boots (I'm a size 9.5, so I was planning on buying the ladies 10, if you happen to have an extra pair)

Thank you so much for all your time and help!
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. I see (on the silk).

And yeah. Give it a day and then decide. Doing a bit of that myself right now.

You are quite welcome. I try to help where I can. My boots are too small for you, though. I have two pair. Bought one full price and one on a good sale to have as a spare. But I rarely do Rey anymore, so would let them go to help someone. But I can also keep them. The others will wear out eventually.

Good idea on the staff. And the ease of getting it all would be nice. But pros and cons, I suppose.

Take the RPF with a grain of salt. It’s a bit intense there sometimes. And the Rey thread is old. But there is a lot of good info there too.

Shrey ()
Endor Base XO
Endor Base XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people on the Rey Cosplay Community on FB got it and posted pictures and commentary if you want to check it out. I believe people viewed what they got favorably but I believe most of them pre-ordered at the half off price. Unfortunately the company itself does not have a great reputation for timely deliveries or refunds so I would take that into consideration. I personally feel even at half off you could get those pieces for less -- and I would suggest checking out the Rey Cosplay Community as there are pattern resources and tips all over the place. Jakku Rey isn't a hugely difficult costume to sew, although the attempt to get the colors right can be a pain!
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Rey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: