Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=572509118fba982419e8f84401edd9bbMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Cara Dune Build
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Jyn Erso and Other Rogues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:14 am    Post subject: Cara Dune Build Reply with quote

Welp...I'm going to guess Cara will fall in this detachment so I'm posting my build progress here to get started. If she lands in Rebel Supporters later, so be it. However, my gut tells me DB94 is the place for her so here I write my research and build woes. Wink

I've been slowly piecing this together since we saw the first images from D23 last year.

I went ahead and put together a glove tutorial for how I made mine and what I used. It can be found at the following link:

https://imgur.com/gallery/95oV7lV

I also purchased these pants at Walmart to use as the base.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Time-and-Tru-Women-s-Millennium-Side-Zip-Pant/348476284?variantFieldId=actual_color

I will be adding the patterned panels to these pants with this fabric:
https://www.joann.com/cosplay-by-yaya-han-stretch-fabric--black-scuba-hexagon/15469265.html#q=yaya%2Bhan%2Bscuba&start=1

I also purchased this for the piping on her pants.
https://www.joann.com/yaya-han-sew-on-viking-knot-pleather-trim-0.75-black/16526725.html#q=yaya%2Bhan%2Btrm&start=1

I will be using a black, stretch knit for the top and have a preliminary pattern already made for it.

Boots have been ordered from Crow Props and should be arriving in a few more weeks.

My friend is a stylist and we did a whole tutorial on how to do Cara's hair with long hair (mine reaches down to about 6 inches past the bottom of my bra strap). Here is a front and side shot of the finished look.

I will be using matching colored ribbon when I do it for real. Since this was a practice attempt, we used what was handy.

My friend is printing my armor for me and as soon as it is done, I will get started painting it and getting it attached. I'm thinking magnets are the way to go with this but still debating.

I've purchased 4 TK boxes to go on the back of my belt and have sanded, primed and painted them. Now I am going to weather them to get the worn out feel of Cara's.

I'm not sure yet how I am going to attach them but I'm sure something will come to me. Mr. Green

For the lower belt and gauntlets, I am using this material as a base.
https://www.joann.com/richloom-studio-upholstery-vinyl-san-francisco-aegen/16610628.html#q=vinyl&prefn1=prod_type&srule=keyword_search_rule&prefv1=Product&start=1

It really is a teal in real life but it's showing more of a green online. Anyway, I purchased 3/4 of a yard which should be more than enough for the gauntlet cuffs and the belt.

I'm slowly making headway and will post as I get more done.
In progress/submitted: Padme Amidala Deleted Scene/X Wing Pilot/Clone Wars Padme (maroon vest)
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Amelia (Emily Haas)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're thinking she falls here, too!

That hair tutorial!!!! That's amazing! That's been one of the big things that has been holding me back from considering this costume; I don't want to cut my hair or wear a wig. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing that info!
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompom
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anybody working on a CRL for this character? I have a potential member who is keen to build this.
Albuquerque, NM

The Force will be with you...always.
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mstage1 wrote:
Is anybody working on a CRL for this character? I have a potential member who is keen to build this.

The standard proposal for this character and this costume has been posted in the new standards development area of the detachment. All people are encouraged to add their opinion to the discussion. It is not finalized so we can definitely change it as needed.
In progress/submitted: Padme Amidala Deleted Scene/X Wing Pilot/Clone Wars Padme (maroon vest)
Amelia (Emily Haas)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to follow up on LeiaAurora's post - here's a link! http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110330 Smile

There's also a build group that might be something your member would like to look through. It's on Facebook at - https://www.facebook.com/groups/570584660139672/
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FINALLY had some time to put in some work on this build. I've been busy making things for others so my stuff got pushed to the back burner BUT today I was able to make significant progress!

I tackled Cara's belts first. The bigger one, that hugs her thighs, was the main focus for me on Saturday. After studying references, I decided on a plan of attack. I cut the aqua vinyl I had purchased and attached it to craft foam for backing. I then spaced out 3/4 inch strips the entire length and top stitched them. I then took some spare black vinyl I had and used that for the trim. I cut double the width I needed so I could fold it in on itself easily. Her hip belt is a bit wider than her waist belt so I made this one 4 inches wide. I also added Velcro to close it.

I had planned on using TK boxes I had purchased but they didn't look right. Someone in our FB group is doing a run on the boxes and on the other belt pieces and I already commissioned him for them so hopefully should get them in about 3 weeks.

Here is the finished belt on.

Once that was finished, I tackled the other belt. This was a bit trickier as I wasn't quite sure how I was going to get the double effect with the bubble areas. I ended up making 2 belts, the middle section and then the outer. The middle section I ended up using vinyl and cotton. I lined the belt with leftover cotton and then flipped it on itself. Once that was done, I topstitched the loop areas and then I inserted zip ties I had laying around to get the proper roundness.
Once that was done, I then cut a second piece of vinyl, big enough to topstitch on the ends and did the same thing. I then took the smaller belt, attached it to the bigger belt and sewed it in place. This belt ended up being 3 inches wide.
With both belts as complete as could be with what I currently had, I did a try on.

The pants I am wearing are the Walmart pants I will be modifying next. It fits great and holds well. I walked around for a bit wearing both belts and they stayed in place, no problem.

I then tackled the gauntlets, gloves and arm bands. They were tricky but I am happy with the progress. I need to further paint the armor but so far, so good.

Lastly, here's a side by side. I'm very happy with my progress this weekend. Hope to start on the top and pants next weekend but we'll see.

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made up my mind to finish the pants today and I did! Had a few hiccups along the way but it ended up working out.

I took the preexisting Walmart pants, https://www.walmart.com/ip/Time-and-Tru-Women-s-Millennium-Side-Zip-Pant/636797622?variantFieldId=actual_color, and used a fabric pencil to trace out where I thought the panels would fall. I should note here before I go any further that I deliberately sized up on these. I would probably fit in a 8/10 but got a 12 as I knew I would be cutting up the pieces and they would take out the extra room.

I traced the panels needed and then cut them out from both sides of the pants, leaving the center pants panel and crotch area alone. Once they were cut out, I also cut the side seams of the pants as Cara's has them and I needed to add that back in. Here is what the side panels looked like after I cut them out.

I ended up buying WAY more fabric than I needed of the Ya-Ya Han fabric but I guess better safe than sorry. I believe I ended up using a little over a yard and 8 inches for both panels on both legs with plenty of room to spare.
I had purchased the Ya-Ya Han Viking piping and added that to the pants when I sewed them back together. To add piping to one full leg, front and back, I used 2 yards and 3 inches. So total, the 5 yards of piping I purchased was more than enough for both pant legs. Here is a link to the piping I used.

It was extremely easy to put the panels back on. The last thing i need to do is add a slightly higher waistband to the pants to finish them. You can see in this photo here that her waistband is quite high and hidden mostly by the waist belt.

That I will try and add in the next day or so. Here is a closeup of the piping and panels added to the pants.

I also got some painting and weathering done on my gauntlets last night. Here are the finished pieces.

Also a decent side by side of the real deal and my armor next to it.

I went ahead and tried everything on tonight and I am SO pleased with how quickly this has come together.

Hoping to get the undershirt finished tomorrow but we'll see. I have a 12 hour work day ahead of me so can't promise but man, I really hope I can get it finished!
Pamelibrarian ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks amazing! Are your armor pieces foam?
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pamelibrarian wrote:
This looks amazing! Are your armor pieces foam?

Thanks! No 3D print.
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to work on the undershirt the other day. I used this pattern, View C.

I used black 4 way stretch spandex from JoAnns for this. I originally cut it as a size medium but that ended up being far too big and not as fitted as I would have liked so I ended up taking roughly 3 inches off each side to make it more fitted.

For the sleeves, I cut them out and then created individual channels in the portions required. I estimated they were roughly 2 inches apart. Her sleeve has a bottom hem and then three of those roped areas on the actual sleeve.

I had originally thought to use this coil to fill the channels but it isn’t quite wide enough so I’m thinking I’m going to use paracord instead.

Other than buying the cord and putting it through the channels I made, I just need to attach the individual sleeves to the shirt and this portion of the costume is done.

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally finished the damn sleeves. I had to redo them twice before I was happy with them. My first sleeve was fine but too long. The second one worked but the spacing was off. This pair I was able to accomplish by making the spacing one inch apart. I'm pretty pleased with it and moving on to the over tunic. That will be the "fun" part.

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made it my goal to finish the outer tunic today. I used the following pattern as the base.

The princess seams and center back seam are already there. You just need to fix the panels under the arms.

I measured from my shoulders to my natural waist and then adjusted the pattern to that length.

I also used this piping for the princess seam piping by the bust.

The pattern sizing is way off. Knowing how the fabric stretches, I sized from a size 20 (which is where my measurements put me) to a size 12. It's a good fit but honestly, I prob could have done a size 10, no problem. I plan on making a second back up to this shirt and that will be the size I will make it.

Initial try on of the top was great. All the seams were perfect.

Here are the pieces all cut out and ready for assembly.

When I remake this, I plan on using a scuba knit. This spandex is nice but my machine absolutely hated it AND it just isn't thick enough to look great against the Yaya Han fabric.

Here is the mostly finished top before I added vinyl etc to the top.

Once it was finished, I decided to do a try on. Excuse my RBF. It's been a long day lol

I only have one shoulder bell at the moment as my friend still needs to send me the rest of the armor he printed for me BUT this looks good and has perfect sizing.

I received the printed blaster pieces in the mail today so I plan on working on that so I can finally make the holster for it and my boots are being shipped from Crow Props on Monday. Remaining armor will ship hopefully this weekend as well. Things are finally nearing completion and I am excited!
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This top will be the death of me with all it's little details but MAN is it gorgeous when it's all put together. I redid my entire top yesterday. While I was happy with version 1, I knew I could do better. I also revised the pattern so it would fit me closer to the bust and I am so glad I did!

The entire top took me roughly 4 hours to construct with all the topstitching details and hand painting etc needed. It also didn't help that the zipper I had installed broke Mad when I was doing the final try on and I had to go and remove all the top stitching and regular stitching to remove it and put in a new one.

Since my last post didn't really have closeups, here are closeups of the details. I had to wait for the paint to dry overnight so that is why it currently doesn't have one side painted but it is painted now and currently drying! I am so, so, so happy with the progress made on this, I can't even tell you.

Here are a few changes I made to version 2 of this top for those interested in making it for themselves.

I put the entire front section together and then added the strapping before putting on the side pieces. I had forgotten about them when I made version 1 and then trying to put them on after the top was put together was NOT fun. I spaced the strapping 1.25 inches apart. I cut the vinyl for the bottom piece at 3 inches in width and then glued it to the back with a little bit of whip stitching to hold it in place. My first version had a visible top stitched seam that shouldn't have been there. Shocked

I also attached the piping MUCH closer to the fabric instead of leaving so much room. This helped tremendously in how it sits and shapes over the bust line.

I mentioned I wasn't super happy with the black spandex I used for version 1 so here is the material I used instead. It is much thicker and worked better in my machine.
https://www.joann.com/yaya-han-cosplay-4-way-stretch-matte-fabric--black/14748750.html

I purchased about 1/3 of a yard and it was MORE than enough for what I needed it for.

The paint I used is this that I found at JoAnn's.

The last things to do on this would be to add the center panel pieces after they have been painted. Those were printed by my friend and should be sent out shortly.

He had no issues with the files I had purchased until the last shoulder bell. For some reason, it kept crapping out.

It was odd as the first one had printed fine but he finally got it to work. Here are all the remaining pieces that will ship to me shortly.

Other than a few things needed that are "soft", I have done all I can on my own. I am literally waiting on others to get the remaining items I need.
#IStillHateWaiting

Oh! Side note. A local friend printed her blaster for me. I received it yesterday and sand and painted it and let it dry overnight. I plan on finishing it up paint wise today and then working on her holster. It appears to be part vinyl and part leather. I have to study references a bit more but at least I have an idea of what is needed.
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the painting and sewing on the outer top was finished today! I'm just waiting on the armor to arrive.

Closeup of the side panel paint detail.

Last edited by LeiaAurora () on Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Jyn Erso and Other Rogues All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: