Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8cefc2f513528a593b4b4f233f0400adMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

[Open Discussion] [New] - Ben Solo Rise of Skywalker
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> KJO Standards Development -> KJO New Standards In Progress
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larirenshadow ()
Endor Base CO
Endor Base CO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:16 am    Post subject: [Open Discussion] [New] - Ben Solo Rise of Skywalker Reply with quote

Proposed Ben Solo Standard. Still gathering images and if there are others available please comment with them!

Quote:
Standard Name: Ben Solo
Primary Detachment: Knights of the Jedi Order
Submission Date: 12/26/19
Existing Standard URL: N/A

Front Image
URL: https://photos.app.goo.gl/tRDyc9c2LmoyuEnQA
Source: Rise of Skywalker

Back / Second View Image N/A
URL:
Source:

Character Description
Ben Solo is the son of Leia Organa and Han Solo. After training to be a Jedi with his uncle, Luke Skywalker, Ben Solo fell to the Dark Side and assumed the name Kylo Ren. He is part of a Force Dyad with Rey and they can communicate via their bond. After being healed by Rey from a wound she inflicted he choose to return to the Light. As part of his final act Ben Solo gave his life force to Rey to bring her back from the dead. (Source: [url=...]Wookieepedia[/url])

Required Items

Shirt

Item Image: https://photos.app.goo.gl/tRDyc9c2LmoyuEnQA
URL:
Source:

Required Details
Shirt is long sleeved
Made of a black textured material
Round neckline
Hole the diameter of a lightsaber blade in the front of the shirt, bottom right about below the costumer’s ribcage.

Optional Details
Mirror image hole in the back of the shirt

Pants

Item Image
URL:
Source:

Required Details
Pants are black, coated relaxed fit jeans.

Boots

Item Image
URL:
Source:

Required Details
Boots are Kylo Ren boots
Made of leather, or leather-like material, black and have a medium gloss shine with no visible laces or zippers.
Have a rounded toe and a smooth textured appearance.
There is 4 strips of vertical ribbing from the base of the ankle to the top of the boot.
Two straps at the at the top and two at the bottom around the ankle.
Each strap is fastened by a rectangular buckle on the outer side of the boot.

Lightsaber

Item Image
URL:
Source:

Required Details
Lightsaber is the reforged graflex

Hair

Item Image
URL:
Source:

Required Details
Hair must be wavy and messed
Black preferred

Optional Items

Facial Makeup

Item Image
URL:
Source:

Required Details
Make up to mimic the facial bruising and bleeding as seen on screen

Costume Resources:
• Reference Photo Gallery –
• Member Build Threads –
• [Other Resources….]

bitchincosplay (Alicia Meyers)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've been looking for options for the boots since the movie came out and I've only recieved one suggestion from people which is the Kylo boots from CROWPROPS.com

https://crowprops.bigcartel.com/product/kr-boots-final-version?fbclid=IwAR2NHK__LRD_IhIV_GDk2brrXfCPTIRM0h5xvLWO_mMJefBF9MA1944P4uA

Does anyone have any other options they know of that would be approved but maybe a little more price-friendly? These are $265 and while I know Ben's costume is already a fairly simple build, I thought I'd reach out one more time before I drop and buy these!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the photos I have!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gd15ImaZTMlcHUkGg4lTF57QDQ9jdIi0nOzLOI7iNFo/edit?usp=sharing
Kylo_Lyn (Lyn Adams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black waxed denim pants, with seam on the back of the knee, and four 1in darts angled at each point of the four corners of the knee.

Granted, this falls to assuming he is wearing the same pants as he does in his Kylo Ren attire, which based on the context (and the fact he's still wearing his Ren boots), isn't unreasonable.
Dax-Kai (Griffin Reina)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there. it looks like you have a good start on this. I've completed the breakdown and reference thread for this costume. That can be found here:
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1108444#1108444

I can assist with a draft revision of the standard if you'd like (I was planning a scratch written one, but then I saw this)

Additionally, for the pants, boots and hair, I'd advise viewing the TLJ Kylo CRL from 501st here: https://databank.501st.com/databank/Costuming:KyloRenSupreme

The segments there for pants and boots should match entirely, and it also describes the cut of Ben's hair, if not the exact styling from the scene.

If you would like my assistance in any capacity on this, please do not hesitate to reach out.
Kylo_Lyn (Lyn Adams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be noted the specifications on the reforged graflex saber.

Lightsaber

-The lightsaber is Graflex type lightsaber
-Lightsaber has brown leather wrap around center clamp
-Burn marks stick out from under center clamp
-Lightsaber has 6 black grips around the bottom 3rd
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking maybe the burn marks should be optional? I think the only saber that has that right now is the Galaxy's Edge reforged they recently released and I don't believe they're requiring TROS Rey's to have them as long as they have the brown strap details
Kayleesi (Kay)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitchincosplay wrote:
I'm thinking maybe the burn marks should be optional? I think the only saber that has that right now is the Galaxy's Edge reforged they recently released and I don't believe they're requiring TROS Rey's to have them as long as they have the brown strap details

Graflex detail judging in general has previously been a little /wobbly hand gesture.

The burn is pretty visible on the hero prop imo, but I agree: the standard should be consistent.

Saber Guild / Kamino Temple
Global PR Director

Rebel Legion / Alpha Base
Dax-Kai (Griffin Reina)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a write up on the standard, which I submitted to the proposals, I was advised to move this into this thread by Agustin. Here's the standard draft I wrote up:
Dax-Kai wrote:
Ben Solo - Redemption

Hair and Face

-The costumer is clean shaven.
-The hair is brown in color and shag style (tangled).
-It is comprised of varying lengths: shorter in the front and progressively longer towards the back.
-May be achieved with the individual's own hair, extensions or high quality lace front wig.
-An Alexander the Great styled haircut should be used, which has three varying lengths: Just above the eyes in front.
Below the ears on the sides (though should still taper and have varying lengths). Down to the shoulders in back. These varying lengths should not be abrupt; they should blend and transition well into one another.
-The hair should not be straight. It should have some curling and look unkempt. It should be swept back and have no visible part.

Tunic

-The tunic is black and made of a crinkle "gauze" type fabric.
-Tunic is a relaxed but form fit. It is not baggy, but not tight.
-The tunic sleeves are attached with a dropped shoulder, approximately at mid-bicep
-Sleeves are straight cut and fitted, without being tight. Sleeves end at the wrist when arm is extended, and rumples slightly on the hand when arm is relaxed.
-Tunic has a "Boat neck" neckline with tear-dropping on either side and a slight drop that is even in front and back.
-Tunic is mid thigh length with no waist seam or back yoke.
Skirting is A-line cut, and open on the side seams from the small of the hip downward.
-Tunic has no top stitching or visible hems. This maybe be achieved by lining or imperceptible hems.
-Tunic has an approximately 1.5" circular hole in the abdomen on the wearer's right side approximately at the base of the ribs. A matching hole on the rear of the tunic at the same elevation, and of the same size should be present.

Pants

-Fitted plain black denim.
-Resin or wax coated with a uniform finish & sheen.
-Darts present above and below the knee.
-Seam at the back of the knee.
-Pants are high waisted.

Boots

-Made of leather, or leather-like material, black and have a medium gloss shine with no visible laces.
-Have a rounded toe and a smooth textured appearance.
-There are 4 strips of vertical panels from the base of the ankle to the top of the boot.
-Two straps at the at the top and two at the bottom around the ankle.
-Each strap is fastened by a rectangular buckle on the outer side of the boot.
-Buckles on the boots are black.
-The four horizontal straps excess (tongues) should be cut at an approximately 45 degree angle (top to bottom) and not be longer than 1 inch (25mm).
-There are 4 ribs (including 5 piped edges) from the sides of the boot starting at the ankle.
-The heel of the boot has four pleats wrapping around the back of the boot.
-The sole is flat.
-Three vertical ribs (including four piped edges) of equal width.

Optional Items:

Tunic

-Additional Hole damage on the top of right shoulder, near the collarbone. This should be about 2 inches in diameter.

Lightsaber

-The lightsaber is Graflex type lightsaber
-Lightsaber has leather wrap around center clamp
-Lightsaber has 6 black grips around the bottom 3rd

Makeup

-Cheek bruising and cut under left eye.
-Cut on right side of lower lip at the bottom.
-Bloody abrasion on shoulder under rip (If tunic has additional hole detail listed above)
Kylo_Lyn (Lyn Adams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kayleesi wrote:
bitchincosplay wrote:

Graflex detail judging in general has previously been a little /wobbly hand gesture.

The burn is pretty visible on the hero prop imo, but I agree: the standard should be consistent.

I saw one of the prop sabers at Hollywood Studios yesterday, and the burn marks are very visible. Its not glaring but its a detail that sets the saber apart from its prior counterparts.
riathewolf (Alexandra Wolsiefer)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weighing in to say that we have not been currently looking for burn marks on the sabers when judging the Reys. And I would vote to keep that consistent as this is the same prop. The judging of Graflex's in general has always been rather loose. For example if you have the Luke or Anakin version as a Rey you're still accepted. So I would suggest the burn marks be optional. So long as you obviously are going for the reforged look I would think it would be fine.
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think keeping the standard worded as a “textured material” is best. While I agree it has the look of cotton gauze in a few shots, in others it looks to be much thicker. For comparison, here is a fabric I located against the fabric used. The fabric on top is not gauze but a knit but has very similar weave.

Also the wording of the pants. Can that be more specific? Right now the proposal says “coated”. This could be confusing for those unaware of how Kylo’s pants are made designed.

Thanks for starting this thread, Jen. I know many people are interested in this costume.

PR/Social Media Team for RL Strategic Command
PR/Social Media Team for Rogue Detachment
Costume Mentor
In progress/submitted: Cloud City Leia, Vice Admiral Holdo, Cara Dune, Clone Cadet
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
wolffin around ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link for the shirt fabric
https://www.joann.com/sew-classic-specialty-cotton-solid-gauze-many-colors/xprd810632.html#q=Cotton%2Bgauze&start=1
riathewolf (Alexandra Wolsiefer)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think is you want to stay away from the word Gauze that is fine. But I would recommend using the term "crinkle" in describing the texture. That way people don't get confused and have a good starting point.
Baris_Alrisul ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would argue that the drape and weight are more important that having the exact same texture. Havibg judged a couple of these on the SG side now, I have noticed that crinkle gauze bears notably less resemblance to the garment we see on screen that some of the textured knits folks have been trying out, as the crinkle gauze is too light-weight, and doesn't take dye well enough to be that deeper saturated black. I would personally recommend leaving the language as-is.

Charter Review Committee US Representative
KJO Costume Captain for the Prequel Trilogy
DL of Eadu Delegation
Pride Squadron Mod

Leia (Senatorial, Ceremonial, ESB, and Issue 12 Jedi)
Resistance X-wing Pilot (Human/Pantoran TFA and Briefing Room)
Generic Jedi (Human/Pantoran)
Depa Billaba
Amilyn Holdo
Jawa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> KJO Standards Development -> KJO New Standards In Progress All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: