Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=55b2ca5b068aa7c367a8b7847c717053Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ben Solo Hilt for Generic Jedi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghostlightkeeper ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Ben Solo Hilt for Generic Jedi
Event: 14 Jan 2020

Hi friends!

Just a quick question. Would it be possible to use the Ben Solo Legacy hilt for a generic Jedi build?

I have no ulterior motive other than I think it looks amazing. I've seen some discussion about using sabers from named characters but after looking at the regs and seeing nothing about it I'm just curious if anyone has a firm grasp on if I could buy this or if I should go another route.

Thanks!
Grimwalker (Derrick Billings)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not NOT allowed. I don't know that it's preferred. Since Lightsabers are not a required component except that they not be *toys*, I don't think there is a prohibition.

If you're a Face character, you can't use another character's saber, though.
ghostlightkeeper ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. That's what I've gathered from the forums thus far. Suppose the safest route would just be to create one.

I honestly don't feel like when in costume I'd be carry around a blade all the time as it would seem cumbersome. So many I should look around at a cool hilt and use that.

Thanks for the reply!
Grimwalker (Derrick Billings)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought so too, but I just have some notably short blades for trooping when I’m going to be among people and don’t want to be a hazard. Short enough I can clip the whole thing to my belt without it touching the ground.
ghostlightkeeper ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh okay. Further complicates my choices! Hah

Under Generic Jedi regs I do see that the lightsaber is listed under the required items. Only mention is that the blade is optional. Interesting.
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have missed something here but if your making a generic Jedi Knight costume and you want to use a face characters lightsaber hilt...I don't see it in the standards that it isn't allowed, heck it's all a ton of us had for over 10 years when the RL started. I've copied generic standards below so if there is a Costume Judge here who wants to comment please do. In the meantime I don't see anything that says it is not allowed.

5. Lightsaber:

(No toy sabers, no Ultimate FX short saber). The lightsaber may be a static prop (hilt-only). Attached blade(s), LED lights, and sound effects, are allowed but not required.

a. Metal hilt lightsabers are preferred, though custom lightsabers constructed of other materials are permitted.

b. Blade colors accepted are: blue, green, yellow, orange, white and violet. No red, pink or black blades.

c. Double-blade sabers are allowed.

6. Lightsaber Clip:

Covertec or similar style lightsaber clip OR a hook/clip for lightsaber on belt.

a. For the “hook/clip” type of lightsaber attachment, the lightsaber (itself) will likely have a D-ring (similar to the connection system for the armored Darth Vader and Old Ben lightsabers).
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this question came up a few months ago. this is the official position from the LMO:

ladysolo14 wrote:
There has not ever been a rule that I am aware of where we do not allow “Hero” sabers for generic Jedi nor will there be as long as I’m LMO. There are some things about the Star Wars universe we won’t really ever know and therefore we would have to make some assumptions. This thread is going down the path of assumptions if we start restricting Hero sabers to Hero characters.

Our job is not to interpret the Star Wars universe but to do our best to replicate. In the terms of generic Jedi we often have to go off of reference of face characters to determine what the “uniform” should be and as such the sabers. Therefore to eliminate the idea of Hero sabers for generic Jedi makes no sense to me. It’s also another rule on top of many that will cause confusion for applicants.

so, yes! Hero Sabers ARE allowed for generic jedi. cheers!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the judges stated in forum, something like "noone is rejected due to face character lightsaber, when applying as generic jedi".
As long as it is not a toy or a visibly cheap/plastic prop, it should work.
Regarding a specific product, ask a judge in a forum.
As some anchor - no Ultimate FX nor official "Savi’s Workshop" plastic sabers are allowed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: