Forum and Costume Controls

   FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3e4cf01962311b68e025d901c2011280Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

       
REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

cpap hose question

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Overlapping Costume Bits
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mrg149 ()



Joined: 26 Apr 2019
Posts: 75
Location: Hawthorne, NJ
Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:23 am    Post subject: cpap hose question Reply with quote

working on an idea and wondered if a cpap hose can be repainted

1) any prep work before adding a primer coat?

2) spray paint? Something more flexible?

any tips or tricks welcome
_________________
“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Posts: 4497
Location: Portland, OR, USA
Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the hose made out of? Vinyl or plastic? You'd need a primer that works for whatever the hose is made out of.

However, spray paint usually isn't very flexible. As soon as the hose moved a bit the paint would likely begin to crack and flake off. Acrylic paints tend to be a bit more flexible but I don't think they'd be flexible enough for a hose. You'd probably be better off just buying a hose of the accurate type and color.

What are you trying to do with it?
_________________
B-wing Pilot - Jedi - Resistance X-wing Pilot - Temmin "Snap" Wexley
-Former RLSC XO - Former RLSC Costume Judge - RL Pilot Costume Mentor

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mrg149 ()



Joined: 26 Apr 2019
Posts: 75
Location: Hawthorne, NJ
Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
What is the hose made out of? Vinyl or plastic? You'd need a primer that works for whatever the hose is made out of.

However, spray paint usually isn't very flexible. As soon as the hose moved a bit the paint would likely begin to crack and flake off. Acrylic paints tend to be a bit more flexible but I don't think they'd be flexible enough for a hose. You'd probably be better off just buying a hose of the accurate type and color.

What are you trying to do with it?


I'm playing around with an old CPAP mask of mine and creating a half mask or rebreather with it. Just a fun little project to keep me occupied.

I think the tube is probably vinyl or some kind of plastic. I'm not really looking for it to move around as I'm using it as more of a visual accent that would remain stationary.

I decided to roll the dice and try spray paint for now. If it cracks and such, it may lend an interesting texture as I weather the mask.

The interesting part is that there is an overlay that is used for the straps for the mask. I'm using a hammered steel paint for that and a dark hammered metallic spray for the mask-proper. I will detail different parts of the mask with some gunmetal paint and then weather everything to give it that worn Star-Warsy look.

Like I said, a fun project with no real point other than to practice skills and maybe freak people out at the grocery store Evil or Very Mad
_________________
“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
mrg149 ()



Joined: 26 Apr 2019
Posts: 75
Location: Hawthorne, NJ
Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have to do a final clear matte coat. But here's what I came up with:

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1jLhK57bCOW9ARzy_ehLcG2wq5QkHsH5H

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1fp91W8u2BO4sBe4tiHCyyIkxfG6BjEfX

let me know what you think..seriously[/img]
_________________
“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Posts: 4497
Location: Portland, OR, USA
Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrg149 wrote:
Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
What is the hose made out of? Vinyl or plastic? You'd need a primer that works for whatever the hose is made out of.

However, spray paint usually isn't very flexible. As soon as the hose moved a bit the paint would likely begin to crack and flake off. Acrylic paints tend to be a bit more flexible but I don't think they'd be flexible enough for a hose. You'd probably be better off just buying a hose of the accurate type and color.

What are you trying to do with it?


I'm playing around with an old CPAP mask of mine and creating a half mask or rebreather with it. Just a fun little project to keep me occupied.

I think the tube is probably vinyl or some kind of plastic. I'm not really looking for it to move around as I'm using it as more of a visual accent that would remain stationary.

I decided to roll the dice and try spray paint for now. If it cracks and such, it may lend an interesting texture as I weather the mask.

The interesting part is that there is an overlay that is used for the straps for the mask. I'm using a hammered steel paint for that and a dark hammered metallic spray for the mask-proper. I will detail different parts of the mask with some gunmetal paint and then weather everything to give it that worn Star-Warsy look.

Like I said, a fun project with no real point other than to practice skills and maybe freak people out at the grocery store Evil or Very Mad
Oh, so you're not using it for a pilot costume?

If the hose is going to be mostly stationary the paint should be okay. Spray paint just isn't very flexible so it doesn't work well for, well, flexible things. Unless it's a floral spray paint, that is usually a bit more flexible as it's for artificial flowers and such. You could also use Modge Podge, put down a layer or two of them, brush on some acrylic paint, and then another couple layers of the Podge. Modge Podge is fairly flexible. I've used it to paint boots.
_________________
B-wing Pilot - Jedi - Resistance X-wing Pilot - Temmin "Snap" Wexley
-Former RLSC XO - Former RLSC Costume Judge - RL Pilot Costume Mentor

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mrg149 ()



Joined: 26 Apr 2019
Posts: 75
Location: Hawthorne, NJ
Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
mrg149 wrote:
Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
What is the hose made out of? Vinyl or plastic? You'd need a primer that works for whatever the hose is made out of.

However, spray paint usually isn't very flexible. As soon as the hose moved a bit the paint would likely begin to crack and flake off. Acrylic paints tend to be a bit more flexible but I don't think they'd be flexible enough for a hose. You'd probably be better off just buying a hose of the accurate type and color.

What are you trying to do with it?


I'm playing around with an old CPAP mask of mine and creating a half mask or rebreather with it. Just a fun little project to keep me occupied.

I think the tube is probably vinyl or some kind of plastic. I'm not really looking for it to move around as I'm using it as more of a visual accent that would remain stationary.

I decided to roll the dice and try spray paint for now. If it cracks and such, it may lend an interesting texture as I weather the mask.

The interesting part is that there is an overlay that is used for the straps for the mask. I'm using a hammered steel paint for that and a dark hammered metallic spray for the mask-proper. I will detail different parts of the mask with some gunmetal paint and then weather everything to give it that worn Star-Warsy look.

Like I said, a fun project with no real point other than to practice skills and maybe freak people out at the grocery store Evil or Very Mad
Oh, so you're not using it for a pilot costume?

If the hose is going to be mostly stationary the paint should be okay. Spray paint just isn't very flexible so it doesn't work well for, well, flexible things. Unless it's a floral spray paint, that is usually a bit more flexible as it's for artificial flowers and such. You could also use Modge Podge, put down a layer or two of them, brush on some acrylic paint, and then another couple layers of the Podge. Modge Podge is fairly flexible. I've used it to paint boots.


I'm just playing with some junk I have sitting around the house. I look at it as "practice" and skill building exercises.

Thanks for the tips on paint options!
_________________
“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member


Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Posts: 4497
Location: Portland, OR, USA
Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck!
_________________
B-wing Pilot - Jedi - Resistance X-wing Pilot - Temmin "Snap" Wexley
-Former RLSC XO - Former RLSC Costume Judge - RL Pilot Costume Mentor

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Overlapping Costume Bits All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can post calendar events in this forum
The Rebel Legion is a worldwide Star Wars costuming organization comprised of and operated by Star Wars fans. While not sponsored by Lucasfilm Ltd., it is Lucasfilm's preferred volunteer Rebel costuming group. Star Wars, its characters, costumes, and all associated items are the intellectual property of Lucasfilm. © 2020 Lucasfilm Ltd. & ™ All rights reserved. Used under authorization.


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group