Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d4597d47ccd57d0eee37ce1ab99d9222Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Endor Commando Leia WIP/Questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love your little 'hood monster'! Mr. Green Colors look great!
And nice looking blaster, too.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

jennyruth ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a bunch of mess-ups, I got the holster made for the blaster. It is made of 6-7 oz. full grain veg. tanned leather, dyed black.

Hereís the pattern I created for mine:

Last edited by jennyruth () on Mon May 25, 2020 2:50 am; edited 1 time in total
jennyruth ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the front pouch also completed. Itís made of black suede and is perfect for having some Ewok snacks handy.

The pattern I drafted:

jennyruth ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This communicator has not been very cooperative, but I think I finally got it to a place I can be content with.

I purchased the original printed piece from Shapeways. I originally painted it with a beautiful aluminum Alclad paint but messed up the finish and came back with some silver Rub Ďn Buff and a satin-like clear coat on top. That more closely matches her muted gray color so I canít be too disappointed.

The red line is a small piece of adhesive vinyl, placed after painting the white ďbutton.Ē For the screen part, I ended up covering a piece of black craft foam (I used 2mm but 1mm may work just as well or better) with a layer of E6000 and then carefully placed a piece of clear film/plastic on top. After it dries really well, I cut it (with scissors) to the size of the hole. Iíll include a picture of the package of clear plastic I used below. There is probably a better method, but
This made a nice, shiny piece that resembles a blank technology screen.

The band was an Apple Watch band I found at Five Below. I cut it and sewed the ends around the side bars.

I found packages like these in the model car section of the hobby store.

Last edited by jennyruth () on Tue May 26, 2020 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
jennyruth ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished up the last two pouches. Now I need to tackle the hair ó yikes!

P.S. The color of the belt is not accurate in this photo.
jennyruth ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Love your little 'hood monster'! Mr. Green Colors look great!
And nice looking blaster, too.

Haha! Thank you! My friends were really curious what I was working in when I showed them a picture of my little Endor monster 😂
Belia Darzu ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this build! Thanks so much for posting, it is definitely helping a lot with mine!

Where did you find the belt buckle? I am having such a hard time finding a 3 inch tall Tri-Glide. Most I've seen are 2 inch maximum.
jennyruth ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belia Darzu wrote:
I love this build! Thanks so much for posting, it is definitely helping a lot with mine!

Where did you find the belt buckle? I am having such a hard time finding a 3 inch tall Tri-Glide. Most I've seen are 2 inch maximum.

Iím so glad itís helpful!! I havenít finished adding everything to it yet, so hopefully it will be even better for you.

This is the one I got. It says 2Ē, but thatís the spacing for the belt. Itís whole height is a bit more. Strapworks Black Plastic Tri-Glide Slide Ė for Bag Straps, Rifle Slings, Dog Collars - 2 Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KUWMXMK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ILe1EbYCN66BA
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your progress looks great! Very Happy Well done.

AmyRhubarb ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jennyruth wrote:
Belia Darzu wrote:

Iím so glad itís helpful!! I havenít finished adding everything to it yet, so hopefully it will be even better for you.

This is the one I got. It says 2Ē, but thatís the spacing for the belt. Itís whole height is a bit more. Strapworks Black Plastic Tri-Glide Slide Ė for Bag Straps, Rifle Slings, Dog Collars - 2 Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KUWMXMK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ILe1EbYCN66BA

Yay - this is what I was looking for! Thanks for providing such great photos and links - I need a different buckle for mine, the one I have is too big and the belt slides around in it.

Everything looks great! You are inspiring me to finish mine!
jennyruth ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmyRhubarb wrote:

Yay - this is what I was looking for! Thanks for providing such great photos and links - I need a different buckle for mine, the one I have is too big and the belt slides around in it.

Everything looks great! You are inspiring me to finish mine!

Thank you so much! This build took me a long time, and I got very stuck in places. Please let me know if you have any questions. I am going back to add in some more build details now that I'm finished and approved.
jennyruth ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hair. Leia's hair is its own kind of life form. This is how I created mine.

I ordered three packages of kanekelon hair from Sally beauty. This is the kind I use for both my big ANH buns and these braided ones. Number 6 most closely matches my hair color, so that's why I get that one.

I use my hair dryer to lightly and patiently run some heat over the hair to smooth it out a bit so that it more closely resembled my own hair.

Those three bunches became these parts:

For the crown double braid, I essentially made a headband, based on information from Priscila Ferreira in the Bun Squad fb group.
I started braiding (just a tiny bit) all of the hair at the folded end. I secure a ponytail holder at the end with some tiny rubber hair bands.

Then, I split the hair into two main sections and braid each one separately. When I got near the bottom, I braided them together again. I also attached a button with tiny rubber bands. When I put the braids on my head, the ponytail holder slips over the button and holds it around my head. I used suede lacing to wrap around after I completed the braids. Honestly, it stays so well on my head that I don't even put pins in it, and it helps cover up anything weird my hair is doing in the front.

The back braids, I used Jeneyrecosplay's tutorial on Instagram to add wig clips onto hair. Then, I braided them. I ended up trimming the length to make the buns the size I needed.

For the back buns, I put my hair in pigtails, braid them, and wrap them into small buns. Then, I clip in the braids using the wig clips. I actually clip them in sideways so that the braid is facing the direction I want to start wrapping. Then I just wrap it over my own braided hair and use hair pins to secure them. Tuck the ends in the braid when finished.
jennyruth ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here is my finished costume, approved late last month.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing the way you did your hair with us. Smile

jennyruth ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
It looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing the way you did your hair with us. Smile

Thank you! (And, you're very welcome! Her hair is always so intimidating to me so I appreciate it when others share how they did it.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: