Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8a82b0c08233be9dcfd5ba6f30e5b8ffMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Sabine Wren S1 Build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> TV shows Rebels and Clone Wars costumes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gungnirs Flight ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Sabine Wren S1 Build Reply with quote

Hi Folks

What turned from a Sabine Helmet build from Santa has turned into a full build for my daughter. She is currently 5`4. I am going to build it adult size based on Etiyanas templates so she is able to grow into it. She has quite a few years before she can join the RL but has a few troops under the belt as a GA member. I am trying to build it to meet the RL standards. So far I only have the helm. It has an issue with the range finder which I have to remodel. It is a 3D printed PETG make. Looking to make the armour out of sintra.

What do people use as a visor and for a lining on the inside of the helmet.

IMG-6757 by Jade Pembo, on Flickr

IMG-6758 by Jade Pembo, on Flickr

IMG-6756 by Jade Pembo, on Flickr

IMG-6760 (1) by Jade Pembo, on Flickr
Gungnirs Flight ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the helmet largely done. Moving onto the body armour.Never tried this before and was a great to try to learn a new skill. Made it from the PVC sheet and the shoulders from 4" (100mm) PVC pipe. I did not like the shape of the first shoulders so I recut a better shape going of screen shots.

I have given them a coat of black specialty plastic primer, then 2 coats of aluminium for the base colour.Looking at the screen shots the body armour is a shade of colour in between the Wine Gum and Purple of the helm.

Have makers out there given it a base coat of the pink then a dusting of the darker purple or have you used a whole new colour entirely.

IMG_6813 by Jade Pembo, on Flickr

IMG_6879 by Jade Pembo, on Flickr
Evaarla Kal (Emily)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically welding visors are used in mando helmets. Just make a paper template and then cut it out. As for padding, there are many options. Some people use foam, some use those hard hat rigs, some use motorcycle padding. For my custom mando I made all my own helmet padding from quilt batting, but for Sabine I actually found that I didn't need padding because of the wig, just a piece of batting at the top to grip the wig so the helmet doesn't slip and slide around. Hope that helps.

Armour plates are looking good so far.
Gungnirs Flight ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Emily I found the welding visor and go it in. Helmet just needs some internal padding, weathering and the 3 black stripes at the back.

On a good note I have just been approved in the RL as a Bith Musician.

Started to paint the armour. The peices have 2 coats of stain black plastic primer, 2 coats of silver, added some toothpaste weathering. I then gave it 2 coats of the Purple Rain and a dusting of the Wine Gum. Due the dark contrast in colour the Wine Gum came up really speckled and dotty. Just went back to the Purple Rain. Before I go any further what do you folks think?

Was thinking to add some grey weathering powder and sealer after everything was done.

IMG_6957 by Jade Pembo, on Flickr
Gungnirs Flight ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Base coat painted the rest of armour. Bought a can of Acai Red which looked darker for the armour than the Purple Rain. Turned out it was lighter. So i have decided to give it a magenta wash when finished.

Had some father and daughter cosplay time and did a bit of toothpaste painting to get the paint chip effect. Less is more but we went a bit over the top, as shown in the picture. Thats been dialed in some what with some more purple.

Next is to get the graphics on the armour and weather some more with 600-800 grit sandpaper to peel back the purple paint to expose the silver, to give it a scratched look compared to the chipped.

IMG-7010 by Jade Pembo, on Flickr
Gungnirs Flight ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made some progress and proved that I am no way an artist. Man that was hard. I reference and worked off a heap of printed screen shots as well as NebulaGirl and Fays great work on the forum.

Wow that checker pattern and the wolf shoulders were difficult. Putting a flat checker pattern onto a curve shoulder was difficult. I covered the shoulder bell in painters tape, then started with a block of 4 squares in the center 20mm by 20mm. I slowly worked may way out to the edges adjusting the lines by eye so they somewhat kept to a square pattern. Trimmed out the squares I did not need an, it worked.

For the wolf head I photocopied the head till I got the size i was after. Covered the shoulder with the tape and placed a cut out outline of the flat wolf on a curved shoulder. The lower jaw was adjusted to suite the curve of the shoulder.

IMG_7011 by Jade Pembo, on Flickr

The neck lightening bolts were hand drawn in on a neck peice covered in painter tape and trimmed up with a hobby blade. The cintra was soft and the knife would not the tape properly. But more or less it worked.

From a good screen shot i noticed the white lines on the right breast plate were not straight so I added a slight curve so they we not so uniform.

IMG_7014 by Jade Pembo, on Flickr

I started to 3D print off the paint sprayer from a file on thingiverse while waiting for the paint to go off. Its been wet in here and some of the paint has been taken off with the tape.

IMG_7015 by Jade Pembo, on Flickr

I am having trouble getting the silver weathering right. Tried some weathering on the elbow pieces with some modelling acrylic paint and a brush and the out come was not what i was looking for. The sand paper using 600 grit did not work out to well as it still ate down to the black primer and was too inconsistent.

How do you get that weathering effect that Fay did so well on her armour. I have marked in in red in the picture.

IMG_7013 by Jade Pembo, on Flickr Fays Weathering_LI by Jade Pembo, on Flickr
Gungnirs Flight ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finish the Starbird on the LHS breast plate.

IMG_7016 by Jade Pembo, on Flickr
Gungnirs Flight ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has been a bit slow on the progress, life gets in the way of fun. I have made templates for some of the metal parts for the belt and sent them off to be made by my old man who was a sheety with an airline before retirement. Hopefully they work out and will be made out of stainless. The belt will be made adjustable to accommodate the daughters growing.

With no trooping going on I am going to hold off doing the soft parts and strapping. All the hard parts have been made adult size. However the daughter keeps growing and her kit soft parts she has no longer fit. When trooping starts up again I will get that done.

Finishing the helmet. I added the 3 stripes at the back of the helm. They were painted in even through they should have been cut out. Managed to get some left over foam from a friends Tauntaun build and made the helmet liner.

IMG_7190 by Jade Pembo, on Flickr IMG_7191 by Jade Pembo, on Flickr

Made and shaped the foot armour. The splatted them up along with the paint sprayer some extra colour. I splatter like a TK shoots, their is more on the house and fence than on the armour and sprayer.
IMG_7188 by Jade Pembo, on Flickr

My wife prefers no Westars and I have to respect that. I cant have Sabine with nothing in the holsters, so in place of those I have made a holster for the paint sprayer out of some scrap left over leather and plan to print a dark saber for the other side. I plan to attach them via Chicago screws so they can always be changed over at a later date. This is the Darksaber to be printed off. Etiyana used this one for her S3 build - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2188594

IMG_7192 by Jade Pembo, on Flickr
Stellar Corona ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to pop in and say this build is looking great! Have you though about how you're going to do the softparts yet?

Going by the current standard, your daughter will eventually need the westars if she wants to apply when she's old enough (even if she doesn't want to troop with them), but it sounds like she has lots of time to worry about that.
Gungnirs Flight ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got back into the build after a couple of months wait. Ordered some belt parts from Darmans props. Has taken approx 2 1/2 months to get from the US to AUS. The parts I made were made from thin scrap and tended to bend as the metal was not hardened.

The belt is loose and on top of some thick clothing. There is a bit of space for her to grow into it. Trying to get the sizing and then match the detail has been difficult to get right. As you can see in the photo a lot of changes were made to the sizing on the template. Final measurements are in blue. I hope they are correct.

I cut the belt first then sewed it up so it fits correctly on the body. Being a single hidden hole that needs to be right. I then made a carboard template next, found the centre and worked back from the centre to each side to find where the holster straps would be sitting.

The holster straps are in 2 pieces each side. To make a single piece would waste a lot of expensive leather material due to the shape. They sit approx 225mm below the top of the belt. From the screen shots they are not exactly straight or a perfect 1/4 circle so I tried to find a shape in between that matched more to the screen shots.

I can either butt stitch them to make a single piece or can join them at the holster with some small diameter Chicago screws to keep the 2 halves together.

Sabine Wren by Jade Pembo, on Flickr

Gungnirs Flight ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straps have been cut but am looking to change the colour of the belt I purchased. Under light the colour of the belt I bought is more like the "Cordovan" and on the red/brown in colour but going through screen shots it more like the "Brown" in my colour test samples.

What do you folks think?

Belt Comparison by Jade Pembo, on Flickr
Gungnirs Flight ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belt is taking shape. Its was dyed, then washed in water to get some of the dye out to make a worn look. Next is to seal and condition. The condition should blend the colour better.

I have started the holsters. Formed a solid shape of a blaster out of some left over plastic sheet and tape. Made a template out of some thick 3mm plastic and traced the shape onto some 3mm leather. Cut the grooves to form a squarer box shape. I am trying to keep the stitching as minimal as possible, preferably to the rear of the holster. Its been wet moulded into shape and now to try to do a box stitch to keep the edges at a 90 degree square.

Fingers are firmly crossed for the next couple of steps on the belt, but there is only one way to learn.

IMG_8262 by Jade Pembo, on Flickr

IMG_8301 by Jade Pembo, on Flickr

IMG_8302 by Jade Pembo, on Flickr
Gungnirs Flight ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belt almost done. Holster pattern worked.

IMG_8314 by Jade Pembo, on Flickr

IMG_8313 by Jade Pembo, on Flickr

IMG_8312 by Jade Pembo, on Flickr

IMG_8311 by Jade Pembo, on Flickr
Stellar Corona ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That belt turned out great! Looks wonderful.
naberrie ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this looks fantastic so far! loving all the photos and can't wait to follow the progress Smile
Member; RAID, UCGR, KJO, RLGS.
she/they
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> TV shows Rebels and Clone Wars costumes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: