Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=13baf3aec5910e153f0f7a8a3b49752dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

TROS:General Leia Organa Costume Discussion/Reference Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Sequel Trilogy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doinit4carrie (Amy Young)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently pulling my hair out over this belt!

I thought I had it figured out, but there are a couple of problems.

The brass sheeting is very difficult to roll down tightly and keep together. Placing it over the plastic tubing makes that piece look fat like big macaroni. I have experimented with just the brass, that doesn't work because it won't tighten enough to keep from having a gap. If I compress it tighter it just wraps around the links and doesn't create a tube.

I then decided to use metal tape around the plastic tubing. This seems to work. I had silver on hand, and some gold spray paint, so I painted over the tape to get an idea. It looks good but rubs off too easily. I'm thinking of trying gold tape with dulling spray and then brush with a black wash to get the patina look.

But the size of the tubing is bugging me too. If I get a thinner tube, the inside diameter is not enough and then the whole thing flattens out when trying to span over 2 links. Does this matter? Yes.

Then there is a matter of the size of the slide/link. The 1.5" looks good sitting in front of you, but add another set below and this makes for a very wide belt. But maybe that's okay. It's decorative. It also may just look a little big on me because I'm 5'1". With this in mind, I tried a shorter length slide/link, 1". But it's looking too square and frankly not so impressive as the larger one, even with two sets running one on top of the other. I also tried the original oval slide buckle idea with the metal tape covered tubing. It kind of falls into the same unimpressive looking category.

Conclusion? The larger links and larger tubing (that won't flatten out), covered with metal tape is probably best as a base. The links will get sanded and dulled and sprayed with a dull gray. I'll use gold tape over plastic tubing, either sanded or lay a dulling spray over them. Then the black spotting and wash for a patina.

Why plastic tubing? There are no brass beads or tubing available that are slit along the length to roll around the link sides. That's why I tried the sheeting.
I suppose a jeweler with the right tools could make the right wire for links and make the brass beads. But I am not a jeweler, so this is my best shot.

Please have a look at the different photos comparing links and tubing. Please let me know which you think looks better.

Thanks!

https://imgur.com/a/KiGCUYb
RebelLady (Kristina Gundersen)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 2 (View more...)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So of the two options you have above, I agree that the 1.5" rectangle looks better, but the tubing looks super thick compared to the refs? I wonder if getting a brass tube from someplace like a hobby store and cutting it into pieces and then running wire through the tubes to create the rectangles wouldn't be an easier and more durable way to make this- especially since you could make the width proportional to you?

This type of tool is designed to cut tubing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LBMQN2Z/

And this tubing looked about the right size?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z98SQC2/

Edit: and I just saw your build thread. Great minds!
Sunrider Base Charity Officer 2016-18
-------------------------------------------------------
Mon Mothma, OT Pilot, Willrow Hood, Resistance Officer, General Leia Organa (Raddus Bridge), ANH General, Mirax Terrik, Lyra Erso
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I think you picked the correct size on the tubing. Oh my figuring this out has been costly. I also need to make some kind of block so I create uniform sized and squared rings.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I DID IT! FIGURED OUT THE BELT!!!

Using brass pipe and aluminum wire. Check my WIP for details and photos:

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1126230#1126230
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Sequel Trilogy All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: