Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=91e7d3c330c13b3aa4c37c03f08eabb7Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Vector design flight suits, Revised Proposal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> RLSC Standards Development -> RLSC Standard Revision Proposals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyongKai (Brian Mah)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:50 am    Post subject: Vector design flight suits, Revised Proposal Reply with quote

I have created a page in the RL forum to generate interest in creating visual aides for the various pilot jump suits.

The jump suits will become vector images so there can more accurate measuring when the flight suits are preparing for fabrication and sewing.

Below is the proposal.

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=105822

Last edited by RyongKai (Brian Mah) on Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
RyongKai (Brian Mah)
Active Legion Member

Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am wondering if there is still an interest in having a vector database to make flight suits.

I understand pilots want to get all hoses, vests, and etc right. The most important thing to get right is the flight suit itself. I am a vector graphic designer so my designs might look ridged, but they serve as a reference in case a seamstress needs to do a repeat order of flight suits.

This way it will be easier for him or her to get a blueprint of the flight suit and then create the same flight suit design, with proper measurements easily displayed on the blueprints.

I feel this is a long over due problem that needs to be addressed and approved.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone is against the idea, I just don't see as much enthusiasm as you for doing the actual work.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kman wrote:
I don't think anyone is against the idea, I just don't see as much enthusiasm as you for doing the actual work.

I have been noticing that.

This is pretty important step in the costume process.

I might need some help to 'jazz' the post up a bit.

I make things work... other people can make things look pretty.

:p
RyongKai (Brian Mah)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone has ideas to make the vector flight suit more appealing to members. I am all ears!

My design sense is more rooted in 80s-00's design trends. I have being a professional design since the 90's. It has been an uphill quest to find what 'clicks' with the younger generation.

Onward and upward?!
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyongKai wrote:
If anyone has ideas to make the vector flight suit more appealing to members. I am all ears!

My design sense is more rooted in 80s-00's design trends. I have being a professional design since the 90's. It has been an uphill quest to find what 'clicks' with the younger generation.

Onward and upward?!
Have you tried shooting a message over to the RLSC CO? Maybe he can help "advertise" for you? Otherwise things have been pretty quiet in the RLSC, both here on the forum and in the Facebook group.

I'm not very good at drawing things or creating vector images so I'm pretty much useless for that sort of stuff...

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Pagil M'gar (Patrick Gillies)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 7 (View more...)
Paris Support Badge (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are working on the new standards formats. Any input should go to the specific standards in this forum.

I can tell you the goal is accuracy, not standardization. A fan made design based on one on-screen pilot may not be the best way to depict the variety of pilots or RL members.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Charity Liaison 2016-2018

Rebel Legion Starfighter Command
Knights of the Jedi Order
Clones of the Republic
Docking Bay 94
RyongKai (Brian Mah)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pagil M'gar wrote:
we are working on the new standards formats. Any input should go to the specific standards in this forum.

I can tell you the goal is accuracy, not standardization. A fan made design based on one on-screen pilot may not be the best way to depict the variety of pilots or RL members.

My goal is both accuracy and standardization, but given some flexibility to the different costumer.

Where can i submit my proposals. I haven't heard from anyone on to where i can post.
Pagil M'gar (Patrick Gillies)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 7 (View more...)
2016 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post in the thread for OT pilots.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Charity Liaison 2016-2018

Rebel Legion Starfighter Command
Knights of the Jedi Order
Clones of the Republic
Docking Bay 94
RyongKai (Brian Mah)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pagil M'gar wrote:
Post in the thread for OT pilots.

I posted the threat in the x-wing old trilogy (ot) Thread. Is this the correct listing?
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a vector image? I still use a pencil and ruler to make my patterns Smile
Massiff Squadron CO

"The value of moving slowly is that one can always clearly see the way ahead."
RyongKai (Brian Mah)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philonius wrote:
What's a vector image? I still use a pencil and ruler to make my patterns Smile

It means using mathematical computation programs, such as AutoCAD and Adobe Illustrator.

Illustrator is a modern approach to pencil and ruler. I was one of last classes in the 1990s to do the old drafting method. I still do this when i dont use illustrator. ^_^
Jabari ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, AutoCAD and Adobe Illustrator are only useful if you actually have the programs and the ability to use them, modify the pattern to your size, and then have the ability to print them out correctly.

While having a starting pattern is useful, frankly, as someone who is multi-sized on most commercial sewing patterns, I'm still going to re-hand-draw most things when I'm sewing a costume. Pencil and paper is an easier and faster way to modify a pattern while sewing. And "standardization" is completely useless when you need to do adjustments to make things actually fit correctly.

What is far more useful is knowing the proportions of things. For example, if I know that a typical Jedi obi is three times the width of the belt, I can pick the belt that fits correctly and make an obi that looks right on me based on that measurement.

(Besides, over-standardization is actually one of my problems in finding a flight suit for Blue Squadron, as no commercial makers currently have women's sizing, which is a problem as I can't fit into their men's sizes and I can't find the right fabric to just make my own. Tall thin men are not the "standard" human. Women are not just small men, either. :/ )
RyongKai (Brian Mah)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jabari wrote:
For what it's worth, AutoCAD and Adobe Illustrator are only useful if you actually have the programs and the ability to use them, modify the pattern to your size, and then have the ability to print them out correctly.

While having a starting pattern is useful, frankly, as someone who is multi-sized on most commercial sewing patterns, I'm still going to re-hand-draw most things when I'm sewing a costume. Pencil and paper is an easier and faster way to modify a pattern while sewing. And "standardization" is completely useless when you need to do adjustments to make things actually fit correctly.

What is far more useful is knowing the proportions of things. For example, if I know that a typical Jedi obi is three times the width of the belt, I can pick the belt that fits correctly and make an obi that looks right on me based on that measurement.
(Besides, over-standardization is actually one of my problems in finding a flight suit for Blue Squadron, as no commercial makers currently have women's sizing, which is a problem as I can't fit into their men's sizes and I can't find the right fabric to just make my own. Tall thin men are not the "standard" human. Women are not just small men, either. :/ )

I understand your situation. Illustrator can help adjust the shape and length of each individual's costume. I have difficulty putting things to words on subject i have limited knowledge, such as sewing and fabric patterns.

I would like these vector designs to adapt to each individual's body dimensions. I just need help on how to put this in clear understandable writing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> RLSC Standards Development -> RLSC Standard Revision Proposals All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: