Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=fdb1c1e643bab1d36b4c00174140c889Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Old Rex Build for Kashyyyk Base
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Clones of the Republic -> Animated clones
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackthorpe (Simon T)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More progress on Rex today. Sanded all of the bondo and started the first coat of primer, but ran out before I could finish. The forearms are looking pretty good, at least the left one, but looks like I'll need to do some more work on the right. But the comlink is on, which is pretty exciting. The greaves need more work, though. I've only done one layer of bondo on them so far. The holsters look ok, but also need some spots filled in.

2020-07-05_02-33-11 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

20200705_163454 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

20200705_163523 by blackthorpe, on Flickr
Mysterious Stranger ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are making great progress here.

For attaching the two halves of the chest armor together you can try velcro at the shoulder straps on the front. I know a few standard clones that do it this way. That will definitely make it easier to get on and off as you're just popping the back piece on and velcroing the front at the shoulder straps and sides.

For your shoulder bells, velcro on the shirt should work if you don't want to have the straps from the chest armor. I'd also suggest some thin elastic to wrap around your bicep to help keep the shoulder bells in place.

Looks like you've figured out the problem with your shoes and the shin armor. I was going to suggest looking at white nursing/chef shoes on Amazon. That's what I have for my clone and they work really well and are comfortable too.

For the helmet, I wouldn't suggest trying to make the IS bucket fit. Its a small helmet and the work you would need to put into it to make it fit almost isn't worth it. Look up EVO3 on Facebook. He sells a larger 1 piece helmet that should work for you. He's a little slow to respond but his helmets are worth it.

Oh yeah, I know the guy you got your helmet greeblies from. He's a Rebels Rex here in SoCal.
Blackthorpe (Simon T)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! The problem with using the velcro for the chest armor is that Old Rex is supposed to have seamless shoulders, and the straps are different than a standard clone. I'm still thinking about doing the velcro, though, and cover as much as I can with the over-straps.

I think I will probably end up going with the strap from the armor for the shoulders, along with a strap around the arm. People in my local forum have suggested some kind of T strap that scout troopers use.

I am hopeful about the shoe, shins. The shoes I got are as you described, nurse/chef shoes from Amazon. They are comfortable, but would be better if they came up higher in the front, if that makes sense.

I'm not going to try to adjust the helmet. In fact, it's for sale if anyone wants it. I ordered a 3-D printed helmet from Imperial Armorer on Etsy. It hasn't arrived yet, but they wanted head measurements to print the right size, so I'm pretty confident about it.

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
You are making great progress here.

For attaching the two halves of the chest armor together you can try velcro at the shoulder straps on the front. I know a few standard clones that do it this way. That will definitely make it easier to get on and off as you're just popping the back piece on and velcroing the front at the shoulder straps and sides.

For your shoulder bells, velcro on the shirt should work if you don't want to have the straps from the chest armor. I'd also suggest some thin elastic to wrap around your bicep to help keep the shoulder bells in place.

Looks like you've figured out the problem with your shoes and the shin armor. I was going to suggest looking at white nursing/chef shoes on Amazon. That's what I have for my clone and they work really well and are comfortable too.

For the helmet, I wouldn't suggest trying to make the IS bucket fit. Its a small helmet and the work you would need to put into it to make it fit almost isn't worth it. Look up EVO3 on Facebook. He sells a larger 1 piece helmet that should work for you. He's a little slow to respond but his helmets are worth it.

Oh yeah, I know the guy you got your helmet greeblies from. He's a Rebels Rex here in SoCal.
Blackthorpe (Simon T)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did more filling and priming on the forearms, holsters, and greaves. The forearms are ready to paint, but the others need more filling. Ugh. Sanding sucks, and I'm pretty sure my neighbors are tired of hearing it. I was feeling really frustrated with the greaves as I was sanding them after the last coat of primer with how much still needs to be done, but after I brought them in and rinsed them off they aren't as bad as I thought. I'm hoping I can get these parts ready to paint this weekend so I can move on to the chest and the belt.

2020-07-11_08-45-55 by blackthorpe, on Flickr
Blackthorpe (Simon T)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did some work today. All of the pieces that I have far enough along have now been painted white (greaves, forearms, belt pouches, holsters, shoulder bells, hand plates, and foot plates). I think tomorrow I'll get the blue stripe on th6 shoulders, forearms, and hand plates. I dont think I can do the chest plates on my own. They need to be reshaped a bit (the pic is me pushing it against my body and forcing the sides and straps to be more open), and I don't have the tools or experience to do that. I'm looking into alternatives for the belt that came with the kit. For one thing, I dont think it's accurate, and I would like to find something that would be a bit more comfortable. I also need to lose some weight around my middle. 🙁

2020-07-18_07-32-34 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

2020-07-18_07-16-55 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

Last edited by Blackthorpe (Simon T) on Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blackthorpe (Simon T)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More work today on the arm parts. Got the blue on and did some weathering on it. I did the sanding before I took the tape off, which was not the best idea, so I'll need to go over it again to soften the edges, but thatwill have to wait until tomorrow because I lost the light. Then I'll put the tick marks on the white parts. I'm going to hold off on doing the overall weathering until all of the parts are ready and do it all at once.

2020-07-19_09-31-08 by blackthorpe, on Flickr
Blackthorpe (Simon T)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I managed to get some boiling water into my kitchen sink and do some shaping on the chest plate. And I only burned my finger a little bit! Then I took some handy blue tape and put it together with the back and inner straps, and i am happy with how it is coming. I worry that I won't have enough flex to get it on if I make the shoulders seamless, especially after they get filled in and smoothed, and my head just barely fits through the neck hole, so I am thinking about attaching one or both sides with velcro to make it easier. The overstraps will mostly cover the seam. The gap on the sides (which are supposed to be open) were not as wide as I expected them to be, which was a nice surprise. I feel like this is really coming together.

20200721_182315 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

20200721_182324 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

Last edited by Blackthorpe (Simon T) on Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blackthorpe (Simon T)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the belt put together tonight. It's ok, but I'm not happy with it. I may still try to go another route. Having to raise the buckle portion was a pain.
(Sorry for the dirty mirror...)

20200723_214017 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

20200723_214044 by blackthorpe, on Flickr
Blackthorpe (Simon T)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made good progress this weekend, though not as much as I'd hoped (I wanted to be to the painting stage today), and had a setback.

I got the shoulders bondoed, sanded, and bondoed a second time, but there is one spot that must have been too deep because the filler isn't setting. I think I got it to where what's left has hardened and I can slowly fill it in, maybe after the sun goes down. I'm really only focusing on the edges and about a centimeter or two in; the rest will be covered by the overstraps.

20200726_190832 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

20200726_190912 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

I dyed my baseball pants and they came out perfect. Pictured is the pants and the material I got for the knees.

20200726_190659 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

Now for the setback. I hadn't really tried on the greaves since I got them painted and wanted to see if I could get them to work with the shoes I got. The answer is no. For one thing, when I finally got the things on, there was a huge gap on the top of my foot, maybe 2 inches, between the shoe and the greave. Not only that, but the bottom of the greave caught on the shoe as I was putting it on and ripped in two places. So, I'm going to figure out something else for the greaves. Any ideas? Maybe I'll find a way to modify these for my mando.

20200726_190003 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

20200726_185952 by blackthorpe, on Flickr
Blackthorpe (Simon T)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took longer and was more of a pain than I expected, but I got the shoulder straps attached. I wanted to get them on before priming and painting so the glue would bond better, and it still may not have. I'm going ro leave it overnight and put primer on in the morning, then fill in what needs it. Hopefully I'll get to paint it tomorrow.

20200731_212719 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

Last edited by Blackthorpe (Simon T) on Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blackthorpe (Simon T)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First coat of primer is on! Along with what I hope is one of the last coats on filler. Before priming, I took some bits of string and ca glued them on the sides as weld lines, letting the excess glue on the edges add to the effect. It ended up with a bit more dimension than I anticipated, but I think it's looking pretty good. Still needs some cleanup, but I like where this is going.

20200801_133633 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

20200801_133601 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

20200801_123056 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

20200801_123035 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

Last edited by Blackthorpe (Simon T) on Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blackthorpe (Simon T)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That belt buckle turned out pretty good, if i do say so myself! I think im going to take the velcro off of the front pouches and glue them to the belt. The stick out too much currently. The back pouches are velcroed to the support belt, which sets them back a little bit.

20200802_203456 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

The chest has been completely painted white (aside from one little spot from when I had it laid down that I'll need to sand and fix tomorrow), and I got the greeblies installed in the back. Next will be painting the weld lines.

20200802_205013 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

20200802_205120 by blackthorpe, on Flickr

I'm working on redoing the greaves, and should have them done soon. Then all that's left is making kneepads and attaching them to the pants and a whole bunch of weathering. I can feel the finish line approaching!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Clones of the Republic -> Animated clones All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: