Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ee5edc11d4cb827a16adb4a87553b82aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Sabine Epilogue Build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> TV shows Rebels and Clone Wars costumes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stellar Corona ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Sabine Epilogue Build Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

I finally decided to go through with a new Sabine build, and decided the Epilogue kit was the one for me. Been working on it for a few months. I'm going for MMCC and RL approval, so I've been working with the MMCC app team and though I should probably share here as well.

The good news is she has the same belt/bandolier set up as season 2, so I can use all my leather goods on both kits. Sad news is the epilogue flight has grey panels on the arms and black and grey pants, so a fabric search was in order. I found a nice ponte knit at Spandex World that came in black and charcoal. They're reasonably stretchy so I'll be able to get my head through the collar. It's also a slightly heavier fabric that my season 2, so it should hold the weight of the plates pretty well. When I actually feel like cutting the patterns out, I'm adding color blocking to 2 free patterns from Mood.

Next was a wig, since I plan to keep the season 2 hair once my salon reopens. I chose a dark purple hermes from Epic Cosplay. It should just need a minor trim and styling to get rid of the "let me speak to your manager" cut.

Another change to the epilogue, is unlike season 2, the boots are clean, which meant finding a a comfy low wedge my feet can tolerate. Convention floors have not been kind to my feet in my season 2 wedges, which are about an inch and a half, but somewhat narrow. I ended up with these wider and better padded ones from Duluth trading. They end at the same point on my leg as my season 2s and are more comfy.

From there I started in on color matching. My go to brands are Montana Gold and MTN 94, so in photo shop I did some matching with a paint dropper to figure out best matches. I did some with screen shots (in sunlight where possible) and some with the concept art so I could get a decent average. Ultimately, MTN 94 had the closest matches, so now I'm the proud owner of a crap ton of paint and an assortment of caps for different effects and blending.

Plate wise, so far I've got the chest, ab, collars, boots, and elbows into paint. For most pieces I pulled out my season 2 templates. I went through 3 sets of chest plates before I got a shape that seemed pretty close without being too wide or too tall for my short torso. Not being able to get the downsides of trying to convert animation to someone who is not 5'9" and a size 2 with no cleavage, I guess. Hopefully they make the cut with the app team. I'm still tweaking my shins, knees, and shoulders. The chest plates, I filed out the light slots, and will be filling them with a transparent yellow resin and backing with an EL panel. I began painting over the weekend. Trying to go with the final show version where possible because there are definite difference in paint designs, but the show didn't have good shots of say, the shins, where I'll have to rely on the concept art.

Sizing spacing (season 2 suit pictured)

EL Panel

Differences in Concept Art and Finished show:

And current paint. I'll probably remove some of the paint chips, as the show ones don't match the concept art, now that I'm getting better quality screenshots. The Orange stripe on the chest definitely needs more red added as well.
Stellar Corona ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a little more painting done. I've been advised to use the finale screen shots where possible, so there's been much zooming of screen shots to get as good a view as possible. The right collar plate was fun. From the closest front shot, it appears maroon with a red line, with pretty much no weather, but from the top the outside half seems more orangy, with no stripe. For the right chest plate, the bottom portion is the dark grey in the concept art, but on the show is definitely misted with the lighter grey. Then, there are differences in weathering between close and distant shots, so I've tried to reconcile them best I can and do weathering that looks like it could be there and is in line with previous seasons (nothing is blackwashed yet though).

Collar Front, where it looks maroon and red:

Top and back, where it's more maroon and red/orange:

Right chest plate, where the bottom section is predominately lighter grey.

For the collar plate I laid a maroon base and then blended a bright red and orange over it. The chest Plate I think I may mist in a little bit more of the dark grey, particularly around the light slot as that part should be much darker.
Stellar Corona ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the elbow plates finished. These I had to extrapolate between the episode and the concept art because the lighting was terrible in the show. Ended up using a brighter orange, with three people and hints of maroon.

For the left elbow, both the show and art look to use orange striping. The art had a decent amount of chip weathering, which I decided to include, as I know from experience it's realistic. My season 2 elbows take a lot of abuse and have developed quite a few dents.

For the right, the art has purple striping, but the show all that's visible is a little touch of orange. I decided to add the purple, because the lighting on with the elbows in shot on the show is particularly awful. It's shaded and weirdly desaturated, with even her blue shoulder appearing grey in it.

After the elbows I got to work on the shins. I originally drafted my own pattern, but didn't like how they turned out, so instead I pulled out Eitanya's templates and modified them slightly. I made them a couple inches shorter, and then narrowed the opening where the boot plate slots in so the openings wouldn't be overly wide once shaped, since they're supposed to pretty much touch all the way around. Once they were cut, I shaped them over my boots and have spent today filling and sanding any wrinkles in the edges. I still have to widen the bottom to fit the boot plates, but that will take a few minutes with a dremel.
Stellar Corona ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between the heat and humidity, it's been harder to work on stuff, but it's still coming along. Good news, is I did find the thinner elbow joints at a Lowe's, so I managed to saw one shoulder out before it got super hot.

With the humidity, I decided to try filling the slots in my chest plates. I picked up some color pour resin and dye from joanns since I didn't need a lot. It was easy to work with, but after I set the plates aside for it to set, the table they were on got shifted and the resin spilled over into my paint job :'( this meant sanding down the corner areas and repainting them. I think some strategic scuffing and black washing that I was already planning on, should help blend the before paint and after paint pretty well.

From there, I moved onto shins and boots. Sadly, there are no clear shots of them in the show, just some orange blobs. So I turned to the concept art. We have three different angles but no right side view, so had to make up some weathering there. The right boot plate is the only one with a medium grey, so I had to get a whole can of paint for about 2 square inches. :rolleyes: these photos are fresh so there's still a bit of latex to peel.

And the whole thing as it currently stands:
stardancer1914 (Star Dancer)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is AWESOME! When you get it done and approved we may have to move thread to tutorials and ask you to help write the standard!

United Citizens of the Galactic Republic DCO 2016 to 2020
MEB Membership Officer & Tosche Temple Mistress Oct 2018 to present
UCGR - DXO 2015
Legion Costume Judge - Jedi & Rebel Supporters 2015 to 2017
Mos Eisley Base - Grand Canyon State
Stellar Corona ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stardancer1914 wrote:
This is AWESOME! When you get it done and approved we may have to move thread to tutorials and ask you to help write the standard!

I would be happy to help! I'm actually a few small steps from being done, I've just been slowly copying over my WIP from the MMCC forum.

Between the heat and humidity, it's been harder to work on stuff, but it's still coming along. Good news, is I did find the thinner elbow joints at a Lowe's, so I managed to saw one shoulder out before it got super hot.

With the humidity, I decided to try filling the slots in my chest plates. I picked up some color pour resin and dye from joanns since I didn't need a lot. It was easy to work with, but after I set the plates aside for it to set, the table they were on got shifted and the resin spilled over into my paint job :'( this meant sanding down the corner areas and repainting them. I think some strategic scuffing and black washing that I was already planning on, should help blend the before paint and after paint pretty well.

From there, I moved onto shins and boots. Sadly, there are no clear shots of them in the show, just some orange blobs. So I turned to the concept art. We have three different angles but no right side view, so had to make up some weathering there. The right boot plate is the only once with a medium grey, so I had to get a whole can of paint for about 2 square inches. :rolleyes: these photos are fresh so there's still a bit of latex to peel.

And the whole thing as it currently stands:
Stellar Corona ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After many more stupidly humid days, I got more painting done. First up was the knees, where I again had to use the concept art since there are no clear views in the show.

From there I moved onto the shoulders, which required some spot putty and shaping to get right. The right shoulder was the easier of the two, with a simple purple and maroon gradient. I used a combination of the art and screencaps to try to get the size and placement right. I have the alliance starbird painted on, but it needs a couple touch ups so no closeups yet (I may have cut too deep when weeding the tape and forgotten the maroon ring around the yellow).

The right shoulder was an experiment in painting techniques. Ultimately I felt careful application of stripes to make a gradient looked best. There's also an issue where it photographs differently on every background and in every light I can find.

After that came adding the space whale, which I had to sketch 3 times before it fit correctly. I then hand painted with custom mixed acrylic.

As it stands, I need to touch up the alliance starbird, color the chest diamond, blackwash everything, trim my wig, and finish sewing my flightsuit. Demon Dogs tells me my bucket should ship Friday or Saturday so fingers are crossed I have it next week.

Stellar Corona ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a wait, my helmet finally arrived! I ordered the Demon Dog Studio's Wren size small. All in all, it's a very nice cast, high quality with just a few small imperfections, easily fixable with spot putty and some sanding. What I like most though, is it actually fits my head. Here's some comparisons with my S2 NME - keep in mind the NME has a hardhat harness in it because it's so big and that barely keeps it off my collar plates. The DDS has no padding at this point.

[img width=316 height=650]https://i.imgur.com/7Ydc7qz.jpg[/img]

The biggest issue I've found with the DDS bucket is the ear cap proportions. When I unboxed it, I thought they seemed small, but after discussion with my RS and a fellow clan member on the Canon App team, we decided it would probably be approvable (and unnoticed) when painted correctly, if not 100% accurate.

After going back and forth for a day, I decided I couldn't fit the necesary design on the small ear caps, so I started modding. For the left, I cut a piece of 6 mm sintra to the right size, then carved out the inside so it would slot onto the existing earcap. I then filled the gaps and sanded smooth.

For the right, I cut the original earcap off the range finder with a utility knife and replaced it with a large piece of 3 mm sintra. I also extended the rangefinder stem slightly with some 6mm sintra so it still protrudes correctly.

Finally got it primed and steel coated, and started taping/masking off the silver outline (my hand is not steady enough to paint them in at the end with a pen). Sadly, even the best curves tape I've found, still bubbles on the tight radius curves on these buckets, so I use a mix of tape and latex masking fluid. This was going great till I managed to spill my latex all over the couch...so I'm stuck till a new bottle gets here.

Stellar Corona ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After much struggle with tape, I finally got some work done on the helmet this weekend. Suddenly, only my pinstripe tape was sticking, so I had to go through a couple varieties. Finally got a heavy duty one to work, so I crossed my fingers and hoped it wouldn't peel up any of the lower layers.

Started with the dark grey base:

That was when the tape stopped sticking.

After much tears, 2 new rolls of tape, and another spilled bottle of latex, I muddled my way through some colors. I completely forgot to get some in between photos, but I started with the purple, then did some wine red with masking fluid, followed by the warrior red seen on my other pieces. After that was the steinhall red/wine gradient, and finally the grey/lavender gradient around the bottom. That one is my favorite, it's actually a light brownish grey with a transparent purple oversprayed. Fortunately, the tape didn't peel any paint it shouldn't have, but it did leave a residue on the warrior red that I'll need to wash off.

In general, the silver lines turned out really lovely and crisp, though I'll need to touch up a couple spots with a marker. Next up, going to do a light sanding with a high grit paper to even everything out and make some of the chips and the color changes around the earcaps less harsh. After that I'll add the blues to the front, light grey to the silver motif on the front, the light grey symbol on the back, and the key slots warrior red.

Earcap/rangefinder combo are done, but forget to take pictures.

I also ordered a helmet liner for this bucket. Hopefully it won't need any additional padding with the wig.

I also broke down and snagged a pair of new blasters off the facebook group. This is how I always wanted my season 2 ones to look, but no one was printing westar 35s with these details back then. They should be good with a little filler primer and spot putty. Luckily, the blasters seem to be the one unchanging thing on Sabine, so once they're painted I should be able to use them on both kits and retire my old ones.

Stellar Corona ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to add the front details when I got home from work yesterday, but after dinner it got too humid to do the symbol on the brow ridge or the key slots. I did apparently get some over spray on the mandibles, but that's an easy fix.

Also, remembered to get some photos of the rangfinder.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> TV shows Rebels and Clone Wars costumes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: