Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=943eb7a88d3475ed19b08626c2bd35f1Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Generic Jedi WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hobbitsizedtrooper ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Generic Jedi WIP Reply with quote

I hope I'm posting this in the right spot. I'm still figuring out how this whole forum works. So I'm finally beginning work on creating my generic Jedi! I have already ordered the fabric for my outer tunic. I'm so excited!

Question, how do I post pictures? I've seen a post or two on how to, but they're a couple years old so I don't know how relevant they are. Thanks in advance!
roncompt (Ronnie Compton)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best wishes on your Jedi. I just got my first approval a couple months ago. In order to show pictures in your posts you will need to use an external site for your pictures. For example I used Imgur but there are plenty out there. Once you upload your pictures you just copy the links for the pictures you want to use and paste them in your post using BB Code. It will look something like this, but without the quotes and spaces on either side of "IMG". Hope this helps.

"[ img ]https://i.imgur.com/U2XnM03.jpg[/ img ]"

The picture should show without having to click a link. like this.

hobbitsizedtrooper ()

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, let's see if these pictures work!

So I started out by doing a rough sketch of what I wanted my tunic to look like.

Using a pattern/sewing tutorial posted by Saber Guild, I drew my tunic out on graph paper then transferred it to 1 inch grid interfacing. This made drafting my tunic so much easier for me! I had already attempted to make a tunic by combining a couple different simplicity patterns, but that didn't go as planned. I was struggling to find an easy way to make my tunic when I found the tutorial.

Transferring my pattern to grid interfacing. My cat decided to "help".

More to come soon! Hopefully these links actually work!
roncompt (Ronnie Compton)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking pretty good to me. There are some really good tutorials in the forums here. I did a ton of research and planning. Learned the basics of how to sew etc. Im currently working on a better version for my outer tunic. and my cat helps me out as well.

dragonhawkz (Chris Moxey)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome.

In regards to your initial costume idea, it's looks lovely.

What colours are you looking to use?

Just remember, if in doubt, post pictures before cutting the final fabric. It's always easier to thrash out ideas before anything has been made permanent.
hobbitsizedtrooper ()

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonhawkz wrote:
Welcome.

In regards to your initial costume idea, it's looks lovely.

What colours are you looking to use?

Just remember, if in doubt, post pictures before cutting the final fabric. It's always easier to thrash out ideas before anything has been made permanent.

In regards to my color scheme, this is along the lines of what I was thinking. I wanted a purple outer tunic with a darker coordinating lining.

I already have a light gray linen blend I want to use for my obi/tabards so I want the colors for the outer tunic to go well. There is a facebook group called the Art of the Generic Jedi that helps people create their costumes based on Rebel Legion or Saber Guild guidelines. I was posting a lot in that group when choosing my design/colors. The colors for the outer tunic that I decided on were these.

I want the lighter purple for the outer portion and the darker (eggplant) for the lining. According to people in that group, these colors should hopefully be approvable. In hindsight, I probably should have started my WIP here and asked before buying the fabric, but oh well.
hobbitsizedtrooper ()

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mock up of my outer tunic is all done! I'm very happy with how it turned out! I really wish I had taken pictures of how I did the shoulder tucks because it took me a while to figure it out the first time.

Top in progress with help from my cat.

And the finished product!

Had my mom take some full body shots for me.

All in all, I'm happy with it. Does anyone see anything that I should fix or have any advice before I move on to cut into my actual fabric?
kitcatlvr ()

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you line your mock up?! That is dedication! I'm very new still, so no comment on the colors or anything really, but I think it looks nice so far! And I love the unusual colors of purple and grey Smile
jasnoksieznik (Michal)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is something raw and honest in this mockup fabric Smile.

Double check the length of your top vs. skirt. It may be my extra 40lbs speaking, but in my case, the seam between top and skirt of OT keeps sticking out of obi. Plus, if you have a seam in tabards at the same height, it is the same place where tabards come together - this may get too high.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks very nice. Smile Just make sure your waist seam will be under the obi and it should be good. (I assume the extra skirt lines are to frankenstein the mock up fabric pieces together. Otherwise eliminate those, too).

And your colors look like they should work. Not too bright from what I can see. Smile

Excellent work on those shoulder tucks!

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

TheRambler ()

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of fabric is that and where did you get it?!?! ... If you don't mind me asking.

I'm trying to find a light grey linen and that looks pretty much exactly like what I have in mind!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: