Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b515984f6dc4c1d16b45bdd3182fecfbMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Approvable Saber

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stahlforscher ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Approvable Saber Reply with quote

Hey all. I have some questions as to whether or not my new lightsaber would be approvable. I've gotten mixed answers from some of the members I've asked and wanted to get an official yes/no before I apply with it.

It's a custom High Republic inspired saber. The hilt is full metal with blade, lights, effects, etc.

The inspiration is taken from the new Lucasfilms/Disney concept art for the crossguard/quillon inspired sabers shown in the forefront of the image. Attached are some images of the saber below.

Any insight is appreciated. Thank you!
Blackthorpe (Simon T)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice looking saber! I'm not a judge, so don't quote me, but I would guess it would not be approvable at this time. The reason is that all we have so far for the High Republic era is concept art, nothing final and official. That's the reason I've seen for not allowing the costumes, too. That said, you could always get approved with a more standard saber (could even be an empty hilt, doesn't need electronics) and use this one for unofficial troops.
Rocket Va'Bri ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again not a judge, but that is gorgeous. My understanding is that as long as it doesn't look like a toy, it's fine. So you should be all good.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your input! Unfortunately this basically sums up the two different answers I’ve gotten from those in my local chapter.
Milori T'Bell ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why not. It's a regular saber with more greeblies.
jasnoksieznik (Michal)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milori T'Bell wrote:
I don't see why not. It's a regular saber with more greeblies.

Sounds like a death star is a regular pokeball with more greeblies Razz

The reference is clear - it should look like high order saber, but since noone can say if this is correct, it does not apply.
Of course, not every approvable saber must be screen accurate, but note, that this is a different weapon, that does not match movie references. It has no emitters on the crossguard, but it has a crossguard. This causes very different fighting style, far from what (movie) jedi do. This is a huge oversimplification, but movie jedi fought like samurai, while this is a holywood adaptation of european medieval sword.
Kylo_Lyn (Lyn Adams)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its metal with working electronics. I honestly think it looks perfectly fine, as there are some saber smiths out there that make sabers with additional part extensions which are approvable.

I am no judge, but I honestly don't see why it wouldn't be approved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: