Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=4e474f14ed7460900154dc784519a2c8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Bothan facial question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Other Aliens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scouser (Devlin)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:43 am    Post subject: Bothan facial question Reply with quote

Hello,
I am looking to make a Bothan for my wife as a surprise for Christmas since she doesn't like humans and the ewok burns her up.
There seem to be several variations of the bothan face floating around, and I dare not claim to know which are accurate or how many resources there actually are. So my question...

Since it has been determined that there are several types of bothan faces that are apparently to be from different areas (and resources I suppose), the 3 main images I keep finding are the semi-human looking, camel/horse face and large cat face. Are all 3 of these acceptable? I believe she would like the cat faced more than the others.

I see differences in all of them that make me wonder if there will ever be a standard to go by? If there is one, please let me know!! I see difference in distance between mouth and nose, amount of puff in jaw/chin, distance nose is pushed back instead of being directly over mouth, etc. My main fear is that I go through making it and find out it won't be approved at all and I being totally stumped because there is so much variation.

Thank you and sorry if something like this has been asked. I searched for Bothan in the RL search engine and got basically nothing. A few post but nothing that was in last several of years other than discussion about the idea of one being made but no references or builds.

Thanks in advance,
Devlin
Dewkazza - Wookiee Elder (Generic)
Horr'orr - ANH Tusken/Bantha Rider (501st (DZ-91919) & Rebel Legion)
Grand Moff Tarkin (ID-91919)
Tie Pilot Reserve (TI-91919)
Bridge Crew: Engineer (IC-91919)
Imperial Gunner (ver.4) (IG-91919)
naberrie ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be great if someone more knowledgeable than me about Bothans could provide clarification on this but from what I understand, as long as you work from clear official references and can provide these to your judge with the costume submission it should be okay!

just make sure you have a front, back and side view of whichever head and hand style you choose to go with. and that these references are from published star wars material and not from fan arts etc. Past that, as long as the result matches the references, it should still be approvable. so you could pick whichever look/style you prefer, if the cat-like face from more recent times interests you and you can provide references for such. I wouldn't take anything I've said as gospel though Very Happy

Best of luck with your build, it'll be a super interesting one to watch progress and hopefully your other half loves it!

love n light
Beth
Member; RAID, UCGR, KJO, RLGS.
she/they

Last edited by naberrie () on Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bacca9 ()
Assistant Legion Membership Officer
Assistant Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 4 (View more...)
RL Trading Card Design Team (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dev, I have a few of my Bothans approved here in the RL. Glad to assist Smile Be careful on refs, there’s A LOT of fan art out there. For my sculpt, I used refs from the Star Wars RPG books and the comics. I’ve also got a Borsk action figure that was released with one of the comics. Most of the official refs show longer snouts, long, slim ears, short fur on the face, longer hair on the top and back of the head, and a variety of facial hair (mutton chops, staches, smooth chins, etc)

Rebel Legion: Bacca9
Apollo Base Commanding Officer 2017-2020
Legion Costume Judge
Mandalorian Mercs: OM-1107
Scouser (Devlin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to you both. Looks like a solution has been found that will take a bit of pressure of me. I just have no idea how I am going to keep my mouth shut till Christmas about this!! I normally have a 98% fail rate haha.
Dewkazza - Wookiee Elder (Generic)
Horr'orr - ANH Tusken/Bantha Rider (501st (DZ-91919) & Rebel Legion)
Grand Moff Tarkin (ID-91919)
Tie Pilot Reserve (TI-91919)
Bridge Crew: Engineer (IC-91919)
Imperial Gunner (ver.4) (IG-91919)
naberrie ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear! And I know.... I’m the worst for keeping my mouth shut about presents.
Hopefully she loves it when the time comes! Best of luck! Smile
Member; RAID, UCGR, KJO, RLGS.
she/they
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Other Aliens All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: