Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3a203c6a85576094f6f4f30bf0a1e137Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Trask Fisherfolk
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Other Aliens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baris_Alrisul ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I agree with Kris on this. Since we know that there were several variations on Mon Cal within the episode, being overly specific about the mask sculpts seems unnecessary.

Alpha Base BMO
KJO Costume Captain for the Prequel Trilogy
DL of Eadu Delegation
Pride Squadron Mod

Leia (Senatorial, Ceremonial, ESB, and Marvel Jedi)
Resistance X-wing Pilot (Human/Pantoran TFA and Briefing Room)
Jedi (Human/Pantoran)
Depa Billaba
Amilyn Holdo
Jawa
Zephisto ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://zephisto.tumblr.com/post/635322777224757248

The human is wearing a welding mask. Similar to this Model

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200305009_200305009?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Welding%20%3E%20Welding%20Helmets%20%26%20Goggles%20%2B%20Glasses&utm_campaign=Hobart&utm_content=1648512&gclid=CjwKCAiA7939BRBMEiwA-hX5JwKxd42LWx7P03RyHwpg9kRopb7wz8Lum9YQviinLZzu5kl66wEiJxoCtVEQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
RebelLady (Kristina Gundersen)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zephisto wrote:
The human is wearing a welding mask. Similar to this Model

Here's a shorter direct link to the mask:
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200305009
Yavin Command Post, Duty Officer
Sunrider Base Charity Officer 2016-18
-------------------------------------------------------
Mon Mothma, OT Pilots, Willrow Hood, Resistance Officer, TLJ Leia, ANH General, Mirax Terrik, Lyra Erso
Drazan ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar guides like the Generic Jedi only for the Generic fish-person. A general guide of the prime identification of pieces with an allotment of colors/textures/accessories for approval. Then our main Cozy Fish person or Bar keep would be prime characters for specific accuracy.

Possibly generic guidelines for all three denizens of the wharf.
Pixeldust (Lucy Paulina Sears)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I feel we need to Split this out into the SPECIFIC character that Mando meets and the generic Mon Cal and Human dock fisher-people that are all over the place. (Not set in stone, but seems as though that particular Mon Cal is prevalent).

In my eyes the Quarren (which will be discussed in another thread) are not rebel material. "The Quarren had many conflicts and a tense relationship with the Mon Calamari." and they tried killing the good guys all the time so I would need more convincing of them being any kind of alliance folk.

The Mother of Jawas

Baris_Alrisul ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would argue that this entire genre of character - the fisherfolk of trask - would be regarded as "neutral" characters like Jawas and Tuskens. We have no evidence that this multi-species cultural group has inter-species conflict from the episode, so we cannot assume there are "sides" among them. Additionally, we have no knowledge of their motivations or their relation to either the Empire or the New Republic, so they would seem to fall firmly into the neutral territory.

In terms of separating out the individual seen the most - we see multiple examples of all three species throughout the episode, with none of them being named characters. We also see all of the costume elements worn by that first Mon Cal on other fisherfolk throughout the episode - the exact boots and the exact sweater in other colors are definitely worn by some of the Quarrens; the exact belt is worn by some of the Quarrens and other Mon Cal; the exact bibs are worn by some of the humans and other Mon Cal. All of this speaks towards a generic standard.

Alpha Base BMO
DL of Eadu Delegation
Pride Squadron Mod

Jedi (Human/Pantoran)
Depa Billaba
Amilyn Holdo
Jawa
Trout335464 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being overly specific about the mask sculpts seems unnecessary for characters with such a small amount of screen time. While the mask and hands still need to be of a good quality adding more detail to this than is already in place for other Mon Calamari costumes is likely to drive people away who might otherwise be able to make an outstanding Dockmaster's costume.
pandatrooper ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pandatrooper wrote:
Hi there, just wanted to chime in on the Mon Calamari masks and hands.

Frank Ippolito portrayed the fisherman / ship repair guy. He works in TV and film and collaborates with Adam Savage a lot on his Tested projects.

On his Instagram he said he created and painted the Mon Calamaris for the episode. He of course created a Mon Cal for Adam Savage for a Comic-Con Incognito for his Admiral Ackbar.

The source of the mask was a foam casting that Adam purchased at auction. They confirmed it as an older ILM casting, so its cast from the original Phil Tippett sculpt / mold.

So we can use that as a basis for that particular Mon Cal and the diner waiter Mon Cal for sure

Frank molded this head to create new castings for Adam. They did not have hands so Franks team sculpted them

Follow up: I was able to screen match Frank Ippolitos hands. He and his team sculpted them for Adam Savage for his incognito Ackbar and they used the head and hands for the show (he confirmed on Instagram).
pandatrooper ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trout335464 wrote:
Being overly specific about the mask sculpts seems unnecessary for characters with such a small amount of screen time. While the mask and hands still need to be of a good quality adding more detail to this than is already in place for other Mon Calamari costumes is likely to drive people away who might otherwise be able to make an outstanding Dockmaster's costume.

Agreed. For example, it's pretty obvious that some Mon Calamari use static eyes, and the dockworker and diner guy have full animatronitc heads. There's no need to separate those two guys.
pandatrooper ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baris_Alrisul wrote:
I would argue that this entire genre of character - the fisherfolk of trask - would be regarded as "neutral" characters like Jawas and Tuskens. We have no evidence that this multi-species cultural group has inter-species conflict from the episode, so we cannot assume there are "sides" among them. Additionally, we have no knowledge of their motivations or their relation to either the Empire or the New Republic, so they would seem to fall firmly into the neutral territory.

In terms of separating out the individual seen the most - we see multiple examples of all three species throughout the episode, with none of them being named characters. We also see all of the costume elements worn by that first Mon Cal on other fisherfolk throughout the episode - the exact boots and the exact sweater in other colors are definitely worn by some of the Quarrens; the exact belt is worn by some of the Quarrens and other Mon Cal; the exact bibs are worn by some of the humans and other Mon Cal. All of this speaks towards a generic standard.

I also agree. The Moncals and Quarren are eating at the same in the diner at the inn. There's a brief shot in the background, you can see a Quarren, a human and a Moncal sitting at the bar.

I think there are other costumes already established where people can have accessory variants. Eg: some Mon Calamari have head wraps in the diner, this could be an optional accessory.
Limotro ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in agreeance with many before me in regards to allowing the Ackbar mask and gloves for approval. For those that have the skill to create their own mask and gloves, you have my absolute respect, but most of us don't have that ability and rely on makers, like Chris Stephens (who is an absolute rock star!). I don't see how it would be worth while for makers to create these one-off characters, characters that as far as we know, don't even have names.

For me, the biggest appeal is that I thought I could use the Ackbar mask and gloves that I already have. I would think that if they used an older ILM sculpt that was used for Admiral Ackbar for the Mon Cals in the show, than anyone with Ackbar mask and gloves should be fine.
Jakub Wedge Berger ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will probably repeat a lot of what was already mentioned, but I agree that it would be an unnecessary complication.

In the episode, lot of "costume parts" we can see on the dockworker the Mando meets are also used by almost all other folks, just in mixed colors and variations. And multiple sculpts of the masks are used, which anyway differs mostly in minor details, colors or facial expressions. And since all of them, including the dockworker, are unnamed characters with just a little screentime, I agree that it´s unnecessary to be overly specific, as long as the masks and hands are of good quality
Noth Evelo (Leighton Olive)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drazan wrote:
Similar guides like the Generic Jedi only for the Generic fish-person. A general guide of the prime identification of pieces with an allotment of colors/textures/accessories for approval. Then our main Cozy Fish person or Bar keep would be prime characters for specific accuracy.

Possibly generic guidelines for all three denizens of the wharf.

I can say for myself, "Generic Trask Fisherfolk" is what sounds most appealing to me and I think many others. It would be a fun and inclusive standard that would allow for freedom to make a variety of cool costumes; to go as basic or as complicated as you want within the scope of the standard.

I'd also say that if the Deck Hand/Barkeep end up becoming their own standard separate from a Generic Standard (I'm not convinced that's totally necessary) I think their specific items and accessories (the belt, the sweater, datapad, etc.) should still be apart of the generic standard as well. It seems evident that many of these items are standard and ubiquitous for the Trask Fisherfolk. (Not saying you said that they shouldn't be included, just saying it as a point of clarification)
Pixeldust (Lucy Paulina Sears)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was by no means suggesting that there couldn't be a generic version at all, just that we COULD have a standard for the specific mon cal that he speaks to. We are doing some research on him as well. There's absolutely no reason we couldn't have a specific costume standard for him as well as a generic one for the rest of the dock workers.

Keep the research and ideas coming though! I appreciate the participation and excitement coming from this!

The Mother of Jawas

Baris_Alrisul ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that makes sense! You're right; allowing the main Mon Cal as both a specific standard and precedent for the generic standard lets people chose either option. Thanks for the clarification, Lucy. We cozy fisherfolk appreciate the support of our detachment leader.

Alpha Base BMO
DL of Eadu Delegation
Pride Squadron Mod

Jedi (Human/Pantoran)
Depa Billaba
Amilyn Holdo
Jawa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Other Aliens All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: