Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=37417d792ee149c8820cddddee28c6a6Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

TROS Rey WIP by BatsyRey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Rey
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BatsyRey ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: TROS Rey WIP by BatsyRey Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

I thought it may be helpful for some other legionaries who wanted to start their TROS Rey costume to post my WIPs and my work on this costume.
First of all, i want to deeply thank all the ladies that are in the Rey Cosplay Community because they provided so much info and also support, it's an amazing community and if you're planning to do Rey costumes in future i'd totally recommend you to be there.
A little disclaimer: I'm not a professional seamstress or anything, i just made my best by following some Rey sister's advices, my personal experience and of course the Standard mockup and references.

SHIRT
The fabric i got for the base shirt was a cotton jersey, in a creamy white shade. I followed Jen Eyre's pattern on her site: http://www.jeneyre.com/ (I highly recommend everything she does because she's amazing and very kind.)
My shirt is self lined, basically what i did was just doubling the fabric and cutting two identical pieces of everything.
As you know, Rey's shirt has some decorative stitching along the places where the different pieces of the shirt join, so i found out on my Singer Simple machine a stitch that was very close to the one screen used and just put one piece over the other for 5 mm and used that decorative stitch to attach the pieces together.

SHIRT HOOD&COLLAR
For the hood and collar i used a suedette, while the hood lining is a crepe.
The patter was provided by Daisy Van Rin (see the Facebook group), and i just traced the pattern folding the fabrics as written on the pattern.
I first sewed the darts and the back seam on both outer hood and lining, and then joined them together following the long curve, wrong side against wrong side. When you're done with that, you can just flip the hood and press very well with iron the folding.
The collar is very simple, i used the pattern included by Jen Eyre. (don't forget the decorative stitching. here i always used the stitch i had in my machine but can be done by hand).
to attach the hood, collar and shirt you have to do some sort of sandwitch: collar above, hood in the middle and then shirt.

PANTS
I used non-stretch suede because in Europe is hard to get stretch suede that has a good bright white color (has to be the brightest of all outfit).
If you do the same, i'd recommend to add a crotch, as suggested to me before from Jen Eyre and Inken. Pattern always from Jen.
What i did after cutting all the pieces, was creating those central seams she has.
After tracing the center of the leg, i took in some fabric and created a seam.
Looking at it on the wrong side, i opened up the fabric i got in by cutting, and then on the right side i topstiched along the sides of the central seam trying to have them more parallel than i could, with stitch width like <0.5.
For the kneepads, i just used the topstitching always in 0.5 or less width to attach them and to do the seams as Daisy's

TABARDS&OBI
Best you can get of course is Silk, but i found a cheaper alternative that was a sort of stretch tulle with very very fine net that made a great look. It's something they use here for ballets.
Was quite easy to make, because the tabards are a unique piece, you just need to gather the shoulders (pic of my boyfriend as mannequin) and add some snap tape to attach to the shirt.
Obi is basically just another piece of this fabric, with gathering and snap tape.

LEATHER BIDS (brown ones)
What i got was heavy italian leather, which is totally awesome but quite thick, so perfect for belt and holster but not too much for bracers. I'll probably upgrade my bracers in future to have a more thin version.
I don't have so much to say about the two bracers since i used the patterns you can find on the group and basically you just have to trace them and cut along the lines with a cutter. Then you just wrap them around.
The belt was build looking at the pictures of the movie, and again some schemes on the group that i used as a base and modified to fit me.
The metallic loops were inserted in the belt and the edges were glued with Bostik to keep it in place.
I used a real belt buckle (those are very common here in italy), made in metal that i just pinned on the belt, and wrapped around the belt some thin rope.
Holster pattern was drafted by me directly on my blaster, basically what you need to do is just to keep the slides in place with some rivets.
The strip that goes around the thigh has the metallic loops secured with a X stitch instead of glue, i made 4 holes and went in with some waxed thread.

LEATHER BRACERS (white)
These ones were quite fun to do. I used some white thin lamb leather and some linen as a base (which i wouldn't recommend, better to choose some cotton because linen makes some strange folds).
I traced a pattern (which was a trapezoid) for the bracer, following my measurements, and then cut a lot of paper stripes and put in the correct position (i marked them with numbers) in order to have the same look of the movie. Basically the first stripe you have it's an horizontal one, on the top of the bracer, and then you go over with a second stripe that is like 30 degrees inclined, then the third is always horizontal etc.
Once i figured out on paper, i cut the base trapezoid on linen (please use cotton ahah) and then all the leather stripes. i put them in the correct position and inclination and sewed them along the the lower part of the stripe. Remember that you need to leave at least 5 cm without stripes sewn on because you'll need to wrap around the last stripe that will be a lot longer.

That's all! Other stuff i got was Linen Pozu boots, and the saber, i got a Disney Parks that i modified but i just ordered the galaxy edge reforged one which is more accurate.
If you have any questions (or suggestions, why not!) you can write me here in pm, or on my instagram @chia_batsy, there i post a lot of wips.

May the force be with you!

naberrie ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good! It’s great to have it all posted out here to help people too!! I love the way your wraps drape... beautiful! Smile
Member; RAID, UCGR, KJO, RLGS.
they/them/she/hers
BatsyRey ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, exactly! I love seeing WIP posts on this forum so i wanted to give my little contibute!
Thank you! Tabards fabric was a very lucky find, best ones are made of silk but it was over budget for me ahah. Maybe in future i'll think about upgrading because those are truly amazing.
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a Rey expert, but I like what you've done with this. Smile Looks like you got the different shades of white down, too.

Nordic Base BMO | DL of Aurora Delegation | CRC | She/Her They/Them

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

BatsyRey ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much Lora!!! I'm pretty satisfied with the final result too!
I had luck with some parts and re-did something with upgraded fabric. Wink
Also I'll probably add the bag to my gear when i find the correct hardware and try to improve some pieces following the advice of my judge Kendra.
You never really finish working on some costumes Rolling Eyes Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Rey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: