Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d24a5a7f3e7161a7b9bfbf3e13b3cd93Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Question about chesht box, flare and cylinder dimesions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluelady6 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Question about chesht box, flare and cylinder dimesions Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am stuck on dimesions about few pieces. I need approved dimesions of leg flares, belt flares, code cylinders and chest box. Costume standart doesn't give exact dimesions and i couldn't find dimesions on forum( I probably missed it). I couldn't trust the 3D models found so i will model myself. I will very glad if anyone can help me , thank you Smile

Best regards
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, dimensions can vary some, based on the size and dimensions of the costumer. Like, one retailer of chest boxes makes a smaller and larger size, like with helmets, because frame of the costumer can make the boxes look odd if they are too small or too large on the chest.

That said, I can pull mine out and measure for you if you want. I'm about 1.7 meters tall and weigh about 155. I wear a "standard" size chest box and such. I'll measure mine if you think it'd help.

Leg flares and belt flares vary less. I made my belt flares out of dowel rods and cut them to the width of my belt. Same with my leg flares, actually - they were cut to the width of my leg flare holder. I forget where I found guides on how big to make them, though.
It matters which side we choose. Even if there will never be more light than darkness... For every life we touch, it matters. I don't turn toward the light because it means some day I'll win some sort of cosmic game. I turn toward it because it is the light.

Qui-Gon Jinn, Master and Apprentice, Claudia Gray
G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the leg flares were apparently cut broom handles, so in the 1 inch 25mm range. The belt flares are roughly 1/4" rod (8mm) . I used to cut down 1/4" aluminum rod stock and make flares all the time polishing them on my drill press. I would chuck them up and let them run, and sand the ends smooth with sandpaper and polishing grits.

Squadron Commander, DragonSnake Squadron

NCOIC, "GUNNY" Marine Detachment Barbarossa

Commander, Deep South Mothership, Visitor Fleet.
wabbit89 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'nott sH'urr wrote:
the leg flares were apparently cut broom handles, so in the 1 inch 25mm range. The belt flares are roughly 1/4" rod (8mm) . I used to cut down 1/4" aluminum rod stock and make flares all the time polishing them on my drill press. I would chuck them up and let them run, and sand the ends smooth with sandpaper and polishing grits.

Ah, yes, those are the diameters. I forgot about that measurement. I used 1" dowel rods for my leg flares, cut to the length that matched the height of my leg flare holder and then dremeled around the edge to make it not quite so squared off. And I used 1/4" dowel rods cut to the length that matched the height of my belt for my belt greeblies.
It matters which side we choose. Even if there will never be more light than darkness... For every life we touch, it matters. I don't turn toward the light because it means some day I'll win some sort of cosmic game. I turn toward it because it is the light.

Qui-Gon Jinn, Master and Apprentice, Claudia Gray
JEDICHRIST (DELONG.CHRISTOPHE)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can find all the details of the CRL here :
http://newsite.rebellegion.com/x-wing-pilot-episode-iv-vi-y-wing-pilot-episode-iv/
XO RLFB 2011-2014
MO RLFB 2010-2011
member of Rebel Legion Knights of the Jedi Order detachment
member of Rebel Legion Starfighter Command Detachment
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: