Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=30d04cf2cab345e8c8a3f579b041bdd0Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Blue's Arsenal (Image Heavy)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Weapons of RAID
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Blue's Arsenal (Image Heavy) Reply with quote

While I work on my Rebel Fleet Trooper costume and the Pandemic Battlefront version of the Rebel Vanguard (I'm about half way through on both) I've been working on various weapons, some of which are for the RFT and/or RV, and some are for other costumes or are just for fun. I enjoy converting toy guns, be they squirt guns, Nerf, space laser guns or pretty much anything else, and turning them into replica blasters from Star Wars (and occasionally other franchises). I have a lot of fun with it, it gives me way to be creative and use my imagination, and lets me think things out of how I might pull something off and make something look like something else. Feel free to comment if you'd like to.

Of course, these starting out as toys the finished item is never one hundred percent accurate but that's okay with me, while I want my weapons to look as accurate as possible complete accuracy isn't the end goal, I just want to enjoy the process. And after getting a 3D printer I've been able to really expand on that creative process.

I thought that I might put together a thread showing off my work and maybe someone would get a kick out of seeing what I've managed to come up with. And maybe it would give someone some ideas or inspiration to do their own conversions. So here are my projects thus far...

Works in Progress
(Asterisk * denotes current project, red denotes completed project)

• SpyGear Flip Blaster --> custom pilot holdout pistol
  • Toys 'R Us True Heroes 2-in-1 Space Blaster --> Hasbro pilot action figure blaster
  • Hasbro Rebel Trooper Blaster --> DH-17 blaster carbine (ANH)
  • Rubies Rebels Stormtrooper Blaster --> E-11 blaster rifle (Rebels style)
  • Hasbro Nerf Death Trooper Blaster --> E-11D blaster carbine
  • Hasbro Rebel Trooper Blaster --> "Hero" DH-17 blaster carbine (ANH)
  • Hasbro Rebel Trooper Blaster --> DH-17 blaster carbine (ROTJ)
  • Rubies Rebels Stormtrooper Blaster --> ARC caster
  • Hasbro Nerf First Order Stormtrooper Deluxe Blaster --> FWMB-10 repeating blaster
  • Hasbro Nerf First Order Stormtrooper Blaster --> F-11 blaster rifle (standard)*
  • Hasbro Nerf First Order Stormtrooper Blaster --> F-11 blaster rifle (Cardinal)*
  • Hasbro Nerf First Order Stormtrooper Blaster --> F-11 blaster rifle (Pyre)*
  • Hasbro Nerf Poe Dameron Blaster --> GLIE-44 blaster pistol (standard)
  • Hasbro Nerf Poe Dameron Blaster --> GLIE-44 blaster pistol (Yeager)*
  • Hasbro NERF Jyn Ero Blaster --> A280-CFE (sniper mode)
  • Hasbro Nerf Jyn Erso Blaster --> A310 rifle
  • Hasbro Nerf Jyn Erso Blaster --> A300 rifle*
  • Hasbro Nerf Death Trooper Blaster --> F-11ABA heavy blaster cannon
  • Disney Parks Rebel Blaster --> DL-44 blaster pistol
  • Nerf water cannon --> HH-15 projectile launcher
  • Nerf Dual-Strike --> Phase Three Dark Trooper assault cannon (game)*
  • Nerf Tri-Strike --> Phase Three Dark Trooper assault cannon (comic)
  • Rubies Princess Leia Blaster --> DDC Defender sporting blaster
  • Hasbro Build-Your-Own Star Wars: Clone Wars Clone Commander Blaster --> DC-15A blaster rifle
  • Hasbro Nerf Bounty Hunter Blaster --> S-195 blaster pistol
  • Rubies Boba Fett Blaster --> EE-3 carbine rifle
  • Rubies Clone Trooper Blaster --> DC-15S
  • Hasbro Nerf First Order Stormtrooper Blaster --> SE-44C blaster pistol (stormtrooper)
  • Nerf Triad EX-3 --> EC-17 hold-out blaster
  • Hasbro Electronic Stormtrooper Blaster --> E-11 blaster rifle
  • Hasbro Nerf First Order Stormtrooper Blaster --> SE-44C blaster pistol (pilot)
  • Hasbro Electronic Tatooine Blaster --> Tatooine blaster (TPM)
  • Rubies Jango Fett Blaster --> WESTAR-34 blaster pistol x2
  • Nerf pistol??? --> BR-M-79C-1 Beam Spray Gun (Gundam/GM)
  • Nerf Fortnite RL Super Soaker --> Team Fortress 2 rocket launcher
  • Light-Up Deluxe Replica Proton Pack --> proton pack (GB1)
  • Walmart Ghostbusters Ghost Trap --> ghost trap (GB1)

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-

Last edited by Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch) on Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:52 am; edited 6 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was my first ever conversion that I did way back in 2011-- October 25, 2011 to be exact. I saw a Spygear flip blaster in a store (Target, I think?) and thought that it looked pretty cool, and I wanted to dip my toes into modding, so I figured that it was a good place to start. I didn't base this on any real Star Wars weapon, I just wanted to make it look like it came from the Star Wars universe. I imagined it as a small folding blaster that a pilot might keep hidden on them, a holdout blaster of sorts, in case they get into any tight situations. Or maybe for a smuggler or a spy. I also made a custom holder for it because why not. The pen caps on the back of the holster were inspired by the Jedi food capsules.

Yeah, it's rough, but it was my first attempt and I'm still rather fond of it. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of the unmodded blaster.

My second attempt at a toy mod came a year later in 2012 when I finished this blaster on May 24th. Again this blaster isn't based on anything seen in any of the movies, not directly, but it's instead inspired by the blaster pistol included with many of the B-wing and Y-wing pilot action figures that Hasbro released between 2011 and 2013, or thereabouts. The Hasbro blaster seems to be based on the DDC Defender with some differences. I imagined it as a more robust, stronger version of the DDC Defender meant for actual combat and self-defense. I dubbed it the "DDC Striker-2" just because.
It started out as a 2-in-1 Space Blaster from the True Heroes line at Toys 'R Us (how I miss that store). It came as part of a set of two with a small blaster and a larger rifle. Each lit up and made sounds, and the small blaster could fit inside of the rifle to make it larger and longer, and when it was connect it made different sounds and the light pattern changed. It was pretty cool. I still have the rifle, I haven't figured out what I want to do with it yet. I also used some plumbing parts, a squirt gun, balsa wood and PaperClay. The lights and sounds still work.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-

Last edited by Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch) on Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:17 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2016 I finished two blaster mods, an DH-17 blaster carbine using a Hasbro "Rebel Trooper Blaster" and a DL-44 blaster pistol using a Disney Parks "Rebel Blaster". I wish I would have gotten a few more of the Disney Parks blaster (I have the stormtrooper one that switches between "kill" and "stun" settings, but I'm going to leave it as-is).
Anyway, the Rebel Trooper Blaster to DH-17 (completed October 5, 2016) was my first real attempt to mod a toy into something more movie accurate and that required more than a simple paint application. I followed the way most people who mod these do and somehow managed to get the clear cap off the scope and stick a red lightsaber blade in to make a dot sight scope (I added a small black base to the lightsaber to make it sturdier on the plastic lens in the scope), cut off the pull tab on the plunger and replaced it with O-ring, filled in the seams and so on. It wasn't an incredibly difficult build but made me use some new techniques, and it was overall and enjoyable experience. Though I've since improved the DH-17 with another model (coming in a later post) I'm still pretty fond of this one as it was my first "movie replica" that needed extra work.

Earlier in the year I modded a Disney Parks "Rebel Blaster" into a DL-44 blaster pistol, which I completed on March 26, 2016. I didn't really do much modding to this other than filling in the seams and filling in the hollow scope so that I could make it look like it had lenses in it, and drilling out the hammer. It's far from accurate but I really dig it, and the Disney Parks blaster is my favorite one to convert into a DL-44 because it looks so cool, and it has both lights and sounds.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On February 29 of 2018 I completed a conversion of the Rubies Princess Leia Blaster into a DDC Defender sporting pistol. Though technically it was more of a repaint, not really a conversion, other than filling in the seams. This was a fairly quick project and Rubies did a pretty nice job on the mold for this one.
I have another one that I'm planning to convert into Holdo's blaster.

I believe it was sometime in 2017 that I did a repaint/conversion of the Rubies Stormtrooper Blaster into a Star Wars Rebels-style E-11 blaster rifle, but I seem to have misplaced by pictures. I'll have to update that one later.

On February 2, 2019 I completed one of my first larger mods, which was converting the Hasbro NERF Jyn Erso Blaster into an A280-CFE in sniper configuration. I had some assistance thanks to a kit I bought from J0d0kast which he 3D printed a few parts to convert the blaster (his videos are on YouTube that show his kit) and I made a few greeblies of my own that his kit didn't include, such as the pipes for the two scopes (the smaller one is a mechanical pencil, the larger one is a Sharpie) and the plunger thing-- I have no idea what it's called Razz -- on the back right-hand side, which I made out of a couple different pens and cut them apart, and then attached them together to replicate the plunger. The back of the scope uses a cap from a resin can as the lens (as J0d0kast's model is hollow) and the other end of it uses a small plastic bead as the lens.
The barrel is a steel pipe that gives the rifle some nice heft, and the front right side has a metal picatinny rail that I attached to it, which the flashlight slides on to. The flashlight isn't the accurate model but the accurate one is really expensive and I didn't really want to put that much money into a toy gun that would never be 100% accurate, so I found one that had close to the overall shape and called it good enough. It's still a tactical flashlight at least, it works, it lights up really bright, and it has the strobe effect setting as well.
The lights and sound still work on the blaster but it can't fire the darts anymore. Well, I mean, technically it can fire darts, but the motor isn't powerful enough to send the darts down the extended length of the barrel so they tend to get stuck inside or just drop out of the end. This is nothing that I would take into a NERF war so I didn't bother with upgrading the motor.
This one is fun to carry around!

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one was a fun little project. On July 14, 2020 I completed a NERF Triad EX-3 into an EC-17 hold-out blaster conversion. I found a few of the parts on Thingiverse from someone else who had done a conversion of this before but they didn't include all of the parts with theirs, so I modeled up the missing parts myself and printed them all out, and got to work. I also modified a couple of his models to make them a bit more accurate. This was a fairly quick build that only took me a couple of days to finish once all of the parts were printed and smoothed. The ribbing on the back left side of the blaster are just strips of adhesive foam trim from my Phase Zero Dark Trooper costume, they were just the right size to fit on.
It doesn't have any lights or sounds but it still fires darts, and it was quick and easy so I can't complain. Razz

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To go with my Resistance X-wing pilot suit, on January 29, 2018 I finished my conversion of the Hasbro Nerf Poe Dameron Blaster to a GLIE-44 blaster pistol. There weren't a lot of changes made to it other than filling in the seams and filling in the bottom of the end of the plunger so that it wasn't hollow and empty, and I added a small cover over the thumb slot above the plunger to make it look a little more "solid", while leaving a small opening where I could still insert the tip of my thumb and pull the plunger back to fire a dart if I ever wanted to. The lights, sound and dart-firing still work after finishing it. This was my first attempt at simulating heat warping on the blaster barrel.

I really like the detailing on this blaster and I tried to highlight some of it.

And I had to make a holster for the GLIE-44, of course! The holster is made from different thicknesses of craft foam (following a pattern that was posted a few years back) along with some push pins, Chicago screws and some webbing. The patterned front is just some mesh. I lined the inside of the holster with some charcoal gray felt to protect the blaster.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one was an exciting project for me to work on and was my largest so far (largest size-wise). It's a Hasbro Build-Your-Own Star Wars: Clone Wars Clone Commander Blaster that I converted into a DC-15A blaster rifle that I finished April 10, 2020.
I've seen people paint those up a number of times before but I wanted to go a bit further with it and try to make it look even more accurate, so I modeled and printed some greeblies for it such as the little hourglass-shaped scope lens, the top-mounted folding stock (which doesn't unfold) and a few small detail greeblies. One greeblie is a cap from a medicine bottle that I cut down. Then everything is painted up and weathered.
Just for fun I wanted to make the stock look like it was made out of wood so I tried to simulate a wood grain appearance. It was an interesting experiment and I'm pleased with the results, though I have since done another simulated wood look and it looked better yet (which I'll post later).
The lights and sounds still work for the blaster, and I can still disassemble it all for storage and swap around the different parts for different configurations. Overall it's just a fun blaster, and it's nice and big!

Rifle configuration:

Carbine configuration:

Sniper rifle configuration:

Light rifle configuration:

Pistol configuration:

Miscellaneous:

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This next conversion build was one I'd had for over a year before finally starting on. It's a Hasbro Nerf Death Trooper Blaster converted into a more accurate E-11D as seen in Rogue One. This one was finished on August 5, 2020.
Parts of this kit are from J0d0Kast (the barrel extender, shoulder stock, shoulder stock attachment) and some are parts that I found online and 3D printed, and a few parts are miscellaneous things that I had laying around. The flashlight doesn't work as it's just a 3D printed replica but I did paint the inside with glow-in-the-dark paint just for fun, so it does glow... in the dark. The other red "lights" are painted with neon red paint to give the illusion that those parts are illuminated. I also went along with me usual technique of using different shades of silver, gold, copper and bronze to make it look like the blaster is made out of different types of metal on various parts.
This was a pretty satisfying build. And yes, the lights and sounds still work, and it still fires darts (J0d0Kast even thought of notching the inside of the barrel extender to allow the darts to fire without restriction, kudos to him for that).

Continuing with this pattern of Imperial weapons, and because I was working on my armor and needed a weapon for it, this next project was a conversion of a Rubies Star Wars Rebels Stormtrooper Blaster into an ARC caster, which was seen wielded by Phase Zero Dark Troopers in Pandemic's Star Wars Battlefront and Star Wars Battlefront II video games. This was the most intensive build that I had done so far and it required pretty much a complete rebuild of the blaster. The Rubies blaster worked great as a base to start off from, but it required a ton of modifications. It's pretty much a scratch build-- even the sound effect is one I made myself!
I carefully studied all of the references that I could find, made a slew of 3D models and printed them, and just because I wanted to give it that extra "cool" factor I added in some lights and sound effects. I can't complain that this ARC caster is completely accurate, some details just can't be made out in references, and other things had to be modified to be able to work in real life-- the corkscrew, for example, merely freely floats on the weapon in the game, but that's not possible in real life (unless I made it out of metal, I suppose) so I needed to add a support to it. I also used a bit of creative freedom to make my own interpretation of some pieces.
It took me nearly a year to finish this blaster, what with making the models, tearing apart the Rubies blaster and rebuilding it, figuring out the electronics, remaking parts of it that didn't work, and at one point I sliced my finger open with a box cutter while trying to separate two pieces, so this thing literally has my blood, sweat and tears in it. Heh. It was finally finished on August 28, 2019.

This was a fun project because I really got to use my imagination on it and think "if this was a real prop in a Star Wars movie, what would it look like?" Trying to turn a low-resolution game weapon into a real-life prop that looked like it came from a movie was a challenge but was fun to figure out. I'm all for any project that lets me be creative and use my imagination!

I don't have many pictures of this blaster because, instead, I have a video! Below the video are a few progress pictures of it as well.
-->VIDEO: https://youtu.be/QoC3oNDAFfs <--

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This project was one I made for a friend who wanted a Fortnite Super Soaker modded into a rocket launcher from Team Fortress 2. I don't know much about Team Fortress 2, I've never played it (despite the many, many, many video games that I've played over the years) but I know the gist of it, and I was supplied some reference images including a 360 degree colored model to inspect. I had never done a conversion for anyone else before so this was something interesting.
Though it is a bit undersized I extended it out as much as I felt comfortable with structurally, and using the references I made up a batch of 3D models and printed them. There were various other parts used-- a Nerf flip rangefinder, an oil funnel, a plastic plate, and some various other bits. I secured everything together with screws and rivets, and painted it up. Though the TF2 rocket launcher doesn't have a rifle sling attached to it, I knew that my friend does have some back problems so I put a sling on it so it would be easier for her to carry. Overall I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out, and I'm very happy with how the "wood" turned out. She wanted it to look worn and beat up, looking like the character hadn't taken good care of it, so I weathered it and added some rust effect the same way that I added rust to my Phase Zero Dark Trooper armor.
This one was finished October 20, 2020.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a project I had been wanting to do for a long while and hadn't gotten around to it, but when the same friend mentioned above asked if I could paint up a DH-17 for her I figured that it was the perfect chance to finally get this project done. I did what I'm calling the "hero" version of the DH-17 (for lack of a better name), the version seen on a couple troopers in A New Hope. She had only mentioned wanting the Hasbro Rebel Trooper Blaster repainted but a figured why not go all the way? So I made the "hero" version for her, and one for me as well!
I'm very pleased with how these turned out (despite the fact that someone pointed out that the grips shouldn't have metal "scratching" on them... Oh well) and this was a fun project, and was definitely more in-depth than my previous DH-17 conversion shown above.
I looked at various references of the accurate blaster as well some fan reproductions to get a better idea of the placement of a few parts, I found some pictures of the accurate greeblies and made some 3D models scaled down to fit the Hasbro blaster and then went to work. The dot sight is a 3 3/4" red lightsaber blade with a 3D printed base, and the yellow cord is from an old piece of computer hardware that I ripped the wires out of a couple years ago and kept them, having planned on doing this conversion since before then. The light still works and it still is able to fire foam darts, not that I expect to be firing many darts but it's a fun feature to have. For some extra detail I put a reticle into the scope of each blaster and used a little bit of red glitter paint to give them a "glow". As an added bonus, the lightsaber dot sight lights up when the trigger is pulled because I made the base hollow specifically for that. And if you shine the light at a wall it makes a sort of target symbol glow on it, which is kind of cool. Smile

The body of the scope is a satin black so there's a very light sheen to it, while the scope is a flat black to make it appear that it's plastic like the real scope. The ring behind the silver fins is also flat black just for an accent.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that's everything for now! I've got more conversions that I'm working on and I'll post them as I get them finished. Very Happy

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice work Alex i used to have a reticle file, where did you get yours?

Squadron Commander, DragonSnake Squadron

NCOIC, "GUNNY" Marine Detachment Barbarossa

Commander, Deep South Mothership, Visitor Fleet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Weapons of RAID All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: