Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=56a9ef8d223b1683d562d8a447c75d6fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Natalie's Shara Bey Build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> EU/Legends
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeiaAurora ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Natalie's Shara Bey Build Reply with quote

I've been collecting references on this costume for awhile now and think I am finally ready to get started on it.

I have sourced the green and yellow twill for the jacket, the patterns for the pants and the jacket and will be making the holster out of leather currently in my stash.

My main issue is the jacket and the inconsistency in the artwork. In some of the drawings, there is a visible back yoke with detail similar to what we see on the sleeves and in just as many drawings, there is NOT a back yoke. Here are a few examples of what I am referencing.

https://imgur.com/VNlN9RA
https://imgur.com/OA5Nmzz
https://imgur.com/ltEmaQe
https://imgur.com/Mu8nTrp

So before I make an entire jacket one way and then get told it won't fly, can I please get an answer on if a back yoke is required -or- since there are equal amounts of artwork showing both, that either will work? The way comic art is approached for approved costumes is confusing to me so a solid answer would be appreciated. Mr. Green
Costume Mentor
In progress/submitted: Padme Amidala Deleted Scene/Padme Amidala Olive gown/Cobb Vanth with armor
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that IS one seriously inconsistent jacket!
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went through all of the comics with Shara, and those are two separate costumes from different issues and parts of the story. I'll edit this post in just a few to add references.
Yavin Command Post, Duty Officer
Sunrider Base Charity Officer 2016-18
-------------------------------------------------------
Mon Mothma, OT Pilots, Willrow Hood, Resistance Officer, TLJ Leia, ANH General, Mirax Terrik, Lyra Erso
RebelLady (Kristina Gundersen)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so the Shattered Empire comic that the pictures you posted are from has Shara going off on several distinct missions. She wears her A-wing uniform for the first one (Battle of Endor and some post battle stuff on Endor). The second one she is off on a mission with Leia, and the third is later with Luke. Your best plan is to pick one.

Full ref album here: https://imgur.com/a/ZBtRW

Leia Mission:

Jacket:
The jacket is basically a green (OD green?) version of the yellow one that Evaan and Luke wear. There are contrasting (cream/pale yellow?) box pleats running up the top edge of the sleeves. The box pleats have a border of piping running vertically on either side up the sleeve. Piping is a shade of tan just a bit darker than the pleats. Stand up collar, waistband approximately 2" wide, no visible closures, center back seam, topstitching about and inch from the edge along the jacket front opening, hip length. There's possibly a version of a welted breast pocket on the left side. It is only visible in a couple of refs, so that would be optional.

Pleats and piping:

Front edge topstitching & waistband:

Shirt:
Shirt is a plain off-white/light grey tee with a round neck

Belt:
Belt is brown* with a Y- shaped drop holster and singer leg keeper strap. Buckle is the octagonal officer/RFT buckle. Holster has a keeper strap over the blaster. There are several small rectangular box shaped pouches. Pouches have a flap and snap closure

*Looking at the refs again- it color changes depending on the shot- mostly between a grey and black. Pouches and holster look brown in some panels. I'm thinking this may be an area where options should be given.

Shirt and belt (This ref shows the possible welted pocket too):

Pants:
She appears to have two pairs of pants. Both are the same green as the jacket, closely fitted, and have a front fly. One has cream/light yellow bloodstripes the same shade as her jacket boxpleats. The other does not. The bloodstripes appear once they reach Naboo and are consistent for the rest of that storyline. I would say both should be options.

Pants with bloodstripes:

Boots:
Boots look like tall jack boots- they slouch a bit at the ankle though?

Boots, no bloodstripe pants, holster:

Luke Mission:

Jacket
Jacket is the same color green as the other jacket, and again has cream/pale yellow detail along the sleeve- buuuut it's got some real differences. It's bulkier and gives the jacket a boxier feel. The detail is created in three parts- one on each sleeve and a yoke that wraps from the clavicle at the front over the shoulder to the top of the shoulder blades in the back. Each section is outlined with piping of a slightly darker shade green than the jacket. This same color trims the edges of the stand up collar and the jacket edges. The detail on the sleeves only runs to about 3/4 length and angles in and narrows at the elbow. The front of the yoke also angles into almost and L shape at the shoulder.

Shirt:
Shirt also looks like a tee, but it is a taupe with a geometric graphic in cream placed above the breastbone. The graphic is a square with two parallel horizontal lines extending from either side. The collar appears to be ribbed.

Pants:
Pants are the same green as the jacket, but the cut is quite different than either pair she wears earlier in the comic. They have more of a BDU style silhouette and blouse at the boot top. The pants do not appear to have visible pockets.

Belt:
The belt appears to be the same belt and holster rig used on the Leia mission.

Boots:
The boots are kinda funky? They are more fitted- almost like a combat boot profile in some places, but they hit mid calf and there is some odd flappy nonsense happening in front.

Gloves:
Gloves are an additional accessory for this costume. She wears what look like a half palm driving glove in like a taupe or dove grey.

Hair:
Both costumes use the same hairstyle- a low pony folded up and held in place with either a clip or wrap of same kind. The thingy holding her hair is brown and either wraps around three times or is dived into three sections.

Mon Mothma, OT Pilots, Willrow Hood, Resistance Officer, TLJ Leia, ANH General, Mirax Terrik, Lyra Erso

Last edited by RebelLady (Kristina Gundersen) on Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me, or do some of the pants look like she has either a yellow knee pad, and/or some sort of extra seam panel around the knee, on her left leg?

Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that Shara is very much like Evaan Verlaine in that both the art on her costume design and even her face is super inconsistent.

In Shattered Empire she has two slightly varying costumes that Kristina posted. Sometimes she has really wavy looking hair, specifically in Marco Checchetto's style, then in Star Wars #10 (2020) it looks nearly straight.

The artists don't really keep it consistent at all, which is frustrating when trying to do a comic costume. (I should say specifically in #10 Evaan is back and doesn't really look too much like she was drawn in the stand alone Marvel Leia.)

Really, this panel did both of my girls dirty.

I feel like both Shara (and Evaan for that matter) both have adventure outfits with the pleated jackets and then either the Solo/Skywalker riding pants. They all seem cut from the same cloth. I suppose you could really have the blood stripes and specifically list it as Shattered Empire.
RebelLady (Kristina Gundersen)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kman wrote:
Is it just me, or do some of the pants look like she has either a yellow knee pad, and/or some sort of extra seam panel around the knee, on her left leg?

I think that's lighting on the front view and "wrinkles" on the back look at the way the shadows and highlights are depicted on the sleeve.
LeiaAurora ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for clarifying! As I personally don't like the back yoke detailing, I will be going with the option without it. Build to happen this week if nothing else comes along so will be posting as it happens. Mr. Green
Costume Mentor
In progress/submitted: Padme Amidala Deleted Scene/Padme Amidala Olive gown/Cobb Vanth with armor
LeiaAurora ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a good chunk of the costume done yesterday. I modified a McCalls pattern and got to work. The main work was the pleating but with some music playing and a sunny day, it went quickly. I couldn't find piping the appropriate color and really didn't want to make my own so I snagged white piping and dyed it. Worked perfectly and I am loving the color combo.
Here are some in progress shots. I hope to finish the pants today but we'll see. Pants are not my forte.
Here is the pant pattern I plan on using.

Progress photos from the jacket build.

Costume Mentor
tenebris (empathy)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Palmer pletsch patterns are great as you can fit as you go, with their tissue fit method.

I'm looking at the references and I think that yellow strip on your arm is looking a bit wide. it looks like it tapers slightly towards the bottom and stops before the bottom of the sleeve. I think the pleats are quite wide too.

I always suggest Mocking up in cheap fabric as its easy to change things at that point, before using proper fabric.

Duty Officer Home One Command, Elstree Base UK
LeiaAurora ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further work done on the build. Pouches are made and sitting on the belt. Discovered I can repurpose a holster I already have for this and it looks like she is carrying a DL-44 based on the scope so I’ll just swap it to the new Bey.

Bought a 2” buckle at Tandy and just need to cut off the edges and should be set there.

Pants are done as well.

Boots I have from a different costume with a slouch so that’s done.
Shirt is arriving from Amazon today and I should be good.

I need to search in my stash for the fabric wrap on the hair but that and the buckle should be it and finished today.
Costume Mentor
tenebris (empathy)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to check you had seen my reply about the references.

this doesn't have a standard so needs to be judged against them.
Duty Officer Home One Command, Elstree Base UK
LeiaAurora ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up the buckle and was hoping to just use my Junior Controller belt but unfortunately the person who made it made so I cannot remove the existing buckle without damaging the whole belt -so- I plan on using some of my scrap leather to cut a new one. Won’t have time today (I don’t think) so I’ll probably finish things up tomorrow and be done.

Here are the pouches and buckle (just held in place ATM). I may give the pouches another coat of dye but again, that’s for tomorrow.

I figured out how to do the hair and it’s surprisingly simple. Will post when I have it done up with the hair wrap. I’m just happy to get this material out of my stash as I need room. Mr. Green
Costume Mentor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> EU/Legends All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: