Forum and Costume Controls
REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first
|kwinchell (Katherine Winchell)
Joined: 09 Oct 2012
Location: Southern California
Medals: 2 (View more...)
|Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:36 pm Post subject: Rebel Reads October 16th, 2021
|Main post with all translations can be found here:
Here are some more details for Rebel Reads 2021!
Rebel Reads is a webathon celebrating all of the Star Wars books and comics, of both Legends and Disney era alike. It is done in conjunction with the larger Star Wars Reads initiative put on by Lucasfilm in the month of October. The event consists mainly of interviews with Star Wars authors, artists, and other related guests with video content from our members interspersed between the interviews.
The event will take place on Saturday, October 16th for the Americas/Europe (Sunday, October 17th for Asia and Pacific Islands) and will run for approximately twelve hours. Here are the event's times in a few of the main time zones around the world:
• Saturday, October 16th 9 AM - 9 PM Pacific US Time
• Saturday, October 16th, Noon - Midnight Eastern US Time
• Saturday, October 16th 1 PM - Sunday, October 17th 1 AM Argentina/Brazil Time
• Saturday, October 16th 6 PM - Sunday, October 17th 6 AM Central European Standard Time
• Sunday, October 17th Midnight to Noon Philippines/Perth/Taiwan/Hong Kong Time
• Sunday, October 17th 2 AM - 2 PM Guam/Sydney/Melbourne Time
We tried our best to give all parts of the world where we have Bases and Outposts some hours where they would be reasonably awake, and will be showing member content at times that align with the regions they are submitted from.
As with past Rebel Legion webathons, the plan is to have subtitles on as much video content as we can to aid our members who are hard of hearing and/or English language learners. We also plan to have a Spanish language section again. Please email us at RebelReadsRL@gmail.com if you are interested in helping with our subtitling efforts.
The plan currently is to stream to both The Rebel Legion's Facebook and YouTube accounts. The popular streaming site, Twitch might also be added.
Bases, Outposts, Detachments, and individual members can help us boost viewership by sharing the video stream to your own accounts once we go live!
This time we will be fundraising for Save the Children, https://www.savethechildren.org/us/what-we-do/education/global-education which assists nearly 8 million children globally each year in receiving an education. We listened to past concerns, and are using a platform this time that can take payments from more than just credit cards!
We’ll also be challenging each Base and Outpost to a sewing initiative for SewPowerful, https://www.sewpowerful.org/ which provides reusable menstrual products to schoolchildren in Zambia so that they can remain in class the entire month. More details on our particular initiative will be coming in a separate post.
Details on merch runs supporting our fundraising efforts are forthcoming as well.
Get Involved - Video Submissions
We are again asking membership to provide us with video content! This year we would like to shift to more dynamic and engaging content. All videos are due to RebelReadsRL@gmail.com via GoogleDrive, WeTransfer, etc. on Friday, October 1st.
Please remember that any music or other audio and visuals you use must be royalty free! Yes, even Star Wars music is a no-go. There are bots that check video streaming for copyrighted material and can shut us down mid-event if they find it.
Videos do not have to be in English, but if they are not, we would appreciate some help with a translation for creating subtitles.
The suggested types of member participation videos are open to the other major Star Wars costume clubs as well. These clubs are: Saber Guild, Mandalorian Mercs, Dark Empire, Droid Builders, and the 501st Legion. Saber Guild members are especially encouraged to submit performance videos featuring book/comic characters.
Here are some content ideas:
• Dramatizations in-costume of book scenes or picture books. We will no longer be using simple reading a book in costume videos.
• Book trailers (short videos that tease at or otherwise draw a potential reader into picking up the book, much like a movie trailer does for a movie. You can find more information and some examples here: https://www.tckpublishing.com/10-great-book-trailers-and-why-theyre-effective/ (some of the book trailers at the link contain strong language and other content that may not be appropriate for all ages)
• Short (less than 5 minutes) in-costume demos from Star Wars Do-It-Yourself books (science, cooking, crafts etc.)
• Quick demos or show offs of your own art and craft projects involving Star Wars book/comic characters (i.e. inspired fashion, modification or creation of action figures/dolls/etc., crafts for damaged comics, etc.).
• In-costume 30 second book reviews or "why I love this book/comic character"
• Detachment-led compilation showing off book/comic character costumes. (If your Detachment doesn’t have book/comic costumes, you can still do any other type of video as a Detachment!)
• Short tutorials for book/comic character costumes
• Short “pass-the-book” or “pass-the-library-card” compilations (less than a minute for Bases/Outposts, a bit longer is fine for Detachments)
• Short (less than 20 seconds) “Thank you for donating” videos for our fundraiser for Save The Children. Check out their website to find something they do that is important to you and speak about it.
• Anything else that fits the theme of literacy and education.
If you would like to discuss a submission idea with us please send the team an email at RebelReadsRL@gmail.com .
Get Involved - Other
• We will be having a panel of our members who work on NASA (or other non-US national equivalent) missions! If you have questions about the space science of something in Star Wars, you can submit them to RebelReadsRL@gmail.com with the subject line “Attention NASA Panelists” Questions are due by September 6th.
If you are a member who also works in the field of space sciences and want to join in on the panel, please email us at the same address as soon as possible.
• We are planning a Star Wars book and comic trivia contest! If you are interested in being a contestant, please fill out this questionnaire by September 1st. We’ll use these responses to select a handful of members for the contest! https://forms.gle/ju3vqM4LqTdAxRtp8
We are seeking additional volunteers for the following areas. Please email us at RebelReadsRL@gmail.com if you are interested in helping us with:
• Video editing
• Video captioning (subtitles)
• Translation and/or interviewing in another language (particularly Japanese and Spanish!)
• Interviewing Guests - we’re looking for members who are both extremely passionate about Star Wars books/comics and have some form of interview or public speaking experience. Please provide a list of book/comic related guests you’d be interested in, and some sample questions for each of them.
LAC Member 2020-2021
Sunrider Base Southern Regional Captain 2019-2020
Pride Squadron Founder | she/her/hers
Jedi LCJ | RLSC DXO 2018-2019
Alpha Base BMO 2014-2016 | Alpha Base CO 2017
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can post calendar events in this forum