Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=864e1eb06ad5749cb4109392950749b4Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

ERC - WIP: A Buildthread
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Return of the Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kievan Mereel (Sam Coulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job on sewing the vest! I'd love to see more on the process you took making it and the changes to the pattern you made. Overall it seems to have the right fit and proportions on you, from what we can see that isn't covered up by pouches. Be sure that you wear the vest over your pouches -- the belt rides on the pants and the vest goes over it.

I think your vest has sufficient color contrast with your shirt, though when you get to the weathering stage, you may want to treat it according to screenshots like the one above. It looks like they weathered all seams on the vest to give it additional contrast with the shirt and to allow the details to be more visible.

Your new gloves look a bit redder/browner than the gloves I see in screenshots. Truly, the trooper gloves are heavily weathered, but it seems that they started as a lighter color before getting dirty, whereas it seems that your gloves started as a darker color. However, they don't seem much more off than the yellow was, just on the other side of the spectrum perhaps. Don't know if it might be the lighting in the room or the camera that may be affecting how they look either. Would it be possible to lighten them somewhat? They are absolutely the correct shape though.

I think that your gaiters have more of the bell shape to them now as well, which looks more like screenshots.

Great progress!
ID10T (Jim)

Instagram: watch_this.hold_my_beer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding coloring of the blaster:

Since it’s painted flat black now, you may consider rubbing graphite powder into the paint and then sealing it down with either flat or gloss clear. This will give a metallic look to it.

Then dry brush silver on the high spots that would get rubbed and are supposed to be metal. Clear those areas when done too.

That should give a realistic appearance to the blaster.

Otherwise this looks like it’s coming along nicely!
afaster.master.blaster ()

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the tips and encouragement. They really do mean a lot and I am excited about getting to the home stretch. But I have some comments I wanted to address and ask questions to the galaxy:

Soft helmet: I'd prefer to have this item be finished. 20 Eyes Designs/ Mountain Princess is an obvious choice but I am reluctant to make a significant purchase if I don't get some degree of approval beforehand. No one wants to purchase something and have it not make approval without modification. Golden Armor had a soft helmet kit but I don't see it now; an option but I'd rather this be finished especially if the price for a kit was the same as a finished good. And certainly finding a real AN-H-15 soft helmet off ebay is considerable option since they are available and what was screen used. Other options I might have missed welcomed.

Donut: The Star Breather donut is my first choice because from the comments in the forum regarding Droid Welder's availability of late to produce them is in question (I have not contacted either). Recently the offering on the Endor Rebel Commando Costume Armory Facebook Page has me intrigued. I hesitate because it is so new I don't necessarily want to be the one to test its approvability, especially as a new builder and no experience with making donuts fit
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4940272?fbclid=IwAR1Rc0FhNxou_7_0fSmrMMPW_4107EolrW2vTDd8DvRwxPvZdDBm_NRBzSI

Gloves: Yes, the gloves darkened, but I am not sure how to lighten them. I will leave them in the sun but who knows if they will actually lighten up. Buying lighter colored gloves may be the only remaining option if that fails. Suggestions welcomed.

IDF Pouch: I gave it another coat of Basil, and planning to use a light coat of Moss Green (if my package ever arrives!)

Vest: I plan to review my stash of leather dyes for an acceptable brown and dilute it and apply with brush or sponge. Other options or methods and suggestions welcomed.

Gaiters: I just laced them loosely with a small knot and stretched it a couple times to equalize the lace spacing.

Blaster finish: How much graphite powder is enough for a blaster?

Thank you all again.
Kievan Mereel (Sam Coulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the helmet armor and soft cap, the most recent feedback given by the judges usually revolves around the visor, the leather pieces, and the snaps.

Visor:
Very often the visor looks smashed under the helmet armor. The screen-used props had the visor molded as a part of the hard armor, and it was perfectly in line with the top and bottom edges of the armor ring. Costumers have attached the visor either to the armor, or sometimes to the soft cap. Either is acceptable, but you'll want to watch that the visor isn't pointing down at a different angle than the armor ring.

Snaps and leather reinforcement:
The original AN-H-15 flight cap that the Endor Troopers use have multiple male snap halves on each cheek that an oxygen mask was affixed to. The cloth cap was reinforced with an arc of leather that surrounds the forward edge of the hard headset ears, and the snaps were mounted onto the leather strip. Every trooper has 4 male snaps on each cheek, though Luke has 3 visible, and the museum piece shown here has 6. 4 is preferred in reproductions as it is the most common in screenshots. Sometimes we see applications where one cheek has the male half, and the other cheek has the female half. All need to be male, and 3-4 on each side.

Chin closure leather flaps:
Part of George Lucas' artistic direction to the costume department was that he wanted common items like buttons to not be present in costumes, to help the audience suspend disbelief. It appears that the costume department did that in the Endor soft cap by stitching on a piece of leather to each cheek under the snap reinforcement leather to cover the chin strap mount points and the closure hardware (snap on right and adjustment buckle on left).

Sometimes in applications, this flap of leather on the tips of the cheeks will be sewn over the snap reinforcement leather, and even the snaps sometimes. Sometimes the chin strap is mounted onto this leather piece (like the snaps are), when the strap should be mounted on to the cloth cap, and the flap of leather sewn *over* the chin strap to hide it. The flap is sewn only at the top, and is open at the bottom so as to access the closure hardware.

The judges aren't in the business of promoting or avoiding specific vendors, but be aware of these items that are present in imagery of the screen-used costume items that often are provided to applicants as feedback.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Return of the Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: