Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=720094885906afc24fdff48089f5eb12Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Blue Squad X-Wing (& eventual upgrade to Laren Joma U-Wi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Rogue One U-Wing / X-Wing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jabari ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2021 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:23 am    Post subject: Blue Squad X-Wing (& eventual upgrade to Laren Joma U-Wi Reply with quote

I'm working on a generic Blue Squadron X-Wing pilot, with the idea that I'll eventually upgrade it to Laren Joma, U-Wing pilot.

I finally managed to find fabric, so I'll be making my own flight suit from scratch. I'm using "Casa Matte Satin Blue Coral" from Joann's, with Ivory Casa satin for the arm stripes. I also managed to find some matching lining, we'll see if it's enough.

For the ejection harness, I found the gray ruffled elastic online a few years ago. It's 3" instead of 2", so I'll be sewing it onto gray webbing (the OT style ejection harness which was the only thing I finished from my OT pilot :p ) Somewhere I should have all the parts/fabric/tubing to make the flak vest, I should only need new buckles.

I'll be making the gloves. Nobody sells them small enough for my hands.

Haven't decided yet if I'm buying the belt and flares, or dyeing a British PLCE belt/finding air hose fittings.

The helmet kit, chest box, glove comm, and arm comm pad are all on their way from Darth Hair, so those are all sorted.
I have boots already.

Later upgrades for Laren Joma/U-Wing:
- Laren Joma's U-Wing helmet
- U-Wing chest box
- U-Wing flak vest
- U-Wing ejection harness
- flat sand color roll pin belt
Blue Hatter (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with the build!

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Jabari ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I have the commpad, chest box, and helmet from Darth Hair. I will say, the helmet kit is possibly the easiest thing I've ever put together. I just need to get a different color of paint, because my orange turned out too red. Smile
Jabari ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updates:

Finished painting the helmet, just waiting on some more decals before I weather it.

Found a much better nylon fabric for the flight suit Very Happy Unfortunately it was from a large fabric warehouse and didn't have any brand information to share, but it's a really good match to my reference photos.
Blue Hatter (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The material isn't easy to find so good job on that!

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Jabari ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updates:

I finally got most of the patterning done. I'm using Simplicity 8722, with the following modifications:
- add seam at waist
- convert back to a single piece instead of 2
- extend front yoke to reach the shoulder
- split remaining portion of front into a center piece 4" wide and a side front piece
- split pants front into a center front and side front pieces, to line up with the torso seam
- split sleeve to insert 3" wide pleated piece
- new collar
- new pockets (2 chest, 2 hip, left thigh with zipper, right cargo thigh, 2 shins with zippers, sleeve commpad)
- zipper placket
- add zippers to front leg seam

****EDIT*****
... I just double-checked the references from Samuel Victor and....some of those panels are just topstitching. Well then. Now I have to re-trace that front piece and maybe just redo everything. Razz Maybe. I do kind of like the separate piece version?

I also tweaked the fit in the waist so it should fit me better, just need to finish the mockup to test out.

I think my fabric is heavy enough that it should be fine to just do a regular lining with broadcloth, but I may interline the sleeves to make them look puffier.

I should get the flight suit done this week, so I'll post pictures once that's ready. Then I can work on the flak vest, gloves, and ejection harness.

Finished except for weathering:
- chest box
- glove comm
- arm commpad
- belt and flares
- leg flares (sewing the holster tonight)
- boots

Helmet is still just waiting on decals.
StardustScavenger ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

t sounds like you're making great progress! I look forward to seeing some photos. If yoibhappen to be taking photos along the way, I'm sure others would be interested if they are making their own.

Let us know if you run into questions. Good luck!

~Christine

Send Photos: carly.rebels@gmail.com (Include Squadron/Base/Outpost, Event, Date)
Starfighter Command Instagram
Starfighter Command Public Facebook
Starfighter Command Members Facebook
Jabari ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StardustScavenger wrote:
t sounds like you're making great progress! I look forward to seeing some photos. If yoibhappen to be taking photos along the way, I'm sure others would be interested if they are making their own.

Let us know if you run into questions. Good luck!

~Christine

I am taking pictures, imgur is just a pain and I need to find a cable to get pictures off my camera, as it's too old to be compatible with my new computer, so I'll probably do a big photo dump all at once. Smile
Jabari ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: is it ok if I put in a bust dart? It should be mostly covered by the pockets/flak vest. I'm fairly busty, and every other method I've tried to make the flight suit fit isn't working.

Basically, every pattern change I put in my last post didn't work....so I finally just did a full bust adjustment and replaced the pants with a sized up version of the pants I used for Jyn. I may also have to add a small dart in the waistband at the back- for the Jyn pants I was able to hide it in the seams but I'm not sure yet how it will work in jumpsuit form.

Just want to make sure this is approvable, as I can't get any more of the final fabric.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Rogue One U-Wing / X-Wing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: