Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=0b81b6f81b5de788816c110b088fcfceMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ahsoka season 7 WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Ahsoka
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AshokaLA12 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:56 pm    Post subject: Ahsoka season 7 WIP Reply with quote

I just started an Ahsoka season 7 build. I had a few questions. Are commissioned lightsabers accepted? If not, what do people recommend as lightsaber building materials?
I have some dark blue suede for the tunic and a darker shade for the leggings.
I have started blocking out the lekku in batting. I plan to cover them in liquid latex with a modgepodge finish for the skin texture. I appreciate any feedback/ideas for improvement.
AshokaLA12 ()

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New to the forums and having hard time figuring out how to post pictures. Following url is to headress WIP pictures.
https://imgur.com/gallery/O4NmhyY
JazzyCC (Jasmina)

Instagram: @jazzy_costumecosplay

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi AshokaLA12

To add image in the forum with Imgur you just need to...

Click on your image that you want to share in your imgur gallery

Them, a window preview will show. On the screen right you will have some links, just chose the BBcode one

Copier the link form imgur and pasted it in the text area for the forum

And if you want to see your picture before submit, just click on the preview bottum

I really hope it help and can't wait to see more progress Very Happy
AshokaLA12 ()

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Yoda says "Pass on what you have learned." So here I go.

My first attempt at an Ahsoka headdress: Made entirely with thick quilting batting. then covered with liquid laytex. and painted white.
Successes: Great movement. Light. laytex laid smoothly.
Failures: difficulty getting it to cover ears completely, laying large pieces of laytex was difficult as it stuck to itself and created large uneven seams. used Krylon spraypaint that stiffened lekku and cracked with movement once dried. wrinkled horribly where lekku bent to flow over the shoulder after it was painted.

So for my second attempt I changed some things.

I made the top out of EVA foam. It holds its shape nicely and covers ears easily. I made the lekkus out of the thick quilting batting (put 1/2 oz fishing lure weights in each lekku to give them weight and movement). Much better proportions on the lekku and sewed a tuck into the batting to help the flow over the shoulder.

I mixed white paint with the liquid laytex and am painting smaller pieces so they will be easier to lay and avoid uneven seams.

by painting the laytex out on glass it gives a smooth finish and peals off the glass super easy.

Next is to determine the best method to cover the black EVA foam. The next pic shows the two methods I am trying.
Piece to viewer's left is covered by two layers of white laytex. Piece to viewer's right is spraypainted white (bottom portion) and hand painted white (top portion) and then covered with one layer of white laytex.

I appreciate any feedback anyone has to offer and hope some of this might help someone else with making their project.
AshokaLA12 ()

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huge Thank You to JazzyCC for the instructions on how to post pics. Super helpful!! Very Happy
AshokaLA12 ()

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have finished covering my headdress in white liquid latex.
Then I used a eyeliner pencil to sketch out where the blue would go. I found the pencil worked great, but I was not able to find anything that would easily erase the line when I made a mistake.
Then I mixed my blue acrylic paint with liquid latex and used a paint brush to paint on the blue. (The pictures show a single coat).

I discovered that the latex started to dry out on my brush as I painted so it became harder to make clean straight lines with my brush the longer I spent time painting. I plan to change brushes often when I do my touchups. I had to throw out the brush I used as the latex completely gummed up the brush by the time I was done painting my first coat of blue.

As always, I appreciate any feedback that will help improve my build.

I plan to use a very light grey over the white to add some tone variation. And help hide some seams. And then add some while over the top of the grey to bring in some highlight. I also plan to add one more coat of blue to help eliminate brush lines and even out the color.
AshokaLA12 ()

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/img]
AshokaLA12 ()

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished the headdress!!! :-)

Now on to the other parts of the costume![/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Ahsoka All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: