Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c9cb0887216ce4d09f5a0027e8521c45Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Benae Quee Bespin Cloud City

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benae Quee (Kristin Sirota)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:32 am    Post subject: Benae Quee Bespin Cloud City Reply with quote

I wanted to share some of the progress photos I managed to remember to take of my build. I started this Sunday the 15th in draping the cloak. I had already completed the yoke piece and then set it aside a few weeks earlier. From Sunday to Tuesday I kept adjusting the draping and then sewed it all by hand to the yoke. That was definitely a challenge, and a lot of hand sewing.
The pants and the tunic were my own patterns just done with flat drafting. The pants went together quickly, and the tunic followed suit. The entire tunic is self lined in a similar manner to the ANH Leia Senatorial Dress.
I used a vintage trimming for the cloak and lining, the yoke, and the tunic. I had exactly 10" left when I was done lol. There are no raw edges inside or out, everything is beautifully finished and I'm so proud of how it looks when people want to paw at it and inspect it. I also had a little fun with the snaps on the back of my belt, since you can't see them anyway Cool

Draping the cloak before hemming the lining...

Transferred the cloak to the yoke by carefully pinning in place from the front and then on the inside so that it could be hand stitched in place.

When I was happy with how the cloak draped, I carefully hand basted a line of stitches that would be a cut line at the top. I then cut the excess and added a bias tape trim to enclose the raw edges and give that top edge extra support to hold the weight of the cloak. The front pleats were stitched in place to help them hang correctly.

The lining hem was then trimmed to the correct length after hanging for a day, and the copper trimming was added to the bottom edge.

The arm curve was cut where it was proportional to my body and also carefully trimmed in the cordedge.

The pants were basically joggers, they went together in about 30 minutes. I realized AFTER I made them, that I forgot the pockets I had cut for them LOL

For the Tunic, I created my own pattern with flat drafting. It's basically shaped like a straight down tee shirt that fits slightly loose, but with a boat neck opening. It is self lined, so I cut two sets. The shoulders of the lining and main were stitched (giving you two pieces). Then the cordedge was basted to the main neckhole, and then the lining was laid on top and stitched into place. They were flipped right side out and the neckhole was pressed. I then under stitched the lining to the seam allowance to help the neck lay flat and not roll.

The tunic is self lined by sewing the trim to the outer sleeve hem, sewing the sleeves onto the tunic outer and lining (so 4 sleeves total, two with trim, two without), sewing the outer hem to the lining hem, and then sewing from the outer side split up to the underarm, down the outer arm, up the lining arm, and down the lining side until you hit where the split should be. This will close up the side and the arms and leave you with a self lined tunic, where all the raw edges are hidden between the layers.

I didn't take a picture, but the outer tunic hem is edged in the copper trimming before sewing the outer and lining slits together on the front and the back. I did not edge the slits, as I ran out of trim, and I just wasn't seeing it clearly in any reference or display photos I could see. I even watched the movie and could not clearly make out if they were there or not. The lining hangs free from the outer for a free flowing look that does not pucker or bunch up. I made it 1/4" shorter than the outer so it would not peek out from behind. I also ran out of trim to do the lining hem as it appears in the original.

Finally, the belt. I stared at the movie stills for the best idea of size and shape on Carrie and then scaled this to fit me and my unique shape. Help from a friend also confirmed the shaping. I'm short in the torso, so my belt is only 2.5" wide. 3" was sitting on my rib cage and bending and creasing. The bottom of the point on hers appears shallower than the top by just a smidge, so I made mine .5" shallower. This worked great as it wasn't bending upwards when I sat down, and wasn't digging into my belly. I used Pellon Fuse-N-Shape heavy two sided fusible interfacing. I sandwiched my belt core (cut to my mock-up size) with the tunic and pants fabric. I then pressed it in my steam press. I cut the back side flush with the interfacing, and the front fabric was cut .5" away. I then double folded the front fabric to the back and hand stitched it in place. An HTV Rose Gold rebel symbol tells me instantly which end of the point goes up. Because I'm a little bit extra, and you cannot see the back of the belt, I hand painted little rebel snaps for the closure LOL

I was so happy with how everything fit and looked <3 If it wasn't for the pre-printed fabric, I would never get to do this costume. My hands cannot physically take all that embroidery. I was excited to debut it at Awesome Con! All I need are shoes. I ran out time and money, and then sprained my foot the weekend prior, so comfy shoes with memory foam insoles it was instead.

I forgot to take a hair photo, but that's pretty basic.
Assistant Legion Membership Officer
Assistant Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That turned out amazing, inside and out!

In planning and progress:
Summer Dreams Padmé, Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden, Saché, TOR Jedi

ALMO | Guam Regional Captain | RLGS Web Team | She/Her
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice finishing! Amadalia Well done.

Nordic Base BMO | DL of Aurora Delegation | CRC | She/Her They/Them

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

naberrie ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Beautiful job Smile
Member; RAID, UCGR, KJO, RLGS.
they/them/she/her
LeiaAurora ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just beautiful work! Love the detail shots you posted. Draping the fabric has paused this build for me but seeing how you did it helps so much!
Costume Mentor
In progress/submitted: Padme Amidala Deleted Scene/Padme Amidala Olive gown/ Padme Amidala Battle handmaiden
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GORGEOUS! Great job!
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)

Instagram: @artbyariannae
Rebelthon2021 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your costume is really stunning, great work1

Hi, I'm Ari! My works: https://www.behance.net/artbyariannae
UCGR:Rey Scavenger, Allegiance
KJO:Rey (All)
RLGS:Padme Meadow

Junior senator program
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: