Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=4e29a4d76308a871e7defc703b1067c8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Sair's Wookiee build
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Wookiee Workshop ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its approximately 7 inches. Some are longer some are shorter. A tool called a razor comb was used on the suit to thin it. NOT thinning shears. It gives a more staggered hair cut. The longest hair on the face is about 8 inches. Again the beard length was achieved via a bib. Its not crazy long chin hair like people have done. myself included. Thus the reason I am redoing my head again. LOL
Sair (Sarah Steele)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebelthon2021 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise guys.

Hmmmm, Guinness Smile It's be a few years since I could drink a beer (stupid pancreas not liking wheat, mumble/grumble) but I love your inspiration.

I'd had a thought of modeling some of the facial hair pattern on my gorgeous puppy Olive's awesome hair. She's a super cute cocker spaniel with a very wookiee like forehead. Although her hair colour is very light, she has a great caramel and cream blend through her hair with darker highlights around her eyes and down into her muzzle.

I'd totally love capturing a bit of her in my build, even if just some of the pattern and not colour. Smile

Anywho, here's a cute pic of her to give you an idea.

Sair

Sair (Sarah Steele)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. 5 years between posts.... that's more than I thought!

Pro tip, don't start making costumes for other members, become BXO, become BCO or join the Legion Council. You'll have ZERO time for your own projects! Wink

Finally finished sewing my under suit. I LOATHED this aquatic netting. It may be super strong but it was not fun to work with.

I had to adjust nearly every seam because the diamond weave on the netting created a one way concertina effect. So once on, it stretch SOOOOO much. The sleeves nearly doubled in length. It was hilarious. But it's sorted now.

I need to pull my stilts out from under the house and put them o to figure out the total height I'm comfortable with and then I'll probably have to shorten the legs too, but that won't take long at all.

I'll start working on the torso first.

But first, I'll spend some time looking at Wookiee pictures again and sketch up my fur pattern. I have three colours of kanekalon hair, dark brown #4, medium brown #12, blonde #220.

Happy to be working on projects again. Dance Chewie

tk42116 (Aaron Darling)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working on my wookiee on and off for 5 years, I understand the long breaks. Glad to see you're back working on the wookiee!
Sair (Sarah Steele)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My progress over the last week.

Started playing around with colour placement and blending.

Had a quick try on to see if the top was sitting at the right height. 7foot 3 at this height on the stilts. Couldn't quite fit in the bathroom!

Started using some pins in the mannequin to help create some shapes on the torso.

And on the back.

Now working on the chest.

Sair (Sarah Steele)
Legion Council
Legion Council

Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two weeks since my last update.

"Kevin from Kashyyyk"'s torso is finished. Yah! I might do some more blending and trimming later but happy with how he looks in person.

Here's an example of how I blended some of the colours together and then trimmed it more to get the pattern I wanted. Used both traditional hairdressing "feathering" technique and also very lightly used some thinning scissors.

Left side has been trimmed, right side not.

NOTE: If you do use thinning scissors to soften the edges of your "fur" you can't cut it horizontally. That will result again in more sharp straight edges which is what you are trying to avoid. You need to use your scissors on an angle.

Go lightly as the more you take off with thinning scissors, the more the shorter hair stands out and makes the area look fuller.

Kevin in all his furry glory.

I know the torso looks quite skinny on that mannequin, but that because the mannequin is quite slender.

I've made the torso longer than what most people do, but if you look at decent full body refence images of Wookiees their torsos and legs are usually about the same length. I won't need to latch up up around my hips/waist because of this, but there is still going to be a lot of leg! This guy is going to be around 7"6 minimum!. With the over emphasised shoulders and chest he is going to be a unit!

In case anyone was wondering I used Kanekalon hair and went though 38 packets on this torso.

4 white blonde #220
4 bloned #24
11 mid brown #12
19 dark brown #4.

I need to make some changes to the leg suit (I don't like how it's sitting over my stilts) and order some more hair in two colours (the lightest and darkest) so I probably won't start that for at least a month.

Cheers, Sair

Scouser (Devlin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the colors!

I should try thinning my suits at some point even though I have had them for years and used to wearing way too much hair lol. I never seemed to grasp every other row went both vertical and horizontal and diagonal. I got lots of hair, especially my first wookiee.
Chewbacca (Solo Version)
Dewkazza - Wookiee Elder (Generic)
Horr'orr - ANH Tusken/Bantha Rider (501st (DZ-91919) & Rebel Legion)
Grand Moff Tarkin (ID-91919)
Tie Pilot Reserve (TI-91919)
Bridge Crew: Engineer (IC-91919)
Imperial Gunner (ver.4) (IG-91919)
Scouser (Devlin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the colors!

I should try thinning my suits at some point even though I have had them for years and used to wearing way too much hair lol. I never seemed to grasp every other row went both vertical and horizontal and diagonal. I got lots of hair, especially my first wookiee.
Chewbacca (Solo Version)
Dewkazza - Wookiee Elder (Generic)
Horr'orr - ANH Tusken/Bantha Rider (501st (DZ-91919) & Rebel Legion)
Grand Moff Tarkin (ID-91919)
Tie Pilot Reserve (TI-91919)
Bridge Crew: Engineer (IC-91919)
Imperial Gunner (ver.4) (IG-91919)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: