Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=85927ad5eeff16e75a34911b0b970622Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Can Red Guards be RL acceptable
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Senate Guards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UniversalDestiny (Jane Willer)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I costume as an AOTC guard with the 501st and while technically they were part of the Old Republic pre-ROTS, I do not feel that there is enough evidence to support that it should be a RL costume. I think most people associate guards with the bad guys and though I'm working on a few RL costumes myself for membership in the RL, I feel that guards should be left in the Bad Guy category.
"Girls can be Luke Skywalker, too!"
TR-7483
Carolina Garrison
Granny-Wan (Marie Cannon)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO. They are bad guys. Get as technical as you want, but fans know them as the Emperor's guards. Emperor = evil.
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granny-Wan wrote:
NO. They are bad guys. Get as technical as you want, but fans know them as the Emperor's guards. Emperor = evil.

I second that opinion.
Imagine a different example:
So you have Darth Vader; clearly a bad guy; but at the very end of Episode 6, he turns into a good guy by saving Luke and killing the Emperor.
Would you say that because of this scene, Darth Vader (maybe without the helmet but instead with an old, scarred head) should be approved as a good guy?
Probably not ;-)
MothMonty (Greg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but we can "if and but" most characters. I hoped that this would stay focused on the Guard. But take Chancellor Palpatine/Emperor. We know from the beginning that he is the Darth Sidious the most evil character in the SW universe, he orchestrated the massacre of the entire jedi order, helped instigate and prolong a galactic civil but as long as he is in his senatorial robes he's a good guy. So using other characters as examples doesn't really help the argument in either direction since there is always a counter point
Princess Sandy ()
Legion Council
Legion Council

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on both sides of the coin about this argument, and the final decision will be made by the LMO.
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd heard the argument that the Senate Guards work for the Senate not the Chancellor, the Royal Guards worked only for Palpatine. So, to keep things simple the decision was made Blue=Rebel Legion and Red =501st. But, like was stated, it's up to the LMO.
Crimson (Rome O.)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MothMonty wrote:
Yes but we can "if and but" most characters. I hoped that this would stay focused on the Guard. But take Chancellor Palpatine/Emperor. We know from the beginning that he is the Darth Sidious the most evil character in the SW universe, he orchestrated the massacre of the entire jedi order, helped instigate and prolong a galactic civil but as long as he is in his senatorial robes he's a good guy. So using other characters as examples doesn't really help the argument in either direction since there is always a counter point

Can of worms. U haz opend it. Smile
Morgana ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you could look at this discussion in 2 ways.

1. They could be Rebel Legion approvable because of scenes from the movie. So in theory a person should be able to get in approved with the appropriate references.

2. When you are at an event, what is the general public going to think. Most of the general public at Charity events and such will think you are a bad guy in that outfit. They will assume that you are with Vader and the storm troopers not with the Jedi and other Rebels at the event.

I'm not the person who can what can and can not be accepted in this group. I just think that even if it is approved you will run into this type of "type casting" so to speak by the kids and adults (I refer to them as big kids) attending a troop that you are at.

Something to keep in mind.
Queen Amidala (Mary Alice Ladd)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2015 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is all up to the LMO, but check out http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11697 a topic from 2008:
Posted: 30- Mar 2008 : Queen Amidala wrote:
The EPI Blue Senate Guard is a "good guy" costume, not a "bad guy" costume, so it's not a 501st costume. The Red Senate Guards are the "bad guys".

Nordic Base CO
Nordic Base CO

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if there is clear evidence they worked for the senate, they should be approve able by the RL, IMO. I think (I know, I know, keep it on topic) I think Palpatine is a far worse example. I mean. No one believes he was ever good in those films. No one.

Besides, I like the idea of dual costumes. In reality, I'd love for us to be one big club instead of two, and dual costumes work towards that Smile

Mynocks deliver Babies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Senate Guards All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: