Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=392ecc36e83b35f6632008e3e9e6c8ddMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Leia Ceremonial Gown
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue (Beth)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made my outer layer from white swimsuit lining from JoAnns. It's got a beautiful drape and weight to it and the best part is that the ends do not require any finishing and it does not unravel. I thought it was better looking and much easier to work with than the chiffon.
PatchworkPirate (Courtney Hudgens)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a seller on etsy who does a sculpey necklace, and then a seller on ebay who does RESIN versions of the necklace and bracelet. I bought the resin bracelet and while it is chunky on the opening it's still more accurate than most bracelets I've found.

Or if you're willing to shell out the money, the real bracelet and necklace sometimes pop up (And wow are they expensive).
Princess Liz Fett (Liz Welsh)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Swfangirl, yeah, I know how you feel. Although I'm satisfied with my current version I still have that 'I could do this better...' thought. But since I got to hate chiffon while working on this dress I've kinda promised myself I'm not doing it again. Only upgrades will be to the accessories. Rolling Eyes

My bracelet was a cheap find on a town square marked; it has roughly the right proportions, but not the right pattern. I'd love to someday get the real deal, but that is crazy expensive. XD

You and Swfangirl are exactly right. My first ceremonial gown had chiffon and I completely hated it. After doing more research on the costume, I discovered that the semi-sheer layer is not chiffon. Not even close. It's more like a semi sheer, lining fabric. I then made a new ceremonial gown, following Kay Dee's tutorial, with the new fabrics that I chose Smile both of my fabrics (the inner layer and outer layer) were both a bit stretchy so I didn't even have to add a zipper. Also, the lining fabric has a much prettier flow to it than chiffon Wink I'll post some pics of my new dress soon when I have access to my PC (on my phone right now Lol)
Rebel Legion Costumer of the Year 2013
Princess Liz Fett (Liz Welsh)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 3 (View more...)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue wrote:
I made my outer layer from white swimsuit lining from JoAnns. It's got a beautiful drape and weight to it and the best part is that the ends do not require any finishing and it does not unravel. I thought it was better looking and much easier to work with than the chiffon.

I agree with Beth. The swimsuit liner is great to work with. I used swimsuit liner from Joanns also (for my new gown.)
Rebel Legion Costumer of the Year 2013
SandieMac (Sandie MacLachlan)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... I was spending too much money and time screwing it up by trying to make it myself so I went ahead and hired a seamstress to make it for me. Smile At least I can say I tried but now I'm even more convinced I am NOT a seamstress. I'll leave the work to the professionals.

Leia Buns

Jendirian Valley Delegation Leader
Do Or Do Not. There Is No Try.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious about that swimsuit liner now. Can you post an explanation of what it is/share a link? When I think swimsuit fabric I don't think 'oh, that sounds like something to use for a ceremonial gown'. Razz

The chiffon looks good, but is hell to work with, so if there's better fabrics out there for this dress then do share some pics. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Blue (Beth)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to what I used.

http://www.joann.com/swimwear-lining/xprd728506.html

I have a lot of small bits left. I can send you a swatch if you are interested.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you trying to get me to make this costume (again)? Razz I've only made it three times already.

But I'll keep this in the back of my mind if I should ever be crazy enough to redo this. (Which is a real possibility).

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: