Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5002d8e7861af6b9be29589adffb7adfMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jedi Starfighter Project
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Endor Base -> Endor Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ki-Ade Rane ()
Archived Member Profile

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Jedi Starfighter Project Reply with quote

If not, I think we should Very Happy I live in the Central Valley(Modesto)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I just came across this post as I was doing the archive transfer in preparation for the inevitable forum purge (must preserve our history!)

I have also thought it would be great for Endor Base to have some sort of vehicle if we'd like to get involved in parades, state fairs - etc. It does seem we'd need someone skilled in automotive work to act as a project lead for something of this magnitude. Not to mention people with time, money, resources, skills and a place to store the vehicle. So I'm guessing this never got off the ground because we didn't have people with the resources and skills to make it happen.

Rebel Legion - Endor Base
Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Facebook: Kay Dee Collection and Costumes
Taeriel ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this does sound cool! I wasn't sure from reading the thread, though - was it intended to be on the automotive side, ie based on/from a car, or a model built from scratch? Either way, I can see how it would be a massive undertaking, both in terms of time and cost.
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Base Membership Officer

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taeriel wrote:
I wasn't sure from reading the thread, though - was it intended to be on the automotive side, ie based on/from a car, or a model built from scratch?

I guess I was just assuming because he mentioned the GGG 501st Tank (which is on a car frame so it can be driven in parades) that he might be thinking along those lines.

But yeah, even if it wasn't on wheels it would be a huge undertaking and someone would need to have good building skills and the resources to do it. Oh yeah, and as he mentioned, transport it (not just store it). I know the GGG "Tank" is hauled on a trailer because I doubt is is a legal street vehicle. It's more like a float they can drive in parades, or put on display at events for photo ops.

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Vladric_Yavin (Devin)
Fallen Rebel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how many people you want to transport. You can fabricate the design out of sheet metal, fiberglass and plexiglass. If you are talking 10-15, it might be possible to attach it to a volkswagon beetle frame. But, you have to take into consideration the amount of torgue and horse power you want from the power plant ... engine.

Or this could be built on an econo van frame, where the frame is wider than a VW bug. Which would allow for more personnel transport. Also with an econ van frame, the power plant along with the drive train would be strong enough for the amount of weight that is being thought of. It's a very simple engine and drive train to work with. If an older van design is used, there is no need to work on fuel injection. Carburetion is simple to maintain on this type of vehicle. The Altenator would be sufficient to run any extra electronics inside the vehile.

Then the thought of making it street legal would have to be taken into consideration, which if so, saftey devices have to be installed, and emmision control devices must be equiped, or it could be taken to a referee to be excluded from the emissions list.

It depends on the design of the troop transport too. Has anyone came up with a design yet?

Yes, I was a mechanic in a previous life. Wink
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Base Membership Officer

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it seems this was Robert's brain child Smile The idea had occurred to me too after seeing Ian's Tank - but I have no way to fund or organize such a project. I have no storage space, no place to work on something so large, no skill - etc.

If someone else wanted to make one and wanted help painting things or getting parts here or there (like a team project) I would be willing to help with the kinds of things I can do Wink I'm just not a builder, and there is no way my husband (who at one time in life rebuilt classic Mustangs) is going to do something like this.

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Vladric_Yavin (Devin)
Fallen Rebel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no worries. I was just giving my two cents. Smile
Master Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, to be honest, I was going to originally build this myself. Its a project I know I can do. Building props on a 1:1 scale has never been a problem for me. ( and no - I wouldn't attach it to a car frame...I'd build my own custom frame to support it, that way the demenions are accurate)

I'm still thinking of doing this. I just need some time. (and some highly detailed pics as I like to incorporate details and accuracies besed on the original prop.

Master Jedi
Kay_Dee (Kathy)
Base Membership Officer

Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! I know you built the Dalek so I'm sure you could take that up a notch and build a starfighter! I don't know of anyone in Rebel Legion who has attempted something so ambitious. (outside of Shawn's H-Wing which is an actual car). I know if you had the time and energy it would be a huge hit. Thumbs up

Kay-Dee's Costume Site
Ixam Let'si (max)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Master Jedi,

Sorry for Necro Posting but I am seriously curious to see how this project might have faired?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Endor Base -> Endor Archive All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: