Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=4aa9ecefee20888b44c9f2ee613ddbfeMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Buying vs. Making

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lauphen_Staar (Emma)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Buying vs. Making Reply with quote

Hi, everybody! I'm about to jump in on a Luke Skywalker build (ANH flightsuit) and I already have my hands on the Master Replica helmet.

I plan on doing the two coveralls/sewing my own pockets as well as doing the harness, belt, and flares myself. I plan on buying the flak vest (ready to wear if I can find it!), commpad, and chest box.

What are the major cost differences to buying premade or fabricating myself? Does anyone have any tips or tricks that might help me save some money and stress?
DroidWelder ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying two pairs of coveralls will probably cost you as much as just ordering a pilot jumpsuit from Moncal. They are about $90 plus shipping and are good quality, accurate, and approvable out of the box.
The only issue is that it may take some time to get one once it's ordered.

The biggest issue with sewing the jumpsuit yourself is that there are no really accurate plans or patterns available for it. There are lots of plans and drawings out there, that are not necessarily correct in every respect, so you have to pick and choose what looks best for each component, pocket, ect....

Definitely make the harness, belt, and flares yourself to save money.
You can order the webbing from strapworks.com
Get the "Heavyweight Polypropelene" webbing. It's a lot cheaper than nylon webbing. What you'll need to do one pilot costs about $10 plus shipping.
You can also buy the rear vest buckle from Strapworks too if you need it.
The part number for the buckle is: MQRSA1 (Metal Quick Release Strap Adjuster 1") Have it powdercoated flat black. The price is less than $2 per buckle with powdercoating.
If you buy the right vest, you won't need the buckle.

Claudio of Argentina Worldwide AKA Custom Props, makes about the most accurate vest that you can get. You can get a discount if you contact him through this forum. There is an old thread on here about his vest where he posted in the thread. You just need to find it and contact him via PM.

This is for everyone else's benefit more than yours since you intend to buy the chest box.
But, I don't recommend buying a kit to save money. By the time you buy everything else that you'll need, you'll spend more than what it would cost to just buy one ready made. And most of the vac-formed kits out there are not very good quality to begin with.
The only way you could ever save any money on that is to build it from scratch using HIPs sheet plastic, by cutting out each flat piece and glue them all together.

David L.
Lauphen_Staar (Emma)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Thanks for the info! Surprised I've done a lot of research throughout the forums, but I missed a lot! It's nice to have it all in one place. ^__^ Thanks again!
Mac Bragg ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Research is the best thing you can do!

Asking questions and advice is the next best thing Very Happy
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dusting off an old thread, but what's the correct width for the strapping? At first I though one inch, but it's closer to 1 3/4", right?
DroidWelder ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The strapping is 2" wide for the ejection harness and the belt.
The strap used to hold the belt flares is 1" wide.
Lengths that you need of each should be listed in the tutorials.

David L.
Lauphen_Staar (Emma)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Yeah, I just noticed that it was all written in there minutes after I made the post XD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: