Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3f0fd2b0355b182e9e3f7daed789de79Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Chest box strap
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XWingDroid (Andrew Desautels)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Chest box strap Reply with quote

Does the chest box absolutely HAVE to have a buckle in the strap in back? Just doesn't feel right, or even look right since 1) it's constantly sagging, and 2) the "extra" length hangs 'way down like an untied bow on the back of a girl's Easter dress.

What if it was just one solid piece which attached in front behind the box itself?
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean? Can you post a picture?
I wear mine under the vest in the back and have no issues

DL (Johan Hanson)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean. Make sure that the straps go through the buckle doubled up and they should fit better. The authentic straps are relatively thick, but one still needs to tighten them every once and again.
I used to fold the ends over so that the ends hang down on the inside of the strap.

Edit: Bah, I am too tired. I saw JediXXL's post and through first that it was about the flak vest's strap.
DroidWelder ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Chest box strap Reply with quote

If you have a lot of extra strap hanging, just cut it off. Sellers make their strap so it's long enough for everyone.
If you don't need that much, get rid of the excess.

If your buckle is threaded properly, it shouldn't easily come loose.

If you are still having problems with it, you can sew a small patch of velcro on the end of the strap and the mating piece further up where the end meets. That should completely stop any loosening of the strap.

Here's another solution provided the LCJ's approve:
I've read in some old threads where certain individuals made a connection point for the strap on the back side of the chest box. You could certainly do that and then permanently sew both sides of the strap in place on the buckle.

David L.

XWingDroid wrote:
Does the chest box absolutely HAVE to have a buckle in the strap in back? Just doesn't feel right, or even look right since 1) it's constantly sagging, and 2) the "extra" length hangs 'way down like an untied bow on the back of a girl's Easter dress.

What if it was just one solid piece which attached in front behind the box itself?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's what I'm wondering, especially if the strap goes under the flak vest and is not visible in back anyway; just wrap it around to insert in behind the box, with buckle or even with a velcro network. I'm figuring it's tough to call something screen-inaccurate if it doesn't even show....
MrTexas (Chris Hummel)
Legion PR Officer
Legion PR Officer

Medals: 8 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine exactly where it needs to be, marked it, cut it and sewed Velcro on it up where it would go back inside the box. Its still kind of a pain in the rear to get on and off but it looks good.
Active Legion Member

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XWingDroid wrote:
Yep, that's what I'm wondering, especially if the strap goes under the flak vest and is not visible in back anyway; just wrap it around to insert in behind the box, with buckle or even with a velcro network. I'm figuring it's tough to call something screen-inaccurate if it doesn't even show....

Gil may keep his strap tucked under his vest, but I don't think that everyone else does that. I don't have an approved costume myself yet, but I would think that the buckle would be more to one side so you could actually reach it for putting it on and taking it off. Whenever I feed the strap through one of my chest boxes, I leave the buckle to one side. And to my knowledge, most of my buyers use it that way. The chest box goes on after the vest does, and my guess is that most people have their strap on over the vest. I certainly am not going to take the time to tuck the strap under there and hide it when it should look like a functional piece of the costume.

There are a lot of old posts and photos of people guessing how things are supposed to work that are totally wrong and I think there should be some serious clarification on this stuff!

For Example: One of the costume part sellers that was around for a long time did not sew the buckle onto the strap. The buyer was supposed to sew the buckle on themselves for their choice of left or right handed operation.
The seller tucked both ends of the strap into the buckle for the photo that was posted to sell his chest boxes.
Then prominent members of this forum (at that time) re-posted the same photo stating that this is how you are supposed to thread the buckle. This was re-posted a few times in various threads.

Here's the photo:

THIS IS THE WRONG WAY TO THREAD THE BUCKLE!!!

In my opinion, posts that contain false information such as this should be completely deleted from this forum.
But of course I have no say over that.
The costume standard says that the buckle needs to be there. Learn how to use it properly and I don't think there will be a problem.

This isn't directed specifically at you Andrew, but those in charge here keep claiming that the costume standard is not meant to be an all inclusive thing, yet this kind of stuff keeps coming up. If there were more inclusive instructions posted. (and false information deleted) This wouldn't be such an issue.

I'm Just Say'n.......
David L.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, it's all good, I'm just trying to learn, being new to this. Didn't realise the buckle absolutely had to be there, and honestly I never thought about anything other than it going in back. Glad to know about the side option. You say it doesn't matter whether it's left or right?
Figure in here I'm learning from those who do know, which is why I ask. Hopefully nobody thinks I'm trying to be difficult!

Incidentally, I'm telling my wife this is a very, very mild midlife crisis; MUCH cheaper than a muscle car, and MUCH more moral than an affair. Wanted to be an X-Wing pilot for about 35 years now, anyway.
Plus her ex is a huge Trekkie, so that helps Cool
DroidWelder ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XWingDroid wrote:
Hey, it's all good, I'm just trying to learn, being new to this. Didn't realise the buckle absolutely had to be there, and honestly I never thought about anything other than it going in back. Glad to know about the side option. You say it doesn't matter whether it's left or right?
Figure in here I'm learning from those who do know, which is why I ask. Hopefully nobody thinks I'm trying to be difficult!

Well, I'm not an LCJ, and I haven't seen any examples of the buckle visible from the front on either side (I haven't tried to look for it) however, the actors in the movies had people dressing them.
If it were a real world situation where they were being attacked and had to get to their ships, most pilots would be dressing themselves and only have help with difficult equipment that required extra people to put on.
It would be ridiculous to have the buckle right in the center of the back where you couldn't hardly reach it, or operate it properly to get it on or off.

I personally would put it a little more towards the back on whatever side is most comfortable to you, but still where you could get to it and operate it.

David L.
DL (Johan Hanson)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DroidWelder wrote:

THIS IS THE WRONG WAY TO THREAD THE BUCKLE!!!

... except that that way of threading the buckle has been spotted in the movies. Razz
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw, heck...did I just start another Spanish Inquisition??
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will not be any inquisitions today, Spanish or otherwise. Mr. Green

It is in the standards that it has to be there, so as long as it is present and visible when the costume judges go to approve your costume, I think you're good.

Mine is there, but it just happens to wind up under my vest to keep my straps neat. That's how I do it, you may have a different way.

Wink Remember, we're the fun detachment...
Mac Bragg ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As seen on screen, the vest is short (above the elbows), the chestbox is worn at the bottom of "the gap", placing the strap clear of the bottom of the vest. Note that there is a good 4" - 5" height difference between Luke and Gavin, yet the chestbox is worn in the same relative position

Legion PR Officer
Legion PR Officer

Medals: 8 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha, if the pilots had to put these on in a real war we would all be speaking Imperial right now Razz

Im actually in the process of making a "modern" version of the Pilot suit for fun to probably wear at C 7
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having trouble actually seeing where the buckle is on the actors...where do they generally have it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: