Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=4d14bb129140c6131616ede5ff22034aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Possible Jek Porkins in Las Vegas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Possible Jek Porkins in Las Vegas Reply with quote

Hi guys and gals! Currently my only approved costume is my Chewie. Even though Chewie is a rockstar at a lot of events, there is a darkside to it. It usually takes at least one to two people to dress me. I need a dedicated handler to make sure I don't crush children or fall over things in my stilts. Also Ive had a knee surgery recently and the stilts are a killer on my knee and hips. Anyhow, enough complaining about costuming, we all make sacrifices to troop.

So it wasn't until I visited my Rebel Legion friends in Tokyo that I realized that I think I would make a decent Jek Porkins. Being a 6 foot 330 pound bearded man, what better costume?

Long story short is I wanted to know the veteran pilots recommendations. What was a sticking point on your build? What is hard? What would you do different if you had to do it all over again?

As far as the build I would of course like it Legion approved, however I'm not looking to be 100% 1977 authentic. For instance I don't need metal code cylinders and flares. I don't need a working mic and com pad. However visually I would like it too look as accurate as possible.

What fan made gear do you recommend (chest boxes, helmets)? Which fan based builders did you use?

I'm experienced with armor building so putting together the kit helmet should be within my skill. I'm also experienced with prop building, molding and painting. I'm still new to the sewing game but I do want to take on the challenge of modifying work overalls to a flight suit (pockets, collar, etc).

Also on "water decals" do you use them or just custom paint your helmet? Do decals exist for Jek Porkins? Is there a template for his markings?

A big thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give to a possible pilot. It's a long time before Celebration 2015, but like I said I have a lot of Chewbacca upgrades to knock out first, but I'm hoping to have both costumes completed before the Celebration.

Thanks!

View my profile on: Rebel Legion - CloneTroopers.Net

Checkout my Chewbacca Facebook page for pictures and videos.
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add like any good RL member, I did my research. I still want to know what the x-wing pilots here ended up doing or what they would have done different. This is the list I came up with so far (working from head to feet). As always I'm open to suggestions.

Helmet:
Fan made helmet. Taking suggestions.

Question: I noticed almost all kits come with a styrene strip for the top of the mohawk which is appied on top. I also noticed that in almost all applications there is always a noticable gap between the strip and the helmet. Is it against standards to use dody filler and sand it down smooth? I noticed in some scenes the gap is notiable in others it seems smooth.

Helmet Decals:
I'd hate to have to hand paint, but I do have the equipment and somewhat of the skills to do it, but I'd prefer decals.

I really like Rando Mextra's take on the porkins helmet design:

Fight Suit (and mods):
Since actual orange military flight suits don't go past XL (and this is a Porkins build) I'll probably opt for the "two" work coverall design. Those suits go up to a 64" waist. I'll sacrafice one suit to make pokets and a collar. I will most likely build off of this thread here(thanks IndustrialSizeEd): Flightsuit tutorial

Flak Vest:
I really like JediXXL's Flak Vest Tutorial, but like I said, I'm new to sewing ad that thing looks like a challenge (way worse than the flight suit). I'll go fan made, but I'm worried about them being "porkin sized". Recommendations welcome.

Chest Box:
I would like to build my own. I will most likely build off of this thread here: Dimensions for chest box?

Going off of the already established chest box paterns (thanks JediXXL) and Porkins screenshots, looks like this is his design:

Question: Is there a deffinative hose? Diameter? Type? I noticed some hoses are spiral in ribbing. Others have horazontal ribbing.

Code Cylinders:
I might just get the Elvis Trooper versions and save a bunch of time (asuming he still makes them). If not this tutorial by Datalore looks easy enough.

Gloves:
Digging these leather gauntlets by Leather Mystics.

Ejection Harness & Belt:
I'll use JediXXL's Rebel Pilot Ejection Harness Tutorial and Rebel Pilot Belt Guide

Leg Flares:

I really like JediXXL's Leg Flares and Holder Tutorial

Boot:
And finally the boots.

The Bates looks like an overall more comfortable shoe (wide sizes too). But will I get the beat down because of the small logo on the heel, or are they still approvable?:

If it's a big deal I can always get the Engineer Leather Motorcycle Boots from Cycle Gear. I have a Cycle Gear localy so if they don't fit I can return/exchange.

Again thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

View my profile on: Rebel Legion - CloneTroopers.Net

Checkout my Chewbacca Facebook page for pictures and videos.
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew ... a lot of questions. Let's see if I can cover them all:

• Recommendations here on the RL forums:
- helmet: darthhair, DW Designs & Rando Mextra (the latter can assemble and paint it for you)
- chestbox: Droidwelder & darthhair
- flares and arm tools: Elvistrooper/ObiKenny
- Suit & Vest - Claudo (from Customs-props/Argentina Props) - made to your measurements

• Take it from a Pilot LCJ, the Flak Vest is the #1 item that throws a pilot costume submission into a tailspin. Otherwise, reeeeaaallly read the Costume Standards and make sure you follow them.

• Yes, you can bondo the gap between the mohawk strip and the helmet.

• Most people paint their helmet designs, some use decals. It's all personal preference.

• There should be no logos/decorations or buckles on the boots.

Hope this info helps!

DroidWelder ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HazardThree wrote:
Whew ... a lot of questions. Let's see if I can cover them all:

• Recommendations here on the RL forums:
- helmet: darthhair, DW Designs & Rando Mextra (the latter can assemble and paint it for you)

• Take it from a Pilot LCJ, the Flak Vest is the #1 item that throws a pilot costume submission into a tailspin.
Otherwise, reeeeaaallly read the Costume Standards and make sure you follow them.

• There should be no logos/decorations or buckles on the boots.

Hope this info helps!

A couple things that you may want to make note of:

The Rando Mextra (Formerly known as Jedi Mickey) helmets are smaller than other vendor helmets. Maybe too small if you have a large head!

Mistakes tend to creep in to the Costume Standards and it's not always 100 percent correct. Unfortunately when there is a mistake posted on the Standard, it can stay there for a very long time. If something doesn't seem quite right, double check it on the forum.

The upper buckle on the Engineer Motorcycle boots is an important "Functional" piece that holds the top of the boot shaft together, and most people do not remove that one.
You can simply let your pant leg on the jumpsuit drape over it a little to cover it.
If an LCJ says that my suggestion is incorrect, and there is some other recommendation to modify the boots, then Please post it because I haven't seen any.
The lower buckle on the motorcycle boots is purely decorative and needs to be removed.

Todzilla wrote:

Chest Box:
I would like to build my own. I will most likely build off of this thread here: Dimensions for chest box?

Going off of the already established chest box paterns (thanks JediXXL) and Porkins screenshots, looks like this is his design:

Question: Is there a deffinative hose? Diameter? Type? I noticed some hoses are spiral in ribbing. Others have horazontal ribbing.

I do not usually go by those chest box graphics that are posted. Many of them have been modified by other people then reposted, and they are not very accurate! This one definitely looks to be a modified one as nothing on it really resembles the screen used chest box.
I have never, ever seen a white rocker switch with a dark colored top edge!!!! Also look at the position of the target dot (at the top) in relation to the square buttons. That graphic shows it no where hear it's position on Porkin's box in the movie screen grabs.
You can barely see the top edge of the outside rocker switch in the screen grab, and it looks dark colored, not white. The action figure actually has the switch colors as grey-white-grey. This is why I chose to go with those colors for Porkins chest box.

As far as the type of hose attached to the chest box. For most people it's a matter of whatever hose they can find that looks fairly accurate.
The correct size is about 1 1/8" diameter but most chest box makers use a hose that is 1" diameter as it's the only thing available that comes bulk in large rolls.
There are a couple of different washing machine drain hoses that can be found that are about 1 1/8". One has more pronounced ribs like ESB boxes, and the other has more of a flat surface on it like the hoses you see in ANH.

David L.

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38021

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48482
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Active Legion Member

Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David- you're right about the upper buckle. It can stay so long as it's hidden by blousing the pant leg. =)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: