Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1d59b5ee8b91df3cdddd7361a2d9fb50Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

2nd Try: How's This?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XWingDroid (Andrew Desautels)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: 2nd Try: How's This? Reply with quote

Redid the strap lengths. How's this?

Also, on the rear view, I KNOW there's a bit of extra strap sticking out by the shoulder. That's usually tucked in where it can't be seen. PLEASE tell me I don't have to totally redo that view just for that, for submission??

Last edited by XWingDroid (Andrew Desautels) on Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good to me. I'd just pull the front of the vest down a little bit and I think you'd be good to go.

As for the visible piece in your back picture, I think you'd be okay, so long as you note it in your application, and a judge will probably tell you to be sure it's tucked in when trooping. The same would probably go for the front of the vest, it would probably pass and a judge would just tell you to pull it down when you troop.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi
-Former RLSC XO - Former Costume Judge - RL Pilot Costume Mentor

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mac Bragg ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vest can sit anywhere between the bottom of collar and a little less than a hand's width below it. Keep the front and back even.

I'd recommend lowering the chest box by making the neck strap longer. Screen used, the top of the box is about even with the bottom of "the gap" - Chest box not Neck box Laughing

This also puts the bottom strap below the vest (also worn that way on screen).

I've shortened my shoulder straps by 3" from what you see in the sig graphic for a more accurate appearance.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration17 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice helmet work! Did you do it yourself or have someone else make it?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks! Any chance I'll have to redo the photos for those details to be accepted, or will this suffice since they can see I've got it all there, essentially?

Troy, that's a FarAndAwayCreations helmet, had to almost totally redo the interior. Paint is all mine too; almost everything came out of a spray can with a ton of fine masking, if you can believe that. It's sort of an homage to Gold Leader and Wes Janson.
twhigham (Troy Whigham)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XWingDroid wrote:
Thanks folks! Any chance I'll have to redo the photos for those details to be accepted, or will this suffice since they can see I've got it all there, essentially?

Troy, that's a FarAndAwayCreations helmet, had to almost totally redo the interior. Paint is all mine too; almost everything came out of a spray can with a ton of fine masking, if you can believe that. It's sort of an homage to Gold Leader and Wes Janson.

Looks good in the pics! I looked up Far Away Creations and they no longer offer helmets so I'm sticking with my Plan A, which is to restore/modify a clunker APH5 (same helmet dimensions as the APH6b but without helmet visor) with cut-off bits from a Rubies helmet. I studied your helmet to get some ideas on what to do with mine, and I've come to the conclusion that I can't even come close to your work, so I'll keep mine fairly generic white except for a set of Red 10 decals embellished with a pair of red Rebel symbols. I'm having helmet envy! Razz
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's a great painting tip. For fine masking use 1/8" vinyl tape. Got mine at Office Max. Great for the fine stripes, fantastic for long curved bits. Here's a photo of it being used to mask the dark gray. The black is the vinyl tape; it's one continuous piece all the way around except right at the front of the crest. Then one continuous piece each for the two inside areas.

And here she is before the vinyl markings are applied. Everything here was spray painted. That vinyl tape was key to it, when used in wise combination with regular masking:

twhigham (Troy Whigham)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip about the vinyl tape! I never would have thought of it. I usually use regular masking tape for that, but I can see where vinyl would stretch to the curvature of the helmet better. I may have to start brainstorming a paint scheme now. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> X-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: