Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5c80730c648f77bc49802d22f76165e0Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Body painting question(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Twi'leks and Togruta
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tilsha ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:31 am    Post subject: Body painting question(s) Reply with quote

Ok so I want to paint myself green. But I keep remembering when I was 6 I did the wicked witch and I was so flat. You could not see my cheeks it was drab. My mom said it's cause she didn't know how to do highlights.

So my question is, does anyone know how to create highlights or keep them when painting? Also what do you recommend for paint, like the brands, water base or alcohol based ect.
I have an airbrush. And by body I mean my face hands arms and my torso (there will be a lot of cleavage).

If there is a posting about this can someone just link me to it. or any tutorials out there you know about.

Thanks.
Lauphen_Staar (Emma)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm by no means an expert or very experienced, but I'm doing a Hera from Rebels in the future with a green paint, too. My plan (and I've done a few tests that have worked out well) is to use an eye shadow palette of green shades to do some contour work. Find a regular contouring tutorial and just replace the skin tones with your green shadow. ^__^ I don't know how well it will last all day or how it would interact with the paint on your body, though.
KoiFishAsylum ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I recently did a blue twi'lek cosplay for Boston Comic Con. I used an air compressor and air brush to apply.
This is how it came out:
http://th01.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2014/223/9/e/star_wars_cosplays_by_koifishasylum-d7usavf.jpg
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2014/224/b/e/blue_twi_lek_by_koifishasylum-d7uxv9g.jpg
http://th00.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/i/2014/223/c/e/stormtrooper_down_time_by_koifishasylum-d7usbb0.jpg

I've heard bad things about Latex paint, so I do not recommend that. What I used was an alcohol based paint that when dry had the consistency of a fake tattoo. Which is great because it lasted rather well through a full convention day (I was selling stuff I made in my little artist booth all day). The brand I used was Kustom Body Art which I bought off of ebay. I also used a white alcohol based paint for a Harley Quinn Suicide Squad cosplay I did twice, which created a great effect.
Here's one for green I found for you:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-oz-GREEN-Body-Art-TEMPORARY-TATTOO-AIRBRUSH-PAINT-Ink-/141359651500?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20e9b11aac

The stuff is a bit pricey, but worth the effect you want. I warn you against trying not to do anything that might make the paint stick to other stuff either--like the first time I applied this for my Harley Quinn cosplay, I didn't think to put a towel down on my leather car seats, and some came off my legs and I spent part of the next day scrubbing it off. I also warn you that it takes a while to scrub it all off. Using "reel creations body art remover" helped dissolve it a bit, but I am not sure if you might get a similar effect with baby oil to be honest. The consistency was similar.

As for highlights, as you can see, I didn't bother going as in depth with that as I could have. But with my experience with painting in general, you want to start with white, and apply a few drops of green at a time to the paint canister until you get the highlight color you want to go for.

But that is my rant on body paint. Let me know if it helps or if you find any other methods that work better Very Happy
WanderingWindward (Casey)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2015 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'm doing a turquoise Twi'lek, and this is my first time too. I trolled through a lot of the threads at http://chucrew.com/TwilekCelebration/index.php to get ideas. They very strongly recommend the alcohol based airbrush paint, like what KoiFishAsylum above me did.

The folks on that site talk alot about Reel Creations, but I actually use Temptu's brand of alcohol based paint. (There's a store in Atlanta that sells it, so I was able to buy the small bottles and play to figure out what I wanted, then order the larger bottles online) It does take a little getting use to, but the cool thing is it's very easy to mix the colors.

When I do my paint, my base color is a mix of three colors, It's half blue, quarter green, and quarter white. I lay down that base color on my whole face and hands. Then I divide however much of my base paint is left over into two bottles. To one of them I add some white to make a highlight, and to the other I add green to make a shadow. Then I just airbrush those colors on to my face in the right spots.

So far I think I've been putting my shades and highlights on very subtly, mostly because I'm still learning how to work my airbrush. It likes to play up and give me fits, and I get frustrated and give up. But the more I do it, the better it gets.

Incidentally, when it comes to making the paint not stick and come off on other things, I've found that simply putting some translucent makeup powder on it once I've completely finished putting all the paint on, works really well. Once the powder is on, it's not sticky at all, and doesn't rub off.
Tilsha ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. That is very helpful.
Do you think I could do my base paint with the airbrush then hand paint the highlights and lowlights? Since I am new to airbrushing.
WanderingWindward (Casey)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You definitely could.

Also, it seems (to me at least, your mileage may vary) to work best when I do a base coat with a sponge or brush, and then airbrush on top of that, to remove the blotchy and streaky-ness. If I try to do the whole coat by airbrush only, it seems to take a long time. That's for just getting the base color on. Then you'd do the highlights and shadows on top of that.

I prefer to do that initial work with a brush. I feel like a sponge soaks up too much paint, and like koifishasylum points out, this stuff is expensive to let the sponge claim so much of it. But other people prefer the sponge because it can be less streaky than a brush. It kinda comes down to your preference.
KoiFishAsylum ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My airbrushing and facial makeup (just around the eyes with eye shadow to make my face look less flat) and costume took a total of one hour to apply. But I also had someone helping to spray me while I stood there very very still for like 20 min after the fact to make sure not to smudge lol I tried doing a base coat with a different type of paint for my face the first time I did my Suicide Squad Harley Quinn (which required full white body paint) and I do not recommend that. It came out blotchy. And after applying the paint 3 times now, I recommend starting with your legs, base, face, arms, and when you are doing doing any touch ups or whatever, then lightly hands (lighter on the finger tips and palms), so you don't have to repaint them when you are done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> Twi'leks and Togruta All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: