Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=0cc4ddb1258b13525a785423011c5aa3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Mountain Base & Garrison Joint Ops
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Mountain Base -> Mountain Base Members Only -> Mountain Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JawaJaka ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, I've been running the R2 KT Make-A-Wish auction for some years now. I had to give the reigns to the RMFF because I couldn't get the MG or the MB to participate in any large scale locally with this charitiy. I pray Shana can do a better job than I did with her charity efforts. I just couldn't get anyone involved. For those who did support me in this endeavor, thank you.

The problem is the world is considerably different than it was five-ten years ago. Fewer people have the money or time to make cannon costumes, head up a fundraiser, etc. Alot of people I know, including myself, are on crazy work schedules. I just can't ask for a day off in the middle of the week to help out at some kid's birthday party (which seems to be the bulk of the MB troops). I have been accused of helping out in the SRS when the MHS needed me, but where are the MHS troops? And I can't afford to come down to the Springs all the time. I haven't seen Denver area troops for MG or MB, which pretty much leaves me out. I do troop in the St. Pats parade, and I did enjoy the Arvada Harvest parade, both with MB and RMFF, but what else am I suppose to do? There's nothing else on Fridays and Saturdays, not really. And being quadruple member (MG, MB, RMFF, and leader of the Mountain States R2's) I've kinda got my hands full with less days off to do these troops. People are busy just trying to hold onto their houses and cars, their families, their jobs, etc. Yes, we need more participation, but those of us who did can't anymore (Bill stated as such in the previous post). You can't hold a gun to members heads and say "you have to participate to save the club". Another member said it best in another post (to paraphrase): "I participate on my own time on my own terms in whatever costume I choose no matter what club I'm representing." (or something like that).

With all this BS going on again, I almost wish 501st and RL didn't exist at all. Instead I wish there was one large SW costuming group that encompasses all costumes. I, too, have heard comments from both sides about each other. Tony, you ask if anyone else has had the problem that Shana faces. I had that problem before I even joined (and I was kinda forced into a dual membership with my jawa even though I thought it was really cool to be accepted into both at the same time). No one in the MG or MB actually accepted me with open arms. Bill pointed out how I could improve my jawa at a St. Pats parade, and then invited me to his house after Starfest to work on it and get submission pics. He was about the only one who opened his arms (and home) to me. If it wasn't for him I would never have joined either one.

Think about this, fellow members. How accomodating, welcoming, friendly are you really to new potential members, regardless if they have an approved costume or not? I see both groups very much like high school cliques. To remind everyone, I was an R2 builder long before I was 501st or RL, and that group accepted me as I am, as a SW fan, as someone who loves R2, and as a friend. Neither MG or MB treated me with respect like the R2 BC did. It seems I had to earn it, which is so wrong on so many levels. Even though I tend to do more MG troops (because there are more of them and because I have more Imperial costumes, because that's what I like!), I do try to represent MB and RMFF whenever I can. But to tell you all the real truth, I'm an R2 builder first and foremost, and that's where my main allegiance lies. The rest is just fun when AL can't come out and play and I need to get out of the house. When there is a troop/event to go to on my time off, that is.

(This has been edited down from three pages of angry stuff I don't need to post, to keep the peace. I still love you guys and hope to troop with all of you when I can. Jawa Jaka is still around.)
Obey Wann (William Blackburn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad I was able to help, Lynelle. Smile You have a bunch of really good points, too. I understand how tough it is to keep from getting emotional and flying off the handle.

One of the things I love about Fan Force in general, and the RMFF specifically, is that it is open to people, regardless of SW interest. Costuming, non-costuming, gaming, comics, books, whatever. It's all good. Everyone is welcome. The 501st and yes, even the Rebel Legion in general, could learn from that example. That whole golden rule thing. Cool But in any group, it is easy to become clique-ish. We need to fight that tendency.

Brack was right, there are a handful of people in the MG that will probably always hold the position that 501st should be completely separate from the RL. Some of them seem to hold the attitude that the 501st should still just be TKs and Vaders only.

Ironically, 99% of the time they get along just fine with RL and other 501st costumers face to face. It's just in online discussions that they take such a hard line stance. Since we probably won't change those attitudes, I say "kill them with kindness." Be nice to them, regardless. Treat them better than they treat you. In person, and online. Again, it's that whole golden rule thing. Cool

So what if there have been a couple of bad apples, some personality clashes? Those things will happen. Honestly, I agree with Brack. I think some of the inter-group issues are really just personality issues.

Quote:
Beyond that, I have to ask this question for everyone to ponder...
Are there some instances where a percieved RL vs. 501st mentality could actually be more of a personality conflict between individuals regardless of club or costume?

So if we treat those conflicts as just personality conflicts, then we are able to see that the reality of inter-fan group relations here is pretty good.

I think that if we step back and take a bigger picture look at inter-fan-group relations, the reality is that we are doing MUCH better than we were years ago.

We have made a LOT of progress:

- MG CO: Brack and Scott were both dual members during their terms as MG CO.
- MB COs: All MB COs have been dual members for several years.
- We have a great joint ops planning section.
- We put together tons of great joint operations every year.

I think the reality is that most of the time, things between the groups are great. Occasionally, we have personality conflicts. That will happen in any volunteer organization. As tough as it is, all of us (myself included), need to let old issues die and remain in the past. We need to treat people better. We can't change the past. We (probably) can't change some people's hard-line stances. We need to move forward.

And Lynelle is right, it has been tough here in the Denver area. Trooping events have been relatively scarce. Some of our most active people have (for multiple reasons) had to take a less active stance. All volunteer groups go through up and down periods where membership ebbs and flows.

I think what we need to do is to focus on what we can change.

- Making what trooping events we have better
- Recruiting
- Retention
- Treating everyone well, regardless of costume type or group affiliation
- Not being a clique
- Taking leadership on troop generation, organization and events
- Build some kind of Rebel themed group project
- Be more welcoming to new potential members
- Make it fun!!!

So, let's make it fun. Let's build something new. Let's do something silly. Whatever. But let's let past personality conflicts and issues die. Please. And let's make some kids smile. Let's raise some money for charity. Let's get to doing what we do best!!!

Ozz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you.

Well said Bill.
PtrsonsZOO (Jennifer Peterson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Celebration17 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A terrific chance for a Joint Op would be the May the Fourth event at Wings Over the Rockies. Evil or Very Mad

After last year's MIND BLOWING success, it's going to be an ALL HANDS ON DECK situation this year. The museum has already received enough interest to make them think we'll be blasting through last year's attendance record, and we're planning for even more fun this year.

And believe me...when everyone is scrambling to handle 3K people flashing cameras at them, and a sea of Jawas beating each other with foam sabers...there's no time for personality conflicts! Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Tblazer ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The McColletts are planning on being there again this year.

We had a BLAST last year. The crowd was great and the museum was very nice to us.
PtrsonsZOO (Jennifer Peterson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Hoping to get all 3 squads there this year, and we're trying to have everything under a little better organization this year. I'll be sending another big info blast in the next week or so to the various leadership folks who've contacted me. If you get a chance, drop me an email, please, so I can include you in that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
darthhair (Jeff Rodriquez)
Mountain Base XO
Mountain Base XO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plushie wrote:
Rebels, if you would like access to the joint ops boards on the Mountain Garrison, follow these steps:

Go to: [url]mg501.com[/url]

Register for the forum.

Follow the instructions here for joint ops access:
http://www.mg501.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6314

Wait for access, then troop away!

I post these steps because it's not always easy to cross post events and keep up with them in two forums. Also, the Garrison is kind enough to make a number of events joint ops so that we can participate.
Pagil M'gar (Patrick Gillies)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 7 (View more...)
2016 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darthhair wrote:
plushie wrote:
Rebels, if you would like access to the joint ops boards on the Mountain Garrison, follow these steps:

Go to: [url]mg501.com[/url]

Register for the forum.

Follow the instructions here for joint ops access:
http://www.mg501.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6314

Wait for access, then troop away!

I post these steps because it's not always easy to cross post events and keep up with them in two forums. Also, the Garrison is kind enough to make a number of events joint ops so that we can participate.

This link no longer works. Does anyone have a new one, or can you provide me some direction about registering on the MG forums?
darthhair (Jeff Rodriquez)
Mountain Base XO
Mountain Base XO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you got it to work Patrick.
https://www.facebook.com/DHPFX
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Mountain Base -> Mountain Base Members Only -> Mountain Archive All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: