Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=75701f30a3bda010006397b5055a2663Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Slave Leia and Trooping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Slave Leia and Trooping Reply with quote

I'm helping my niece build an approv-able slave Leia costume. We are going for as close to movie accurate as possible. One thing working for her is she has the same facial features, height and weight of Carrie Fisher (at her age in ROTJ).

However while doing research, and going to our monthly Legion meetings, it seems like there is a rule about "no revealing" or "slave costumes" allowed. I noticed other members with this same issue, here is a post from Nomad Angie:

Nomad Angie wrote:
As we all know, Slave Leia is the most risque costume of all the movies. Most of us submit this costume as our first official costume and then we have to get started on another costume because most troops won't even allow wearing it.

I totally understand not having a Slave Leia walking through a cancer ward at a hospital for sick children, but walking in a fourth of July Parade is off limits? What confuses me is Return of the Jedi was a PG film, if kids watched it, they would see the same thing.

I also think that we are kind of lowering "Leia's" value as a hero just because of that outfit. Jabba obviously put her in that outfit to demean her and enslave her. However, like the hero she was, she killed the Hutt with her own chains and prevailed!

I understand limiting "sexy" interpretations like sexy ewok, sexy stormtroopers, sexy ______. But Slave Leia (if approved by CRL) is a movie accurate costume. Again I understand "common sense", hospitals or small intimate venues, are not appropriate for Slave Leia (even if it is movie accurate), but shielding kids from something they would see in a PG movie anyway, especially since they probably see WAY worse in daily life just seems overboard to me. Also it's in the context of the character. Leia wasn't acting like a "hussy" in ROTJ, she was a prisoner.

I think making Slave Leia only appropriate at "adult" events belittles the character saying "it's only acceptable for adults with their mind in the gutter are the people who can enjoy this costume" instead of celebrating the actual character.

Sorry for the long drawn out post, I just think that it's all on how the character is presented. Sure the costume is "revealing" and "sexy", but in the context of the movie and Leia's actions, not that inappropriate. Again I say that kids see more midriff on their pop stars then on Leia.

Anyhow, I'm not trying to rock the boat or start trouble, just venting Smile I guess if the rule won't change then how does one keep their Slave Leia costume "active" if their aren't many places to wear it? Is it only "cons" they can wear it? Anybody out their successfully troop an event that wasn't a con dressed as Slave Leia?

Thanks in advance! Again I'm not trying to be a trouble maker. I just think we should celebrate Slave Leia as the heroic (and sexy) character she is and not hide her out of shame!

View my profile on: Rebel Legion - CloneTroopers.Net

Checkout my Chewbacca Facebook page for pictures and videos.
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think when it comes down to it, it's up to our event organizers. I have even heard of some events (like a library event or something) asking a fireside Padme to put a coat on because her cleavage was offending parents of small children. If there are events where our hosts or the attendees feel uncomfortable about a costume, it's our job to accommodate them.

This costume I think really has two ways that people see it, which don't tend to overlap. There are those that see it as disempowering and sexually objectifying of Leia as she is enslaved, and there are those that see it as empowering that even in that position she was able to save her own skin. While we should celebrate the later part where it is appropriate, it is also important to respect that it means the former to a lot of people as well, and most event attendees are there to snap some photos and move on rather than engage in conversations about empowerment.

So I guess my take on this and all other costumes is, wear what we want and celebrate it as long as our event hosts are okay with it. We are able to do the events we do because they graciously invite us to participate.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SongofAmazon wrote:
So I guess my take on this and all other costumes is, wear what we want and celebrate it as long as our event hosts are okay with it. We are able to do the events we do because they graciously invite us to participate.

I totally agree that it is up to the event organizers. If it's something they don't want, then of course we should definitely respect their wishes. I guess probably the best bet is the local bases/etc when organizing events should of course ask these questions.

In related news it would be nice to know how many Slave Leias we have out there and how many events the have been "okay-ed" for. I believe the rule is you have to make at least one troop per year to keep your costume on the active list. So if everyone is following the rules, these Leia's have to be doing some troops to stay active.

Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Slave Leia and Trooping Reply with quote

Todzilla wrote:
What confuses me is Return of the Jedi was a PG film, if kids watched it, they would see the same thing.

No, they would absolutely NOT see the same thing.
See, a movie shows a (very!) controlled point of view. What isn't shown in the movie cannot be circumvented by changing the angle of view to the TV. It's not possible.
However, it's very possible in real life.

What the heck am I talking about? Very simple.

Slave Leia is wearing a loin cloth of very light fabric, with - at best - a thong beneath it. Now imagine the wind catching said loin cloth to blow it up. That happens. It should definitely have happened on Jabba's barge, but it did not - THAT is the very controlled POV of a movie.
Also, the camera in the movie never looked "sideways up" on Leia, like a small child would do. If the camera had done that... instant glimpse of the thong. If a child would do that... you get the point.

That is why kids do NOT get to see just the same as in the movie. They get to see much more because there's no way to restrict their POV.
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the Slave Leia builds I've researched do employ undergarments and even swimsuit bottoms. No all of them necessarily using just a thong. It really depends on the build of the "bottom" plates.

It also it depends on the parents of the children and what they are comfortable with. I think in more "liberal" cities, places, etc, a woman in a bikini (especially those in a more "artsy" form of a costume) it's not that big of an issue. For example at multiple types of conventions (Dragon Con, Animie Con, Comic Con, etc) there are tons of children walking around and several women wearing close to nothing. I do agree that it's up to the parents knowing what they are getting into. However my views on political correctness don't belong here on this forum, but I'll just say here in America I think the priorities might be off. Violent video games where you shoot, stab and kill other players is ok. Music with curse words, also ok. But seeing a glimpse of a butt cheek is just going too far? Neutral

Long story short I concede to the point it's up to the people requesting Legion characters at their event and I totally respect anything they decide and would not be offended or upset in the least bit. Because in the end we are going out and doing this for them. I do a ton of charity events as Chewie and it makes me happy to see smiles on the face of kids and adults alike.

My only peeve is that the Slave Leia costume (especially an approved costume) seems to be doomed to be in the same category as "strip club entertainment", and in my opinion, is pretty unfortunate. A lot of women put a lot of time and money to make the costume for it only be seen as a 100% "sex oriented" costume.

I'm cool with the overall feeling towards this particular costume, and won't debate it's appropriateness anymore. However I am still interested what current approved Slave Leias count as their "official troops" to remain as an active costume.

Nomad Angie (Angie Rivera)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it all depends on location, type of event and weather factors. These are instances in which I've worn my Slave Leia costume without people making a big deal of it:

-Sporting events
-Conventions
-Parades (depending on who organizes it)
-Charity events in which Slave Leia is approved by the event host
-TV news spots promoting events where our groups will be present

Hope this helps.
Base Membership Officer 2017
Princess Liz Fett (Liz Welsh)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I totally understand not having a Slave Leia walking through a cancer ward at a hospital for sick children, but walking in a fourth of July Parade is off limits? What confuses me is Return of the Jedi was a PG film, if kids watched it, they would see the same thing.

AGREED 100%.

Slave Leia is my favorite costume to wear, and by far the one that I have invested the most time, research, work, and money into. (Also blood, sweat, and tears. The blood came from pricking my fingers with copper wiring lol.)

I live in North Carolina, which is in the bible-belt, so most event hosts here are very strict and conservative when it comes to events. For example, there was one event that a friend and myself had to change our costume options for, which were Ceremonial Leia and Juno Eclipse. We could not wear these costumes because of the minimal, but existing cleavage that they show. That just goes to show how strict the event hosts are down here. Nothing wrong with that, but that's just how strict these events can be.

I agree that a Children's Hospital or library event isn't really the best type of event for Slave Leia..but I think that parades, conventions, and sporting events are ok for it (just my personal opinion.)

Although, where I reside, Slave Leia is only allowed at conventions. Parades and sporting events are out of the question just as local children's events are.

I really wish people would realize that this costume is beautiful, empowering, and from a PG rated movie.

I also wear underwear every time I wear this costume (strapless adhesive panties.) Whereas Carrie Fisher did not wear any while filming.

So really when it all comes down to it, it really depends on the event host.
Rebel Legion Costumer of the Year 2013
Nomad Angie (Angie Rivera)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But but but...

Ceremonial Leia BARELY HAS CLEAVAGE!!!

I have the same problem, but I live in Mormonland, which is the Southwest version of the bible belt.
Base Membership Officer 2017
Princess Liz Fett (Liz Welsh)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nomad Angie wrote:
But but but...

Ceremonial Leia BARELY HAS CLEAVAGE!!!

LOL, I know!!

Well, the troop was at an elementary school for their star wars themed concert, so I can understand (kind of..)
Rebel Legion Costumer of the Year 2013
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: