Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5d9285a3a6717dca8094ec2b176a4e0dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Building Hoth footwear/Rebel Commander "hero" boot
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Empire Strikes Back
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TKvanB (Kathy van Beuningen)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I finished hand-sewing the inside of the bias tape onto the boot shafts, I top-stitched the edge from the outside. This way it is really even all the way around.

Then I pressed the bias tape all the way around the edges, so it would lie flat with out creases or puckering.

Then I fit the pieces back together onto the base boots. This is how they go together.

The back part of the boot will need to fit to the toe very snugly. I put small pencil marks where the piece fits at the top of the instep part.

This is where the over lap is........

I want this to line up exactly at the bottom edges of both the front and the back and on both sides of each boot. I pinned this all in place directly on the base boots to make sure that they fit.

Then I slid the base boots out. The boot (cover) now stands up completely on it's own! Smile

Here is what it looks like on the inside, underneath, pinned together.

Then I sewed the pieces together at the bottom edges and up the side of the instep.

I made sure to stitch over the stress points several times so that this will not come apart.

Here are both boot covers, now sewn together. I pressed the pieces again and pressed some hook velcro..........

Which I then sewed onto either side of the top of the tongue pieces of both boots. I did this now, because it would be much more difficult to do this later. These pieces of velcro will keep the boot tongues in place and not let them slide around or fall down inside the boots once they are on.

Then I made 2 small straps of fabric using some scraps from the fabric I used for my Hoth Rebel Trooper gaiters. It is a tan upholstery material that is nearly identical in color to the bottoms of the base boots. I made tubes, then turned & pressed the tubes and added some reinforcing stitching. These will become stirrups.

I put the covers back onto the base boots so that I could mark exactly where I should sew these pieces. I want them to fit the base boots very snugly.

Here is one of the stirrup straps sewn onto the boot covers (bottom view)

I slid the covers back onto the base boots to make sure that they would work. This is what I needed to make certain would work, that the laces of the base boot would be accessible.

This is a side view of the cover in place on the boot.

It fits so snugly that I can pick up the entire boot by the cover and everything stays on and together.

Here are both boots, covers in place.....

another view.......

Now onto the "Shoe-Goo" I started at the back of each boot, making sure that I put the goo along the bottom edge. I worked my way around to each side, adding more goo. I ended in the front where I had the toe pieces pulled back over the boots so I could get the goo underneath.

Here are the boots all "gooed" in place. If any part of the boot covers ever come loose, a little "Shoe-Goo" will put it back. However, I doubt that there will be any major 'costume malfunctions' with these, since the entire boot cover itself is load-bearing. It's not just going to come off spontaneously.

And the final test, can I access the laces to the boots underneath? Yes I can!
I then put some rubber bands around the boots so that the Shoe-Goo will set up better & tighter. Now they need to dry.

They are done!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. How to make this project easier to build (for future reference)

The first thing that would make this easier to do is by having an easier base boot. What I mean by that is that an under-boot / base boot that you build these on would be much easier to deal with if you do not need to lace those up. That way, the boot cover could be made to fit more tightly to the base boot.
I used (fake / knock-off) "UGG" style boots for my HTT and that resolved a LOAD of issues!
The "hero-style" Hoth boot could easily be build on an "UGG-style" base boot because the tongue would not need to be functional. It would only need to "look" functional.
"UUG-style" boots also have padding and the shaft of the boot is a lot taller than a hiking boot. I only needed to build my HTT gaiters about 2" - 3" taller then the top of the UGG-like boots and all I did to compensate for the difference is by adding a 3" interfaced facing to the indies of the tops of those boot covers.

These are the "UGG" knock-offs that I used for my HTT boots.

This is what the covers I made look like on those boots.

Here is what they looked like after I finished building the toes. This is right after I gooped them onto the boot toes. (that is why there are rubber bands on them)

Side view.

Another thing that might make these easier to build is the type of fabric.
It would be a lot easier to use a fabric that has more flexibility, or 'give' to it. I am not sure exactly what the best type would be right now, but I know that would be very beneficial.

I was thinking about using a wool felt when I was figuring out how to build the covers for me. The only reason that I did not use wool felt, is that the (tan) color was much too dark.
I think that wool felt might be able to be 'shaped', especially in the toe of the boot. Wool felt may need some interfacing, or maybe not. It is fairly stiff.
Some time I will try out my theories about wool felt.
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 18 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply amazing!!

The one thing about the lace up boot that Steve bought is the side zipper....which I do have on my HTT boots....it allows you to never have to mess with the laces down near the toe and just use the side zipper and the upper laces....

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you thank you! this will be a summer project for me for my Snowspeeder pilot.

In a lot of ways this is how I may my ATAT driver boots, and my Tusken boots, that have functional side zips and wraps to hide it.

thanks again for a simply brilliant tutorial!

NCOIC, "GUNNY" Marine Detachment Barbarossa
jasonh1234 (Jay)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKvanB wrote:

I'd loved to see those but with a faked "hero tongue"

I'm selling Hoth Rebel patches here on Etsy.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jasonh1234 wrote:
TKvanB wrote:

I'd loved to see those but with a faked "hero tongue"

Jason, I would build them more like how I did the Hero-style boots, but sew the tonge in place at the sides so that the boots would slip on, like these do.
Crix (Thomas Turner)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is my attempt at TKvanB boots.... keep in mind I have no idea what I am doing, just kinda winging it.

found a pair of uggs size 13 which make them size 11 in mens.

trying to get a feel for it

trying to make a pattern out of newspaper

test fitting

pinning

thrown in the sewing machine..

calling it done I guess...

CO: OUTLAW SQUADRON - OUTLAW 13
CO of The 'Verse (firefly/Serenity costume club)
SL/TK/IC 4913 of the 501st
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look like they will work Crix! Smile
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 18 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicely done Crix...
these are not easy....
and you look like you did a good job...

see ya Saturday...
Wink

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Caileen Tauren (Erin Blank)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for these posts! I'm making a HTT for my kiddo today.
RebelLady (Kristina Gundersen)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! I found a background shot of a General Rieekan style officer wearing these, btw. So they are good for that style of commander as well as the troopers for sure. Smile

Sunrider Base Charity Officer 2016-18
-------------------------------------------------------
Mon Mothma, OT X-Wing Pilot, Willrow Hood, Resistance Officer, General Leia Organa (Raddus Bridge)
jasonh1234 (Jay)

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKvanB, Are you selling ready made boots?

I'm selling Hoth Rebel patches here on Etsy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Empire Strikes Back All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: