Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e6025bb74f04ad3b09050d82167f8cb9Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Hair for Slave Leia Standard Clarification

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rahrah ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: Hair for Slave Leia Standard Clarification Reply with quote

Please forgive me if this has already been touched on, but I have searched through the posts and I am currently stuck in regards to part of my slave Leia costume. I know the standards say not to use wigs or hairpieces, however my problem is that my hair is very short. Does anyone have any advice out there on how I can meet the standards in regards the hair style for slave Leia? I am buying my bikini from Leia's Metal Bikini after seeing his work at Mega*Con this year, so I have all the required pieces just stuck about the hair part.

I've heard some people say that they don't even bother with the hair, but just go with their natural style but if I read the standards right I don't think that applies, so any clarification would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
LeiaYT1300 (Beret Balestrieri Kohn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order for your Slave Leia costume to meet the standards, you must have a large bun at the crown of your head and one long braid descending out from beneath the bun, along with the required gold plates flanking the bun and the gold claw-shaped clasp at the bottom of the braid.

But there is nothing in the standards that says you cannot use a wig or hairpiece to achieve that, as long as the large bun and long braid are there and the entire hairstyle is nicely made up and clearly defined. Many of the girls in the RL with Slave Leia costumes use false buns and false long braids. I myself, even with hair that ends past my bum, use an extra fall of hair for the bun since I use all my own hair for the thick long braid.

The only restrictions are that you may not have bangs over your forehead and your hair must be a natural haircolor. This means that your hair must be entirely pulled back so if you have bangs you must slick them back with hairspray or gel or somehow pin them back using plain bobby pins that blend with your haircolor, and you can't have a wild color of hair such as blue or pink - it must be a haircolor that occurs naturally such as brown or blond.

If your hair is really short, I would recommend purchasing a wig with long straight hair and no bangs that you can style, along with an additional length of hair for the bun. Also, it helps to either have a friend help you style it while you're wearing it or vice versa (your friend wears the wig and you style it).

I would then gather the wig hair using an elastic hairband into a ponytail as high as you can go without revealing the wig netting base and braid it down. Then take the extra length of hair, twist it into a bun and secure it to the wig with bobby pins, tucking the very top of the braid beneath the bottom of the bun to hide the hairband. You can even sew it down more permanently with clear thread which can be purchased at any fabric store. Then add the gold plates, one on each side (the ones from Leia's Metal Bikini come with very nice, secure clips attached), and then add the gold clasp to the bottom of the braid.

I hope the above helps! Smile

Costume Portfolio
rahrah ()

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it does very much, thank you for clarifying for me and the advice!
neimhaille ()
Naboo Outpost CO
Naboo Outpost CO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it helps I have a quick how to for my Leia buns wig, but the principle could be adapted to altering a wig to have a ponytail:
http://articles.glittersweet.com
I would simply add a few more rows to the inside of the wig (especially the underside) and omit the vertical rows (which are used for a part) just fill in the back of the wig some more.
You will need a polystyrene head and pins to secure the cap in place as you style. I'd be happy to expound further if it will help, but too much text in one go can be overkill Wink

I am going to have to do something similar very soon for a Darth Maladi wig, so I have been thinking of this lately Smile
Nomad Angie (Angie Rivera)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about highlighted hair, like blond or natural red highlights? Of course, considering that they blend naturally with the hair.
RebelSenator ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nomad Angie wrote:
What about highlighted hair, like blond or natural red highlights? Of course, considering that they blend naturally with the hair.

natural highlights are acceptable.
Princess Liz Fett (Liz Welsh)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, natural highlights should be fine. As long as your hair colors are naturally occurring shades like blonde, brown, red, black, etc, Smile

I agree with Beret also, I myself use a false braided bun and then use my natural hair for my braid. Many women use false hair pieces and they are perfectly acceptable Smile just as long as they form the large bun at the crown of the head and the long braid descending.
Rebel Legion Costumer of the Year 2013
Nomad Angie (Angie Rivera)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarifications, Raychel and Liz :-D
MCubed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have red hair and I bought fake hair because my hair is VERY thin and it works great, you can't even tell it's fake and was approved long ago Smile

https://www.facebook.com/cubedm
StarSkywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the bun have to be a braided bun?

Cindy
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the bun is not braided. Smile

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
Princess Liz Fett (Liz Welsh)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bun looks more twisted in the reference images Smile our standards do allow for it to be twisted or braided.
Rebel Legion Costumer of the Year 2013
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: