Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b90b23bd9285d8e484e2f05e64234b3cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Mon Mothma almost done!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Rebel Command Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lolkje (Laura Langland)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:20 am    Post subject: Mon Mothma almost done! Reply with quote

My wig arrived today, so now I just have a couple more details to obsess about before submitting for approval. Here's what I have so far.

The old-bedsheet muslin with medallion:
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww225/Laura_Langland/Mon%20Mothma/MM%20Muslin_zpsutocvtha.jpg

Close-up of the medallion in progress. I am pretty convinced that the original was woven from thin braided cord (white, gray, copper) as seen in a close-up of the screen cap. I spent two and a half hours of trial and error weaving before I liked the look:
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww225/Laura_Langland/Mon%20Mothma/MM%20Medallion_zpsvjaxlkeo.jpg

The nearly-finished cording with a real silver chain braided through for bling. I know I'm still missing the cord across the back:
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww225/Laura_Langland/Mon%20Mothma/MM%20Cording%20Front_zpsyefxu6mt.jpg

The back of the cording, showing hand-stiching to heavy-duty interfacing with snaps for removability:
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww225/Laura_Langland/Mon%20Mothma/MM%20Cording%20Back_zpsr3zfetza.jpg

Close-up of shoulder coil:
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww225/Laura_Langland/Mon%20Mothma/MM%20Coil_zpsnuuhilfb.jpg

Nearly finished under suit (yoryu chiffon with polyester lining):
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww225/Laura_Langland/Mon%20Mothma/MM%20Undersuit_zpsh5qmq5an.jpg

Nearly finished tunic (lined cotton gauze, before hand-stiching the shoulder coils):
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww225/Laura_Langland/Mon%20Mothma/MM%20Tunic_zpsjngsyk6x.jpg

Good enough to wear to SWCA for fun. The tacked tunic arm pleats are anchored to the under suit sleeves with removable hooks. Pre-hemming:
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww225/Laura_Langland/Mon%20Mothma/MM%20Pre%20Hem_zpsqmrhrrji.jpg

I wore it with a half-finished ankle-length hem to SWCA a couple of weeks ago. I knew there would be some fraying, but I didn't care. I had a blast!

I just need to sew on the back cord, tie up some loose ends, and figure out my wig before official submission for approval. If I'm feeling really detail-obsessed someday, I'll redo the shoulder coils with smaller buttons, and move the center medallion closer to the neckline.
Landeaux (Paul Land)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to seeing your costume finished and in the queue. We met at SWCA and I thought then that you just needed some touch up work. I enjoyed talking to you about about your costume.
Lolkje (Laura Langland)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul! I enjoyed meeting you too.
Granny-Wan (Marie Cannon)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I saw you at Celebration. I thought the side seams of your tunic needed to be sewn up, but I could be wrong, it might not have been you and they might have been OK. I wasn't taking a close look. In any case, make sure they're sewn. Wink

The shoulder parts of your necklace are off. If you look closely at this photo, there should be more than one round of cording and the center button is small.

The pendant is not made from wires. It is a sold, sculpted disk, described as "an organic greeblie". I know it's hard to see in the screenshots, but it's definitely a solid piece.

Base on these pictures, I suggest a good ironing before taking your final submission shots. Don't forget to show us your shoes, Mon Mothma would never be barefoot. Very Happy
Lolkje (Laura Langland)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the feedback. I really am trying to be as screen accurate as possible for the overall look. It's just difficult with the lack of close-ups in the book.

Fair enough on the shoulder buttons. It was a quick job before the con and I wasn't really satisfied with it anyway. The reference pic looks like they're almost gold donut-shaped buttons with coppery pearls in the middle. Would that be OK?

I have a few questions:
In your PhotoBucket reference pic for the standard, I clearly see at least three strands of cord between the center medallion and the shoulders (white, gold, silver, and maybe a dark copper). Your written standard says two. Would something like the braids I already have be OK?

Which side seams are you referring to that need to be sewn up? Seams running from the shoulders to the wrists, or the seams below the wrists that would turn my poncho into sleeves? The former is a simple adjustment that I'm happy to make. Shoulder seams are visible above the sleeves, but not written in the standard. Requiring sleeves instead of a poncho would require a complete redesign.

I appreciate all the effort that past Mon Mothmas put into hand-sculping their silver medallions to look like up-side down trees, which is what it looked like on video. But the center medallion doesn't look solid silver to me at all in your reference pic. I see at least three colors very similar to the cords it's hung from. Wookieepedia has a really good screen cap from a slightly different angle (be sure to zoom in completely, it's big).

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070615234013/starwars/images/4/46/Monmothma.jpg

The colors are much clearer, as are other textures such as holes, shadows, and overlaps. I used Wookieepedia's pic as my reference for the medallion before my copy of the book arrived.

Sorry if I sound like a pain trying to advocate for my medallion. I just put a lot of research and effort into my interpretation as well.
Granny-Wan (Marie Cannon)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lolkje wrote:
Thank you for the feedback. I really am trying to be as screen accurate as possible for the overall look. It's just difficult with the lack of close-ups in the book.

Fair enough on the shoulder buttons. It was a quick job before the con and I wasn't really satisfied with it anyway. The reference pic looks like they're almost gold donut-shaped buttons with coppery pearls in the middle. Would that be OK?

That sounds good, do you have a picture? There shouldn't be to much difference in the colors. They're all sort of metallic, which makes it hard to see exact colors in a picture.

Lolkje wrote:
I have a few questions:
In your PhotoBucket reference pic for the standard, I clearly see at least three strands of cord between the center medallion and the shoulders (white, gold, silver, and maybe a dark copper). Your written standard says two. Would something like the braids I already have be OK?

Yes, your center cord looks nice! I swear that's the hardest part. Confused

Lolkje wrote:
Which side seams are you referring to that need to be sewn up? Seams running from the shoulders to the wrists, or the seams below the wrists that would turn my poncho into sleeves? The former is a simple adjustment that I'm happy to make. Shoulder seams are visible above the sleeves, but not written in the standard. Requiring sleeves instead of a poncho would require a complete redesign.

The standard clearly states: "1. Ivory or cream colored tunic made from a soft, natural fabric, with a jewel-neck collar and wide, loose fitting sleeves. " ie, a tunic with sleeves. It is not a poncho, and that won't be accepted.

Lolkje wrote:
I appreciate all the effort that past Mon Mothmas put into hand-sculping their silver medallions to look like up-side down trees, which is what it looked like on video. But the center medallion doesn't look solid silver to me at all in your reference pic. I see at least three colors very similar to the cords it's hung from. Wookieepedia has a really good screen cap from a slightly different angle (be sure to zoom in completely, it's big).

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070615234013/starwars/images/4/46/Monmothma.jpg

The colors are much clearer, as are other textures such as holes, shadows, and overlaps. I used Wookieepedia's pic as my reference for the medallion before my copy of the book arrived.

Sorry if I sound like a pain trying to advocate for my medallion. I just put a lot of research and effort into my interpretation as well.

From looking at several screen caps and the costume book, It's pretty clear that it is solid. The center areas may appear open in some shots, but in the majority they are solid, and the outside edges always appear solid and smooth. The wrapped wires are not going to pass.

I'm sorry if you spent a lot of time on it, but that can't be a factor in judging it. It's appearance is what matters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Commanders -> Rebel Command Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: