Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e994a37c850a8418a3a8c1631914f7c1Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Duchess Satine Ceremonial Robes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Other Dignitaries
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PernillaPalpatine (Lisa Klassen)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:45 am    Post subject: Duchess Satine Ceremonial Robes Reply with quote

For my big Celebration costume, I've decided to make Satine's ceremonial robes. I've submitted an application for a spot in the costume pageant. I don't know if I'll get it, but if I do I don't want to post many photos of the costume here until after the event. Although I will be keeping detailed notes and taking photos as I go along as I do want to apply for RL membership with this costume.

Just as a refresher, here's the costume...

I've already bought the three main fabrics....

I was very happy to find the navy fabric as it was a good match and affordable. The other two fabrics were found at a place that sells fabric by the pound, so that also helped. I know that there will be things that will make this costume expensive (the headdress), so saving every little bit helps.

I still need to find the light blue color for the front 'petal' with the tassels on it.

Some of the techniques I'm going to use for this costume: trapunto, discharge dying, embroidery, casting, making things with resin (other than a stinky mess, lol!), etc. I'm also going to be playing around with some techniques used by Channel to give garments specific movement.

I'm working on figuring out all of the various parts of the costume. I've spent a few hours taking screen from season two ('Voyage of Temptation' and 'Duchess of Mandalore' as well as 'Creating Mandalore') and I have yet to get to season five.

I'm drafting all of the patterns myself and right now the navy piece is up being tested on my dress form. I'm also making a waist cincher to help with the shape and to hold up the weight of the skirts as the turquoise fabric is heavy, being a rayon blend.

Here we go!
Lauphen_Staar (Emma)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh, this is going to be awesome on a real person!! Good luck! Amadalia
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very interested in seeing this done, and I do hope you'll post a lot of progress pics, even if you don't want to post finished images until after Celebration. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I went in search of that light blue fabric and found some with a 'satine' sheen. Lol. I wanted to find something with a pattern, but there was nothing that would work. I also bought some more supplies: embroidery floss, a few beads, metallic thread, tulle and batting. I'm hoping to get the navy outer robe done this weekend.

By the weekend after next, I'm hoping to have the turquoise robes done.

I still need to find some sort of footwear. It looks like she wears boots. I'll also need a wig and probably some extra wefts to hide the under structure of the the headdress. I'm also thinking about making her small blaster, but only if I can figure out how to carry it.

For the record, I know of two people who've made this costume and one of them is in the RL, so sadly I wouldn't be the first to do it, but I like big crazy costumes, so yeah... : )

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent my form in to the Celebration masquerade, heard back from them last Friday, they told me that they needed different/more pics, so I sent them this and now I've been told to wait again. They're supposed to get back to me next week. I'm trying to stay positive, but I don't think that this is a good sign. Neutral I know this is probably really trivial in the grand scheme of things, but I want to compete. This will most likely be my only chance to do so this year and I haven't been able to go to a con for the past five years.

I'm working my butt off and I'm not going to quit even though things have not been going well. I cut out all of the parts of the blue robe and made the trapunto pieces just like I've done for tons of my art quilts. The trapunto technique however, didn't make the little 'petals' on the top pop. They just blended in to the fabric. This is really where I think it's important to make wise decisions in interpreting the fabric of CG rendered characters. I think maybe the brocade is a little too busy for this, even though it is a good match to the renderings. Perhaps a smaller print would have been better or no print at all. I did some testing and tried putting piping in between the petals. That will work. It's not the silhouette I wanted, but it's what I can work with.

I did finish the light blue parts of the skirt. That's ready for the tassels. I cut out the purple turtleneck and sewed it with my serger and that went relatively well. I still need to do the arms, neck and bracers. For the bracers I'm going to reinforce them with something like canvas and then sew them into the sleeve. I'm hoping the top and bottom parts will work for this. Tonight, I spent some time figuring out the pattern on the top and bottom of the bracers and then practiced painting it onto the purple fabric with bleach. I think I have it down, but I need to find a better substance to thicken it with. Water makes the solution too runny and the bleach by itself takes away too much color. I think hair gel might work.

Here are a few photos. I've been taking a lot of them to help me see what design choices work best. And that's how I found out the trapunto didn't work out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my... I'm having so much self doubt and difficulty right now. Not necessarily with the costume, just myself. Neutral

The petal re-do worked out well. I want to get the skirt part done today. More pics soon.
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've taken on a very tough costume, but I love the materials you've chosen for it. I look forward to seeing more progress.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are going a lot better. Thanks for the nice words. Smile I'm working on the turquoise robe now. Going to fit the mock up tonight. I did end up getting into the costume competition and I'm stoked! It's quite a good boost as I tackle this! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here is the pictorial story of the skirt.

So in the left top photo are all of the petals I cut out and serged together. There's a layer of tulle, polyester batting and then fashion fabric. I turned it inside out to get this cool 3-D puffy piece. I sewed them on to the skirt tops, but as you can see... there's nothing to see. Back to the drawing board. Let's use some navy satin to make piping. Ah, now you can see it. And in the lower right is the under skirt with the tassels that need to be tamed with some hairspray perhaps?

Here is what the assembled 'petal' pieces will look like. They are fully lined. However, the navy fabric is slightly stretchy and doesn't hang like I want it to. Solution: bought six large washers to weigh down the edges. I have a underbust corset I need to wear to fit the waistband and place the pieces, but I'm lazy and haven't put it on yet. :p

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my pain condition was acting up yesterday and I decided it would be a good idea to start playing with the resin. I wanted to mix in some clear iridescent cellophane glitter and a bit of blue nail polish into some clear resin to create the opalescent gem look. Unfortunately, for some reason, the resin isn't clear. It has a yellow tint. So the first run of gems turned out green. But the glitter effect is great! If I can only find clear resin...

The resin mix in a silicone ice cube mold. Those work well.

1. About 1/4 full, resin is more clear.
2. Turquoise/green resin mix in silicone mold.
3. Silicone mold completely full, resin is a dark yellow color.
4. Turquoise/green gem made with the bottom of a soda can. The size is actually pretty good for the headdress, I love the glitter.
5. No color, bottom of soda can.

Here's my attempt at trying to make a silicone mold. It didn't work. Lesson--just because you've seen it done a gazillion times on SyFy's Face Off, doesn't mean you can actually pull it off. I think I need to look at my books and check the RPF.

Also wear gloves. Don't get over excited like me and not wear them and then have to wash your hands in acetone like five times...
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creative use of ice cube forms. Very Happy

I also liked your result and the detailed explanations. Perhaps you'd want to polish off the date stamp that transferred from the soda can. Wink

Keep going!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I noticed the date stamp and got it off for the second (not green) one. I have shoes painted, a wig ordered, the top skirts done and the bottom turquoise ones ready but I'm going to embroider them. I've realized that while they look like they're one piece, the skirts have to be separate from the top as none of the seams line up. But this is ok as the belt will hide it. I also found clear resin. And the purple top is coming along.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I did finish the costume in time, but the headdress just didn't work out. I could get it to sit on my head or the wig, so I had to drop out of the competition. I was really disappointed, but the reality was that there were a lot of things I needed to improve. The soft parts worked out fine but the belt and other hard parts of the costume need improvement. And I won't go out with something that doesn't look great. I really need more practice with casting.

I have lots of pics to post, even though my camera broke halfway through. It still works, but the view screen broke. I'm also working on standards for this costume based on my work list.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad it didn't work out properly, but then you got it tested. I look forward to seeing the pictures of it. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I feel bad that I have so much done and yet I don't want to finish this costume... *big sigh* I guess I've learned the hard way not to make a costume unless you're 150% in love with it. I think I will finish this costume... eventually.

Unfortunately this means that I will have to get new turquoise skirt fabric because I need to re-make the top and it needs to match the fabric on the bottom. I may need more blue fabric. I also needs some new way to make the headdress, something not heavy. I'm taking some classes at the end of the month in making stuff with Worbla, sintra and casting. Maybe I will come up with some new ideas. One of the classes is about casting resin. Hopefully that will help me improve my casting skills...

I also have an Agent Kallus costume to work on for my husband. That's a lot of work... But at least not too out of my skill range.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Other Dignitaries All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: