Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=41033ab28948867ab6f4acbc0c1d42f3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Trailer 2 Rey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis Saunders)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:30 am    Post subject: Trailer 2 Rey Reply with quote

So I've been sitting on these progress photos for NDA reasons, but now I just really, really want to share my Rey costume now that I'm back from the con and have a functional wireless connection again.

First: progress! I didn't take a lot of photos, since I knew I was cheating some things, and others were inaccurate for lack of clear reference, but "good enough for Celebration" became my mantra towards the end.

The materials I chose (which were in the neighborhood of being right) were raw silk for the tunic and arm wraps, cotton crinkle gauze for the tabbards, and bamboo rayon for the pants. All of the above had to be custom dyed, and unfortunately the brown dye didn't end up taking on my pants at all, so fortunately I had some linen in my stash that was exactly the color I was trying to achieve. It was good enough for the con, but the linen ended up being really scratchy as the day wore on, so I don't really recommend it.

That pouch isn't exactly what I wanted, but it's close. The reference I have is a little different than the exhibit pouch, and I can't really prove it and keep my job, but I guess I'll just say trust me on this one? I'd like one that's a little more tan than green, but time was short and I wanted SOMETHING there. Also, it was FANTASTIC to have at the con. Best costume accessory everrrrr. The proportion is of a gas mask bag, which is exactly what I got. This one is probably about three inches longer than I'd like, and the flap shape is a little off, but overall not bad.

Progress there is displayed with my Zayne Carrick belt, since it has about the same shape.

Boots! These were definitely just placeholders for this con, a relatively cheap eBay find that I shortened to the correct length. I talked with the Rey girls working with the Belgians on the speeder and got some good boot tips, and as it turns out they're about the same shape as my Katara boots, so Katara may have boots like Rey's going forward, hahaha. Just need to get myself some basket weave fabric.

The arm wraps I 100% totally cheated. They're clearly wrapped all the way around, like one would probably expect, but I didn't have that much time to make bias tape that long out of my leftover raw silk. I did have enough time to cut a bunch of shorter bias strips though, and attach them to arm bands that have a giant honking seam up the side. Version two will include wraps that I actually have to wrap, haha.

The pants were directly patterned off an old pair of pajama pants that I'd ripped and couldn't wear anymore. That made me sad, as they were my favourite pajama pants, but this gave them new life and they were pretty much as comfortable as I remembered (linen aside, which again, bad fabric choice). I extended the top up, added a drawstring waist, and cuffed the pants below the knee. Side note: I forgot to bring the drawstring when I packed, so my pants were held up only with the back of a name tag pin that we found on the queue floor in the overnight line. Good times!

The belt I only sort of had a good look at. Now that I've had a good look at the exhibit, I have a much better idea of how to make it, but this was my "good enough for Celebration" solution, involving two cut strips of leather, a side panel, and industrial velcro.

I didn't take any photos of my wristguard, but that's fine, as it's also in the "good enough" camp. I was basing my shapes off of two frames that weren't motion blurred in the reference available to me (not gonna lie, that close up of it in the trailer made me think, "oh right don't give me THAT shot," but since I got the back I guess I can't complain that much).

Now, on to the photos I got!

Photo by Jenna (SongofAmazon) by the back fountain.

From the RL photo booth! That was a well-run and super cool part of the booth, so kudos to the team that made it happen.

This one is with Sunrider's temple photo- I call it my "Don't know if Jedi?" pose.

With Jeff, our local Han who made a Han costume based off some leaked concept art.

With one of the Reys working at the Belgians' booth- we fangirled each other's costumes and traded construction tips and nerded out over the exhibit.

Speaking of the Belgians, they made my day by letting me ACTUALLY RIDE THE SPEEDER OMG. I walked up to stand in front of it like a good congoer who doesn't demand things, and they said "NO. YOU HAVE THE COSTUME, YOU MUST RIDE."

And finally, possibly the best photo I had at the con, and I have to thank Dawn (Amidalas) for being bold enough to ask for a selfiie, and kind enough to let me stick my head in:

Meeting J.J. Abrams and shaking his hand while dressed as Rey may not be the greatest moment of my life, but it is pretty high up there.

In any case, I'll be starting over mostly from scratch with completely different materials, but armed with all my new reference I AM UNSTOPPABLE!!!! Still definitely riding on the con high, but I am very pleased with how this costume came out, inaccuracies and all.

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Celestia Delegation Leader
Femakin (Andrea Darling)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate you a tiny bit. XD

but seriously, your costume looks FANTASTIC, even for just a "good enough for the con" costume! Do share your revamped construction tips, because this costume's also on my never-ending bucket list (AFTER I finish Atton. Like I've been saying for the last year...). Very Happy
Keldae Cosplay
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, thanks! I do like it a lot, I just know I can get waaaay better from here. Mr. Green

Okay, so today I started ordering fabrics for the transition into v2.0, and went over my reference again, and had an epiphany.

You can kind of see it here: look at her armpit. You can see a line coming up from under it, and the fabric below is a substantially different color from the fabric above. Checking with my other reference confirms: there are two layers to this top. The under layer appears to be a very light cotton, and the outer layer is that cotton/hemp blend that the exhibit talks about. So my best guess, based on what I've seen, is a little something like this:

I ordered a heavy cotton gauze for the arm wraps, and I'm glad I ordered extra because I noticed this detail afterwards and I think the arm wraps and the undershirt are probably made of the same/similar fabrics. I think the gauze will do nicely. I also ordered the cotton/hemp jersey for the knit tunic. I have yet to decide what viscose will be best for the tabbards, but my cotton gauze ones are, in the interim, pretty close. I just need to stitch them together to make the loop on the bottom.

Pants I'm still debating on fabric. A lot of people went straight for raw silk, but having seen the originals, I don't think that's right. Raw silk, especially after you dye it, has a slubbiness to it that her pants just don't have. I grabbed a swatch of silk broadcloth from Dharma while I was ordering, though. I'll also take a look to see if I can find anything I like in the fashion district this weekend, as I'm going down there to see if I can find some boot fabric I like. Kylo Ren's basket weave was available there, so I have to believe I can find a good wool to recover some boots.

ALL THE FABRIC! So excited to make v2.0.

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awwww yiss boot fabric! I was not personally successful in the fashion district, but I think this is because Dawn bought out all the basket weave when she went shopping for Kylo Ren. Fortunately, she was kind enough to part with her leftovers, and I think with a bit of dye and dirtying this will be perfection. Mr. Green

I'm just about ready to really get moving on the upgrade... I have heavy gauze for the undershirt/possibly also the arm wraps, cotton/hemp jersey for the tunic, and a really gorgeous silk crepe for the pants. That one made my wallet weep a bit, but it's so much more accurate in texture than raw silk, and has such beautiful weight and drape. Maybe I'll even get some dye tests done this weekend!

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)
Assistant Membership Officer
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 3 (View more...)

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always happy to help Lisa! Cant wait to see it done

:love: -Kylo Amadalia Amadalia Amadalia

LMO 501st Legion
ALMO Rebel Legion
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had some time to sew yesterday, so I got to work on the cotton undertunic I noted above. There are no visible seams in the costume, but my theory is thus: since there are two shirts, I can have all the seams I want as long as the second shirt covers all the seams for the undershirt. So my focus on this was making it as fitted as possible, so that it doesn't show underneath the outer tunic. I also only made it waist length, because I live in California and it gets hot out here, haha.

This is what it looks like pre-weathering. I'm really happy with how the front placket looks, as well as the cap sleeves. The wrinkles are from pre-washing and only halfheartedly pressing it back, and they match my reference pretty well, giving her a nicely worn, lived-in look.

My current plan is to do the weathering by airbrushing and painting, as I want pretty fine control over how that happens. I also definitely need to bring it down from being bright white, but haven't decided if that will be purely through weathering, or if I'll hit it with an extremely light dye bath. This costume's colors are somewhat frustrating, since it looks a little different under every different lighting condition- since they're neutrals, they pick up everything. I'm inclined to dip it in the lightest of tan baths, but I'll have to test that pretty heavily before committing it to the undertunic- version 1 went a little too tan, and that didn't read quite right. But with a really fine dye bath and some weathering, I think that will work nicely.

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw these boots. They look accurate. Not sure if you've changed yours since the ones you had at Celebration:

http://po-zu.com/products/piper-v-dark-brown-pre-order

http://endorbase.org/

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
http://endorbase.org/members.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DLarianFerrel ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a post on her FB that said she got a pair of them. I can't wait to see what she does with this costume.
stardancer1914 (Star Dancer)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an FYI for the time being Rey is being judged by the rebel supporter judging team. There are some suggested guidelines for Rey in that forum.

• United Citizens of the Galactic Republic DCO 2016 to present
  • MEB Membership Officer
  • Temple Master Tosche Temple Oct 2018 to present
  • UCGR - DXO 2015
  • Legion Costume Judge - Jedi & Rebel Supporters 2015 to 2017
  • Mos Eisley Base - Grand Canyon State
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: