Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=90e1fec73221cbec4eef35bdba9b2463Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Obi Wan ROTS wip
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JOSEE EROKI ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:12 am    Post subject: Obi Wan ROTS wip Reply with quote

So Ive been working on this since oct-nov when I secured premiere night tickets to star wars whoop whoop, Ive always wanted to do obi wan since I was in middle school, figured I would bite the bullet and finally do it. With no shave November in swing it gave me the excuse to grow out my beard

For the tunic I reached out to Saint Customs as they had done a gorgeous set before and ordered it from them. While that was being built I switched gears to doing the belt. Ive decently versed in leather working and done various projects in the past so it was off to tandy to pick up supplies. Thanks to some members here for the tutorials and a basis to go off for this part.

broke down and distressed the veg tan and then slicked and also beveled the edge with a number 3

beveled edge

stitched the inner belt to the end and also added the loops

buckle was acquired from Saberbelt.com

installed the stud posts and then shifted gears and moved on to the pouch

used 6/7 oz leather I had gotten a while back

molded and formed the pieces

finished base belt and pouch

for the boots I have two sets, one is from ebay asian knock off boots I hate the color though

ended up ordering some frye boots instead

about a 1.5 inch difference in height the fryes sit around 14.5 inches while the faux leather boots are 16 inches in height.

Ill be ordering some better boots come next summer.

saber is from ultra saber although I will be getting a resin cast hilt for a static belt prop

the food pouches were picked up from ebay, I have those nasty pouches aswell. I know they arent SA at alllll lol. I think the back pouch with the gold button is the only thing that looks okay so I might try to make both the tall and small pouches out of foam tonight so hopefully those will pass judging im pretty good at foam work.

I got the pics from saint customs earlier today and the outfit is in transit.

thats pretty much for now, Ill post pics of the pouches as soon as those are done. any question comments hit me back this is my first cosplay in the star wars fandom Ive done many other genres in the past so under the time crunch of literally a 2 month build I know there are aspects I can change but for the time Im proud that I was able to accomplish this much.

cheers
happy holidays
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice progress. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

love the belt. very nice work. but the 'distressed' ripples are only seen on anakin's belt; not obi-wan's (d'oh!)

either way, really nice work.

-==-

here are some screenshots of Obi-wan's belt:

I realize there is a photo of these "distressed ripples" in the Obi-wan reference photos for Rebel Legion.
(I suspect this is Roger's belt ; not Obi-wan's) Wink cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt-60 wrote:
love the belt. very nice work. but the 'distressed' ripples are only seen on anakin's belt; not obi-wan's (d'oh!)

either way, really nice work.

-==-

here are some screenshots of Obi-wan's belt:

I realize there is a photo of these "distressed ripples" in the Obi-wan reference photos for Rebel Legion.
(I suspect this is Roger's belt ; not Obi-wan's) Wink cheers!

well jokes on me, I was basing it off that tutorial and that same reference pic, also many of the costumes on display feature it with that rippled design. but your right it looks like the hero belt featured a smooth surface. Guess that means I need to make a v2 after the premiere, I could haul a$$ and make a new one, it would only actually take me a day at most.

also on that pic I noticed the wrong pouch on that back end lol, so in a way this also has conflicting data.

but yeah I might do another belt after this week for passing judging, I have to wait till i can get better pouches anyways.
thanks for the screen shots ill probably run off those, also any jedis here have issues with spacing on the belt lol. I can barely fit all my gear thats needed on it as Im a 29 inch waisted dude. lol.
Artais Lon Kenobi (Marco Greselin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. Obi Wan belt have the crinckle crepe, is not required for the application, but the crepe are in Obi wan belt.

The pic that you have show with the difrent pouche is from Obi Wan aotc belt.
lgtsbr ()

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the distressed/weathered look is accurate, the belts naturally weathered as filming went on. The same will happen naturally as you wear a belt.

The image of the pouch you circled, I believe that is the AOTC setup

Belt looks good!

Dave

JOSEE EROKI wrote:

well jokes on me, I was basing it off that tutorial and that same reference pic, also many of the costumes on display feature it with that rippled design. but your right it looks like the hero belt featured a smooth surface. Guess that means I need to make a v2 after the premiere, I could haul a$$ and make a new one, it would only actually take me a day at most.

also on that pic I noticed the wrong pouch on that back end lol, so in a way this also has conflicting data.

but yeah I might do another belt after this week for passing judging, I have to wait till i can get better pouches anyways.
thanks for the screen shots ill probably run off those, also any jedis here have issues with spacing on the belt lol. I can barely fit all my gear thats needed on it as Im a 29 inch waisted dude. lol.

JOSEE EROKI ()

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks dave your buckle is the best, I was so pumped as soon as I saw the package in my mailbox for it lol.

lgtsbr wrote:
Actually, the distressed/weathered look is accurate, the belts naturally weathered as filming went on. The same will happen naturally as you wear a belt.

The image of the pouch you circled, I believe that is the AOTC setup

Belt looks good!

Dave

JOSEE EROKI wrote:

Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took these photos with my own camera, and saw the belt with my own eye.

there was no distressed ripple on the belt.

http://imageshack.com/a/img903/7493/tjFGrI.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img908/7849/PAddhp.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img905/5994/EJhtva.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img907/4800/SSUP6R.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img910/8640/WLNjuX.jpg

Last edited by Cobalt-60 () on Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look at this one in particular: the area of blue light reflecting off the belt, immediately left of the covertec clip.

bear in mind the clarity of the fabric weave immediately above the belt.

--> if were were any substantial 'ripples' in the belt surface ,
this would be illuminated by the blue light reflected off the (smooth) surface of the belt.

Quote:
The same will happen naturally as you wear a belt.

agreed. but that's a far cry from what we're talking about Wink

--> this is a photo from the RL reference library. I think we can agree,
this is clearly a "fan made" exaggeration of the effect you describe, using techniques found in Roger's tutorial.

http://www.kjo.rebellegion.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Obi-WanBelt008.jpg

(given the incorrect fabric, this is NOT a screen-used belt;
this is an RL member's belt -- most likely, the one from the tutorial)

[IMO] : we should not include "fan made" items in the RL reference library, as it causes confusion.*
our reference photos of obi-wans belt, should be , oh I dunno, photos OF 'Obi-Wan's' belt! LOL![/IMO] Razz

Quote:
well jokes on me, I was basing it off that tutorial

* exactly. Wink

Quote:
your right it looks like the hero belt featured a smooth surface.

cheers! Razz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some of the pics I posted were from rpf individuals who also saw the belt on display and the costume featured a distressed look to it and as well are we sure that pic in the references was a fan made belt, I based my design of that tutorial and in it no mention was there about beveling the edges I did that of my own accord looking at references and also lurking on other builds yet that pic in the reference section shows a not slicked(which was in the tutorials) and beveled edge.

Im not arguing per say your right about the screen used having less wear at least in that scene then I artificially put into my leather and the design would be even easier if I didnt have to distress the hide. Im just wondering if there were indeed many versions of obis belt for the movie and either quality control dropped the ball and each one was varying degrees of different or they weathered it as the movie went on to give it that look.

Cobalt-60 wrote:
look at this one in particular: the area of blue light reflecting off the belt, immediately left of the covertec clip.

bear in mind the clarity of the fabric weave immediately above the belt.

--> if were were any substantial 'ripples' in the belt surface ,
this would be illuminated by the blue light reflected off the (smooth) surface of the belt.

Quote:
The same will happen naturally as you wear a belt.

agreed. but that's a far cry from what we're talking about Wink

--> this is a photo from the RL reference library. I think we can agree,
this is clearly a "fan made" exaggeration of the effect you describe, using techniques found in Roger's tutorial.

http://www.kjo.rebellegion.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Obi-WanBelt008.jpg

(given the incorrect fabric, this is NOT a screen-used belt;
this is an RL member's belt -- most likely, the one from the tutorial)

[IMO] : we should not include "fan made" items in the RL reference library, as it causes confusion.*
our reference photos of obi-wans belt, should be , oh I dunno, photos OF 'Obi-Wan's' belt! LOL![/IMO] Razz

Quote:
well jokes on me, I was basing it off that tutorial

* exactly. Wink

Quote:
your right it looks like the hero belt featured a smooth surface.

cheers! Razz
Artais Lon Kenobi (Marco Greselin)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I understand what you mean Cobalt and thank you for the awsome pics, tha belt on the pic does not have the wrinkles, but in other shows of the costume there is that vertical lines. Also on the film you can't see it, but in other mercandise shot you can notice that http://blog.screenweek.it/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Obi-Wan-Kenobi.jpg

Yes the pic from the forum is an exageration made by a fan. Very Happy Ben
Geekymama (Sarah Brumfield)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saints is the best! Those are good friends of ours, and we just put a deposit down for my husband's Ep. 3 Obi Wan. They're also doing a custom generic Jedi for me, a Rey for our 10 year old daughter, and a Jedi for our (almost) three year old daughter.
reguillet ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the hip slits on the outer tunic? Can you please post a picture. In all the reference digging it looks like there aren't any?! But surely there is some.
JOSEE EROKI ()

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reguillet wrote:
What are the hip slits on the outer tunic? Can you please post a picture. In all the reference digging it looks like there aren't any?! But surely there is some.

there arent any hip slits on the outer tunic. literally its just the fold of the tunic halfs over each other.

in other news I weather my faux boots as my other boots didnt come in time

JOSEE EROKI ()

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow its been a bit of time, I've modified this outfit quite a bit but haven't submitted for approval cause I wasn't happy with the final product. Boots were the bane of my existence. found some MR boots but dang I swim in them so I had to offload them quick.

heres where I was at the end of my project

ultrasaber had to go quick so I picked up a saberforge redeemer from the lead guitarist from BOC lol.

From their I made tweaks to the length of the robe so it would barely touch the ground and also fixed the ends of my tabbards so they werent toooo long

After this point I hit a brick wall which is called life. bad anxiety, depression, started balding and decided to shave my head lol

Ive gotten alot better and started the slow climb to growing back the hair so I can finally get this thing done.

Now my hair is finally back to a decent length and Ive finally pulled the trigger on accurate boots from studio boheme so I hope to finally get that fixed and finally finally submit for RL status

I did however get my Death Trooper done still have to submit photos for that too lol but thats the 501st badddd guys lolEvil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Hope to update this once the boots are in and finally assemble final pictures
Ben Ben
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: