Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=655079aa1f2f3c9ed8800a80139518b8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Stefaan answer thread

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases Europe -> Benelux Base -> Benelux Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suzijedi (Suzanne Stelling)
LCJ Support Staff
LCJ Support Staff

Medals: 13 (View more...)
RL Trading Card Design Team (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Stefaan answer thread Reply with quote

Answer thread for Dark Trooper (Stefaan De Baere).

Only Stefaan posts in this thread. Questions are to be posted in the q&a thread.
RL Photoshop Team
Rebel Legion UK
501st UK Garrison #4696
Dark Trooper ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Stefaan answer thread Reply with quote

Master Jevaho wrote:
How do you see the future of the Benelux base as a whole, after the recent events?

To honnest this isn't the first problem we encounter within Benelux Base. Since the same issues keep turning up it's obvious that those problems are not resolved as we speak.

First priority -if we wish this base to survive as Benelux- is to adress those problems -> otherwise it will all come back harder and faster.

It is also my opinion that this base has grown enough to think about a split up between Belgium and The Netherlands for several practical and legal reasons and organisational matters.

Please feel free to ask more questions if you feel the need to do this.

Thank you.
Dark Trooper ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Stefaan answer thread Reply with quote

Lady Marvelin wrote:
What will you change whithin the Base?

I would like to make it more accessible for all of the members and keep it more fun and friendly amongst ourselves, after all this is a hobby and Star Wars is for everybody in the long run.

We may not burry ourselves in too much rules and regulations, we also need to give better guidance to possible new members and excisting members and listen better to them.

There must be more respect for every member and personal likes/dislikes cannot be taken into account or may not spoil 'the fun' within the group in anyway.

I'm not yet up-to-date on the complete status of the base since I was not in charge but I'm sure some things will need changing on the organisational level as well.

If you need to know more please ask.

Thank you.
Dark Trooper ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xSchmitterSx wrote:
i am into this a long time, see a lot things happen, positive and negative ... but i must be honest we move in a good way.

question 1

... we have few members Belgian & Dutch, they join us, let a costume approve ... and that's it, for the rest of the year (and from some years). Don't do any troop with us, they never show interest in the base ... but you see them on many pictures trooping with another club, in the approved Rebel Legion costume. And each year they fill in the census ...

To be honest this feels wrong, and give to rookies/members a wrong signal ...

What can be done against this ...

I don't have issues if a member troop with another club, or join another club ...

People can troop in their own outfit wherever they want and with who they want, seems logic...

BUT

the problem here is that base CO's often mark those members as active when they are not, yes they troop but not as an RL member.....

A valid RL troop or meeting is one approved by base command, if members do not participated at least once a year in one of those they should not be marked as 'active' and they should loose their voting rights -> period !

Rebel Legion regulations apply to everybody, they are not complicated and are easy to follow. It's also unfair if non active members get marked as active so they can still vote in elections and stuff -> this gives an incorrect result in election results as well.

During my 3 years as CO, when I founded this base, I never marked a single member as active when they where not. Rest assure that I will do the right thing once in office.

I understand that people have memberships in different clubs/groups and that's fine by me but rules are rules and we need to keep it fair for everybdoy so our base operations do not get compromised in anyway.

Hope this covers your question.
Dark Trooper ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xSchmitterSx wrote:
Question 2:

We are Rebel Legion Benelux ... we are a base spread over Three Country's: Belgium, Netherlands & Grand Duchy Luxembourg.

We have in the Benelux zone ... 5 languages: Dutch, French, German, Luxembourgs & Flemish. Rebel Legion Benelux, or base has Dutch speaking members, Flemish speaking members & French speaking members ... to make things easy English as the online communication language.

But it seems some of our Dutch members, Flemish Members & French Members, don't speak - read - write English.

Lucky we have few good Region Captains who transelate, but however the problem stays communication between those ... how will you approuch this, so one group don't feel left out because they don't speak English.

Yes, Benelux base has a complicated structure but I believe language is not responsable for the distance between some of our members but their own mentality/mindset towards other members that is the big issue within our base.

When people go to Star Wars Celebration in Orlando for example, you never hear them complain they don't speak English and everybody gets along fine over there, on the other hand on base level it seems to be an issue so what's up with that? Let's face it, rebels always find a way to communicate.

We have the ways and the means to communicate and yes I speak English, Dutch, French and even a little German and we have regional captains who can take care of the communications problems on a language level.

On our local forum example we could create a special section for the french speaking members so they feel more at home, a dutch part for dutch speaking members and of course an english part where all members can swap ideas and talk to each other.

People, let's not waste time on matters like this when obvious and easy solutions ara avalable to keep everybody happy and participating.

It all comes down to good communications between every member and base command, regardless the language barrier.
Dark Trooper ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xSchmitterSx wrote:
Question 3:

... some members started the subject early'r this year about splitting up, i fought against the reason they give up. It was a slefish reason ... the members i talking of are those a mention in question 1.

Former CO & I, had a strong feeling that the put up the younglings up with this idea to, we could not prove it, but we noticed in some comments of the last weeks, the same style of words ... and they came up with the suggestion of splitting up.

But the reason one give ... i was first not happy ... be to honest in a way he was right. So i decided not longer fight against this splitting up.

- - - - -

Problem is the different regulations in the Benelux zone.

So long nothing happens, we are safe, the moment something should happen, well ...

But i must be honest in Belgium are our laws complex.

We get from organisations questions about our insurance, paperwork, ... we can not do any charity's in Belgium, something about taxes. In time we will be forced by Belgian laws to form a official club (VZW or ASBL) and need a insurance, etc. etc.

- - - - -

I fear we will be forced by those Belgian regulations to split up.

What do you think about splitting up?

As I pointed out in reply to the first question asked by Master Jevaho (Jeffrey) I'm not against splitting up Benelux base if there are no other solutions avalable anymore.

Since we are Benelux base (3 countries) it makes it very hard to keep organising events and troops since we have 3 different countries involved with very different laws, rules and regulations.

I also refer to the fact that some people keep causing problems based on old stuff and personal likes/dislikes towards other member. By doing that they forget that they are ruining the internal relationships between members and that is something we really don't need anymore.

In order for Benelux to survive a clean-up is much needed but on the other hand Belgium has enough members to excist solo and so does The Netherlands for that matter so there are options avalable.

Personal likes/dislikes should be put aside for the benefit of the entire group and not one individual. It's that simple.
Dark Trooper ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xSchmitterSx wrote:
Question 4:

Since September 2009, Rebel Legion Benelux has decided to become neutral base, don't choose side in any conflict from other clubs.

... every one is from everywhere welcome. As long they respect us, we respect them. We even have relations with some cosplay groups.

Do you still believe in this neutral point of view ...

- - - - -

I made a quick resumé of clubs in the Benelux Zone:

Belgium:
1. Teekay-421 (SW Fanclub)
2. Belgian Garrison (North Belgium) (SW Costume Club)
3. BCD (SW Prop Club)
4. Prospectors (SW Prop Club)
5. Twin Sun Clan (SW Costume Club)
6. Star Kit Wars (Prop & Costume Club)
7. Star Force Events (SW Event Club)
8. Cosplay Cloud (Cosplay Group)
9. Be Cosplay (Cosplay Club)
10. Universal Cosplay Shelter (Cosplay Club)
11. Fan Wars (SW Prop & Costume Club)
12. Fan Wars Garrison (South Belgium) (SW Costume Club)

Netherlands:
13. Dutch Garrison (SW Costume Club)
14. Clan Diryc Vhetin (SW Costume Club)

Luxembourg:
15. 501st Luxembourg Outpost (SW Costume Club)

... these are the ones i know, and know members of it. We also have own members spread over those clubs. Everywhere we have Rebel spy's Wink.

We have always been a neutral base and everybody is welcome to join us regardless possible cross membership that might excist. If collaboration with other groups or other rebel bases could benefit both groups I cannot see nothing wrong with that.

And yes, mutual respect towards every single person is a must.
Dark Trooper ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ki-Djowac wrote:
I think our veteran XO has brought up alot of issues within the base that has brought us to this special election.

A motivated CO : demotivated by a degree she had to resign ASAP. Not too far behind the resignation of our XO.

As a regular member i can see there is something definitely wrong within the base for something like this to occur. The RLB spirit when i joined all those years ago seems a bit lost.

My question lies along the lines of Stijn's questions. How do you intend to bring the base back together or is it your intention to split the base into little parts ?

As allready mentionned before it has been brought to my attention that the former CO and XO quitted because of the negative attitude of several member(s). When looking back it allways comes back to the same member(s) who keep on messing things up...

If we wish Benelux base to continue a clean-up is needed even if that means we have to cut loose some member(s) in order to do this.

If we do not succeed in doing this a split up will be demanded and 2 new bases will rise within the Rebel Legion ranks.

Otherwise
Dark Trooper ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meggyra wrote:
Yes for the moment, the questions I had in mind have been asked.
The splitting (I think it's asked enough :p), and also the last question of Stijn, but maybe in a different way:

When I arrived into the base in 2008, we did all events with other groups, we had fun, we were considered as important as the 501st, it was fun. Then I really don't know what happens but we are no more invited to join other groups. Even French Base for exemple, they invited us in France, but we loose contact. With Italians also, ...

As CO, will you try to contact the main group around us? We had dinner also once a year all together, it was cool to keep contact, do you want to do it again?
Will you forget all the "children" fights and try to make peace with everyone?

Stijn says we are "neutral" but it doesn't look like for me ^^

I will surely have other questions but later :p

During my 3 years as CO as Benelux base I worked hard on keeping in touch with the other Rebel Bases within Europe. We had very good contacts with Elstree, French, Italian, Spanish, Ploand and German base and so on...

After I retired it seems not much has been done on this level and contact was lost, we need to take more time to restore these contacts as well. Feel free to ask within these bases if they still know ;-)

Stijn is correct when stating that we are neutral but if we get publicly attacked for no reason what so ever then I think we have the right to defend our group and base in a honnest way.

Sure, group dinners can be nice but we most not not forget that we do all these things for fun and every member I talked with these last week told me they have lost the fun part which is not good, they feel to much obligation when this is supposed to be a hobby we do for fun.....
Dark Trooper ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puck wrote:
Question 1:

In the past there have been struggles with or negatives feelings towards other fanclubs such as the Belgian Garrison and the Dutch Garrison. Do you think we should improve our relations with those clubs and if so, how do you want to do that.

Question 2:

We currently have this chat group in which feedback is given about costumes and event information is shared. In some cases this info is not even found on the forum (Such as documents about the Gala Event).
Do you think the chat group is a good way to share this information and that it will somehow replace the forum? Because at the moment the forum is hardly used.
If you prefer using the forum instead of the chat group, how would you bring back members to the forum and make it interesting or worth their while to post there?

Question 1

Yes there have been problems with the groups mentionned. We worked with the Belgian Garrison last wednesday actually and everything worked out fine and even FanWars Garrison was present at this event, all of us side by side... so what's the problem??

About the Dutch Garrison. Yes we have cross membership which is fine by me but many of the members feel that they try push the 501st rules into the Rebel Legion and our base and to be honnest, this is the RL and RL rules apply, it's that simple. If you wish to follow the 501st rules then you need to troop with the 501st.

Our base should be open to collaborate with every Star Wars minded group since we all share the same passion and we should keep an open mind and respect each other as Star Wars fans.

If we wish to improve collaboration both groups need to talk more with each other and communicate better. It may not become a competition between two groups because that it often is...

Question 2

Personaly I don't like chatrooms and the forums are indeed not as active as they used to be. A forum is a good platform when the information that is offered is clean and simple and esay to read -> this is not Always the case.

In the long run it al comes down to the members themselves, willing or not willing to visit the forum regurly. If you offer to much ways to communicate you will only make it harder.

Best way to do this en this worked in the past is by clean structural mail to all of the members to inform them about a certain topic on the forum.

If there is very little or no response, call them them or send a text message, works like a charm.

A forum should feel like a second home, easy to read and to get into even for the French speaking members. If the creation of a French speaking part could solve some problems then we need to do this as well. A forum only works if the members are willing to contribute.
Dark Trooper ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xSchmitterSx wrote:
Oh good question Mégane, what made you a better CO than the other nominated ...

That is hard to compare since the other candidates haven't been CO yet like myself. Yes I have the experience but I wish to point out that the other candidates would be great CO's as well, otherwise they wouldn't have accepted their nominations.

Every candidate only wants one thing, to keep the base alive and the members happy. All of the other stuff needs input from every single member, otherwise we can not function as a group.

If members help each other out the more time everybody has to enjoy themselves and have fun together.
Dark Trooper ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ki-Djowac wrote:
My question lies along the lines of Stijn's questions. How do you intend to bring the base back together or is it your intention to split the base into little parts ?

I have been thinking about the splitting up part and due to the way the question is posed it seems that splitting up the base is my own personal idea which it is not !!

I can say this, I'm not against it but it's no obligation either. I'm just making this statement because a lot of the Belgian members want to go solo and return to a Belgian base like it was when we started out.

The dutch didn't have enough rebel cosplayers in the past and not enough people to form their own outpost. They asked if they could join us but due to cheographical reasons this was not possible unless we would merge the 2 or 3 countries together.

I do not dislike the dutch members and I have made some fine friends amongst them but at some point it is better to think about the future. The last 5 years I have been regular member and I have always heard people complaining, not happy, not willing to troop anymore,... makes me wonder why?

And yes it always comes back to the same person(s) beeing pointed out as the point of origin as the source of the problems.

There are some serious issues within this base and everybody keeps turning their heads away from these. Good policy or not? Well, I will let you guys decide.

Much of the questions asked and replies given will change nothing about the problems that we are having within this base. Of we don't adress those first, well like han would say... 'I have a bad feeling abouth this!'
Dark Trooper ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition, which experience can I bring to table myself?

- 3 years as CO of the Benelux Base and founder
- 2 years as BMO of the Benelux Base
- 1 year on the Rebel Legion council
- CO of the 99th Imperial Garrison - Belgian Outpost
- Event manager of the Belgian Star Wars fanclub TeeKay-421
- Longtime member of the 501st FanWars Garrison
- 20 years experience as a communications expert for the Belgian government

My expectations for this election?

Absolutely zero to be honnest, but at last my opinion will be heard and those of the others I represent.
LCJ Support Staff
LCJ Support Staff

2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although questions are now closed, answers may continue for two (2) additional days (to 27 December 2015 at 08:59am GMT).
RL Photoshop Team
Rebel Legion UK
501st UK Garrison #4696
LCJ Support Staff
LCJ Support Staff

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answers now closed.
RL Photoshop Team
Rebel Legion UK
501st UK Garrison #4696
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases Europe -> Benelux Base -> Benelux Archive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: