Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=eec792c5b9925ccc9b44c3395d00d563Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Mihunai's Generic Prequel Jedi belt tutorial

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mihunai (Jermain Palmen)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Mihunai's Generic Prequel Jedi belt tutorial Reply with quote

After making 2 belts for myself I made a belt for a fellow Legion member,
and decided to document its construction for future reference.

Hopefully this will make it easier for future Jedi
to choose a leather belt, rather than an off-the-shelf pleather
one.

So here it is stuffed in one tutorial.

http://1drv.ms/1vxp536

While this is ofcourse not the only way to make
a Jedi belt, I liked it better than what I had seen on the
web.

All parts can be found on the internet.
The Chicago screws and Belt studs can be found
on E-bay, though some leather shops may carry these as
well.

The buckle I got from Strapworks.

Good luck

Last edited by Mihunai (Jermain Palmen) on Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Klo Unduli ()

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you SO much for posting this amazing tutorial! I just used it to complete my first jedi belt! Mr. Green

I did a few things a wee bit differently, which turned out great! I detailed the creation of the belt on my WIP page here: New member, costume WIP

The tutorial was very well written and the process very well illustrated. The only part that was missing was how to attach the belt loops to the main belt (or to the small belt, or if you did this at all). I attached it to the main belt using the excess thread from the belt loops, and it worked wonderfully!

Thanks again!!! Mr. Green
Mihunai (Jermain Palmen)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply, but I'm glad it worked out, because that
is one fine looking belt!

The reason the front loop attachment isn't in the tutorial, is because
the person who's belt was used in the tutorial didn't want to attach them
to the main belt, but in my other belts I tend to sew them on as well.

I have some more toys for beltmaking now, so when the next belt
comes along, I'll be sure to go all out.
Matty8393 (Matt Melton)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither of the links work anymore.
Mihunai (Jermain Palmen)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link is fixed, so enjoy your belt making again Smile
Milori T'Bell ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to hosting issues, I will put the entire tutorial here on the page

!!!READ COMPLETE TUTORIAL BEFORE TAKING ACTION!!!!

[Materials]
1]Cutting tool 2]Scissors 3]Buckle 4]Belt studs (Sam Brown studs) 5]Fasteners (Chicago Screw) 6]Strong yarn (for leather) 7]Hole punch set 8]Hammer (Not in picture)
9]Wide leather belt, around 5-6cm wide, and the circumference of your waist +around 30cm long. 10]Smaller leather belt, around 2 cm (must fit your buckle), and 10cm longer than your wide belt.
11]Solid base for hole punching

Put on full costume, or at least everything you would wear underneath your belt. Wrap the wide leather belt tightly around your waist, and mark where it starts to overlap. This will determine how much leather is needed for the belt itself.
This is mainly to ensure you have enough leather to complete your belt.

Next, measure 19cm of the wide leather belt, then cut that piece off.

Lightly cut a straight line across the outside (the 'good' side), then deepen that cut untill you are almost through. Folding the leather along the cutting line, as seen in the picture above, makes cutting easier. Once your are almost through, continue cutting from the inside. This is to make sure you go straight through, rather than cutting a layer off the leather.

Use the smallest end on the hole punch set, and attach it to the holepunch.
NOTE: The type of hole punch doesn't matter, as long as you have one that can make holes that are big enough for the threads of the Sam Brown studs, and the shafts of the Chicago screws to fit through. A hole punch set like the one I'm using, where you slam the punch through the leather with a hammer, simply makes sure you can use enough force to get though the thick leather.
Use the hole punch to make 2 holes, both 1cm away from the sides of the leather.

Then you can screw in the Sam Brown studs, with the screws going in the on the outside side of the leather, and the studs themselves on the inside of the leather.

Now wrap the belt around your waist once more, again wearing everything you would normally wear underneath.
Wrap it around so that the studs press into the other side of the belt. (So the studded end overlaps the other end)
Make sure you wrap the belt around your waist as tightly as you can, and press the studs into the belt hard enough to leave dents. This will determine where the closure holes will go.

Using the dents as a guide, measure 1cm off each side again and make two new holes. This time you should use either: make holes large enough for the top of the Sam Brown stud to fit trough, or make holes large enough for the shaft of the Sam Brown stud, and make a slit =away= from the end to still make the studs fit through.
Here we went for the first solution, and made holes large enough for the tops of the studs to fit through.
MAKE SURE THE HOLES ARE NOT TOO BIG!
The studs should fit, but only by using force. If the studs fit too easily, the belt might accidentaly open.

Should a cat intrude in the process,
DON'T PANIC!
Just grab your towel, and scare it away.

Measure the distance between the closure holes (on the left) to the other end of the belt MINUS the width of the clasp (the piece of leather you cut off earlier).
Divide this number by 2. This gives you the location of your buckle (C).
In our case the distance (D) was 92cm, so our centre C was at 46cm from the closure holes.
Next divide D by 8. This gives us distance (O). In our case this gave us 11,5cm
Next lay the small belt on top of the wide belt, right in the middle. Measured from C mark O on either side. At that distance, put a Sam Brown stud on either side of the small belt like this:

Use a graphite pencil or some other discrete way to mark the location of one or both studs. Measure the distance (S) from the edge as reference for the others.
Now use the small hole punch end again to make the remaining holes for the studs.

Now lay the small belt between the studs, with an equal amount extending on either side the wide belt, then cut at C.

Then cut a 6cm long piece off both pieces of small belt. These will be our so called “Loops”.

Now make a hole large enough for a Chicago Screw on one end of both the small belt pieces.

[Chicago screws on the left, small belt at the bottom right, wide belt on the right]
Make a Chicago Screw-sized hole about 3cm from the edge in the middle on the closure hole end, and NO MORE THAN 4cm, BUT NO LESS THAN 1cm on the studded end of the belt.

Use two Chicago Screws to attach the small belt pieces to the wide belt using the holes you made in the previous step.

Run the remaining ends of the smal belt pieces through the buckle, and adjust until the buckle is in the centre. Make sure it is still in the centre when the belt is closed.
At this point you could use a staple, glue or thread to secure the small belt in place. (only the overlaps)

Punch 3 small holes on both ends of both loops

Next cut off twelve 60cm pieces of string, fold them in half and twist the ends

Now comes the sewing.
Run two pieces of string through opposing holes from both sides.

7. Tighten the strings as hard as you can, then make a basic 'pretzel knot' or whichever knot you prefer, using both blue ends as one string, and both orange ends as the other string for your knot.
Then reattach the small belt/close the buckle. You should still be able to adjust the overlaps next to the buckle to place the buckle in the centre again.

Make two Chicago Screw sized holes on one end of the Clasp piece, and insert a female end of a chicago screw in both holes.

Punch 2 Chicago screw-sized holes where the dents are.
Take the female Chicago screw ends out, and put them in the new holes through the =inside=, with the screw openings pointing =outward=.
Push the protruding ends through the old holes, and screw everything together.
Run one end of the wide belt through the clasp, close the belt, and shove the clasp over the closure.

Congratulations!
You just made yourself a Jedi belt
BROUGHT TO YOU BY Mihunai a.k.a. Jermain Palmen
helping hand, photographer and costume model Khepry a.k.a. Jan Wilms
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: