Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6b2f0014f00ab7687ecf3059704fa0a9Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Leia's Senatorial gown doubts.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pandorachaan ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Leia's Senatorial gown doubts. Reply with quote

Hello, dear rebels! Leia Buns

Last Wednesday I registered the RL forums hopping that I could become a member of your community very soon with Leia's Senatorial gown. However, I posted a topic presenting myself to everyone HERE and I left three questions I had about this costume. As I haven't got a reply since then or a warm welcoming I was wondering if it is okay to post here my doubts and get some useful help. The questions are not a big deal, but it would help me to feel a bit more confident so here I go:

1) Is it strictly necessary that Leia's Senatorial gown slits up the sides to or just below the knees?? I know that the note says that "the costume standards are a guide, yet are not an all inclusive outline of required elements", but I want to be sure.

2) Do I have to post here as well my process (I was going to post it directly on the RL's Spanish Base forums) or I can work on my costume privately and when I'm finish register my costume here with the photos I need?

3) About Leia's boots, I bought from eBay some white non-shiny vinyl boots, but it has a small-low heel on the black sole. Do you think this could be a problem or is it okay to use?

Thank you so much for your time and forgive this little spanish noobie!

Last edited by Pandorachaan () on Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nomad Angie (Angie Rivera)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hola y bienvenida a la Legion! Welcome to the Rebel Legion.

You asked us questions, and here are some answers:

1. YES, it is strictly necessary that the dress has the slits on the sides, but they reach about just below the knees.

2. You can work privately on your costume and submit it when it's finished, but we can't guarantee that your costume will be approved immediately if it's missing some elements or has some fixable imperfections. Posting pictures of your costume as you work on it will help other members to give you feedback about it before submitting, and will make the costume judging process easier when you finally submit your application.

3. The standard for the shoe says that boots can have a small heel, no higher than 1.5 Inches I believe. The lower the heel the better. It will help if you post a link of the boots you bought so I can give a more informed opinion.

Feel free to message me or reply if you have more questions. I'm looking forward to see your costume soon.
Base Membership Officer 2017

Last edited by Nomad Angie (Angie Rivera) on Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Pandorachaan ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your fast reply, Angie. I really appreciate it!
Here is a photo of my actual Leia's white boots (sorry for the bad light, my camera is horrible):
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think those boots are okay for submitting the costume. I'd like to see what others think.

In the future you can get creative and modify them to resemble the boots that Carrie Fisher wore in the movie if you want. I've seen some people do it and it looks amazing.
Pandorachaan ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion, Angie! I will wait to see what others think about it.

Meanwhile, I'm a bit confuse with Leia's belt. I've seen this post where you can see what shape is approvable or not, but I'm concerned that this active Legion member (that has her costume registered) has Leia's belt with the same first shape that is not theoretically approvable. I've also seen her WIP post of the costume and it looks like she didn't have any problem with the belt approval.

Please, don't get my wrong! I admire her work and I'm happy for her because she is now an official member of the Rebel Legion, but I must say that I'm getting just the same belt as she has got and I would like to be sure that everything is right and that it works for me the same way that it did to her.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see what is your concern.

I looked at the dates, and it looks like the Leia Belt Guide created by SongofAmazon was released two months after the costume for that member was approved.

Unfortunately, we can't contact the member and ask her to redo the belt since she was approved. New members have to build their belts according to the most current guidelines as new references for the costumes come across.

I am very new to the Legion Costume Judge Team and we are here to help each other and new members with their costume builds.
ladysolo14 ()
Legion Membership Officer
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pandorachaan wrote:

Meanwhile, I'm a bit confuse with Leia's belt. I've seen this post where you can see what shape is approvable or not, but I'm concerned that this active Legion member (that has her costume registered) has Leia's belt with the same first shape that is not theoretically approvable. I've also seen her WIP post of the costume and it looks like she didn't have any problem with the belt approval.

Please, don't get my wrong! I admire her work and I'm happy for her because she is now an official member of the Rebel Legion, but I must say that I'm getting just the same belt as she has got and I would like to be sure that everything is right and that it works for me the same way that it did to her.

I just submitted with that same exact belt and was asked to change the shape of the belt for approval. When I submitted, I kind of knew that might be a possibility. I actually enjoy leather working so I'm making a leather belt from scratch and using the plates from that belt. Luckily the plates are just screwed on so they are really easy to detach and attach to a new belt base.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ladysolo14: As soon as I saw the post, I immediately thought of you.

Like I mentioned Pandorachaan, I am new to the Costume Judging Team for about a month, and I have based my judging on the current Costume Standards and other helpful material that our Detachment staff has created to help us in the judging process, as well as image references available.

All we can do is talk to the Costume Judges and make sure they are thoroughly looking at the applications in the future.
Pandorachaan ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your reply! I will keep working then and if I have more questions I will post them here. I will try in the future do what Ladysolo14 said, it's a good suggestion and it's good to see that I'm not alone ^^
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, the boots you found are great. Go ahead and use them. I like they they are not slouchy at all.

As to the belt, Angie is correct, we no longer accept that shape. The judges created that guide last year to standardize our judging process, so that all applicants were judged exactly the same. This has meant that belt judging has gotten a bit stricter over the last year, but standards do tend to have a tendency to get stricter over time. Because she was approved before the judges reached consensus on belts, she got in with that shape and remains approved. If I were to see her today, I would recommend that she fix it for trooping, but because she is already approved, I cannot require that change.

Basically, that guide diagram is your best help in letting you know what the judges will look for in your belt.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
Pandorachaan ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SongofAmazon wrote:
First, the boots you found are great. Go ahead and use them. I like they they are not slouchy at all.

Thank you so much!! I was a bit worried about the boots, but know I feel a bit more confident!

I'm going to try to get for this december a Rubie's blaster toy for Leia's costume and paint it with black spray. That should do the trick, right? God, I can't wait for winter to get all my pieces finished and show some photos!! I'm really nervous xD

EDIT: About Leia's hair, is it okay to have the buns in netting??
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the netting is the thin kind that blends with hair, you can wear it.
Pandorachaan ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice, Angie! I will upload a photo soon (I'm hoping next week) to show my full costume, hairstyle included. Meanwhile, I've got a new question: I would like to register my costume this o next month, but it will be on November or December when I can get Leia's blaster. As I can't get it earlier, I will probably upload an action shot (the profile image for the roster) without the blaster, but I actually prefer to upload one with the blaster. Could I change the profile image in the future?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can change the roster image in the future when you get one that you like better, as long as it meets the standards.
Pandorachaan ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fantastic, thank you! Could you tell my how to do it?? I mean, do I have to ask the staff to do it or I could upload it myself...? How does that work after someone gets a costume approved and becomes an official member of the Rebel Legion??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: