Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9e82b32825293ca751f21f399fa738c3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Wookiee Costume Standards Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> COSTUME STANDARDS -> Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kallabeccani (Angela Basinger)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So.....

If all the sources state that wookiees were 2.0 meters 6'6" basically and up.... why is it so hard that it be brought to that standard? Even if it is just for females and elders so they may look smaller than the male counterpart. 7 foot is great for the males but this would open up the door to so much more.

I still believe 6 foot is way too tall for children wookiees when we have 2 sources of Gungi and Lumpy stating they was just barely over the 5 foot mark well for Gungi that is as lumpy was never seen beside Ford for height.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Grey Jedi (Donna Keeley)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 9 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with being old is that you remember watching the Holiday Special when it aired and thinking "WTH did I just watch?" Surprised

I found a picture with both Lumpy and Han. If you correct for the forced perspective of Han being upstage while Lumpy is downstage (plus being behind Mala's arm), the child Wookiee comes to around chest-height on the human.

I don't have a dog in this fight, I just remembered that there was a shot with Lumpy and Han both in the frame. I still think a height range is better than a specific height, but that's how I operated when I was an LCJ.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does it feel like that one proposed addition to the standards is simply being ignored? We keep seeing from various sources that the average minimum height of a female is 6'6, while males remains at 7ft.

Now I know that currently there are no standards other than the generic for a female wook, but isnt that an easy addition since there is a clear distinction between males and females? Are we just going to have to wait for a female to be made and stand next to a male? Other than the obvious lack of female characters within Star Wars that limits official references what will it take to have this addition to the standards made?
mad_muppet (Mark Warner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't get an immediate decision = ignored?

I think that the antagonistic and clearly uncooperative, snarky attitude of certain participants is being politely smoothed over, if anything.

I agree that if the reference material supports smaller wookiees, then a lower minimum range makes sense with the decision still ultimately being the LCJs', or we're gonna see ewoks applying for wookiee-hood.

Then again, I think it may be up for debate as to whether the Holiday Special is really canon or an acceptable reference.
Bacca9 (Jamie "Gingersnap")
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one is being ignored. This is still a discussion thread and, as stated earlier, when and if Angela decides to submit for approval, she is welcome to also submit a suggested standard for generic females. Until then, we have to use the standard we have as a basis. Please be patient, as new costumes often take time to discuss both in public and private forums.

Rebel Legion: Bacca9
501st: TK-91107
Mandalorian Mercs: OM-1107
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Assistant Membership Officer
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 16 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that this is a DISCUSSION.

Costume judges open up discussion threads to improve standards as new/better information or new/better techniques are discovered. Also, since the SW Galaxy is huge and getting larger by the year, we often have to take a fresh look at some standards...and add others.

The truth of the matter is that costume standards can be changed by the LCJ's and the Costume Standards committee without further input from others.

We do, however, value the opinion of others and that is why we open up discussion threads. Often people present good insight, new images and fresh ideas.

Also, all too often, the discussion threads turn from "discussion" to "argument" - the discussion just keeps running around in circles with no one listening and no real progress. Everyone wants their way....as in most things in life...there needs to be compromise. Go into a discussion knowing that the outcome will not please everyone....change the things you can and accept that which is not changed to your liking.

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Coryleeper (Cory Leeper)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grey Jedi wrote:
The problem with being old is that you remember watching the Holiday Special when it aired and thinking "WTH did I just watch?" Surprised

I found a picture with both Lumpy and Han. If you correct for the forced perspective of Han being upstage while Lumpy is downstage (plus being behind Mala's arm), the child Wookiee comes to around chest-height on the human.

I don't have a dog in this fight, I just remembered that there was a shot with Lumpy and Han both in the frame. I still think a height range is better than a specific height, but that's how I operated when I was an LCJ.

Seems like if there is a male adult wookiee (Sorry the name eludes me) that is Han's height (pictured in Grey Lady's Lumpy /Han pic), its very plausible that there could be a female wookiee that is 6'6 or even shorter.

I realize that older folks (and old wookiees) get shorter with aging but not a significant amount.

Just food for thought... seems like wookiees aren't always over 7'0.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be Itchy Chewbacca's father and if memory serves me well he was just a little taller than Harrison Ford, maybe 2 or 3 inches. I would have to see if Peter remembers to be honest. An easy way to find out Lumpy's height is by the actress that played him. I don't remember her name but Matt (Gotwookiee) would.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So whatever happened with this? From the looks of things the standards never got updated.

The standards on the site do not appear to have been updated.

http://www.rebellegion.com/costume-standards/fringe/
Bacca9 (Jamie "Gingersnap")
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 3 (View more...)
RL Trading Card Design Team (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GotWookiee wrote:
So whatever happened with this? From the looks of things the standards never got updated.

The standards on the site do not appear to have been updated.

http://www.rebellegion.com/costume-standards/fringe/

I believe the new LMO is reviewing all the updates for approval. Hopefully, they can be updated within the next couple months Smile

Rebel Legion: Bacca9
501st: TK-91107
Mandalorian Mercs: OM-1107
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's been over a year since these were submitted. I do see that this thread is back in the public forum.
Any updates on this?
Evilcritter ()

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am curious as to why Wookiees are still listed as minimum 7' when there seems to be ample evidence that females are generally shorter. This seems to be creating a barrier that will keep women from playing Wookiees. Average height for North American women is 5'4', so if we need to add almost 2' to our height, the t-rex effect is unavoidable.
I wanna be a Wookiee! And I don't want to HAVE to be Lumpawarrump or Gungi because I am average height for a woman.
I know Angela has a beautiful design and a ton of research under her belt. Is the solution for us ladies to make a female at a slightly lower height (in the proposed range) and submit it, in order to push for an update to the standards?
Please note, I am new to the RL forums, and I know this discussion has got heated in various threads. Please do not read a tone into my comments. I am merely curious as to what I can do to make it so I, and other women, can play at being a Wookiee.
Other option: ask Disney to include a female Wookiee in an upcoming film. Preferably with 2 breasts and around 6'8" tall!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilcritter wrote:
I too am curious as to why Wookiees are still listed as minimum 7' when there seems to be ample evidence that females are generally shorter.

I was the Wookiee LCJ at that time that decision was made and was the one who made it after consulting with several other Wookiees.

The basic idea was that it was a fuzzy requirement. We couldn't really check to see if someone was actually at least 7'. If they were 6'10" we wouldn't know (or really care).

It also didn't seem to be a problem because everyone was doing it (wearing stilts or platforms) so it didn't encounter any resistance. In my view the standards should be based around what most people are doing. If people are struggling with something, making it a requirement isn't going to suddenly motivate them to overcome the problem. Helping people with better tutorials will, sharing advice on the build, etc.

That being said, I do think that the Generic Wookiee CRL ought to be amended if there is evidence for female Wooks being shorter.

However, the current problem is that the latest revision to the standards was completed and submitted almost two years ago and it hasn't been posted yet. When things take that long there is not a lot of motivation try and make further changes.
Evilcritter ()

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the proposed revisions posted anywhere? I'd be interested in seeing them.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first posts of this topic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> COSTUME STANDARDS -> Archive All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: