Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ad208dd14fc06355e55e96d4b7b463eaMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Obi-Wan ROTS style Undertunic collar pleats

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KrisAntilles (Amanda Burk)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Obi-Wan ROTS style Undertunic collar pleats Reply with quote

One more post from my WIP thread that seemed like a good one to pull out and put in the tutorials section.

The undertunic for my Jedi has collar pleats similar to Obi-Wan's undertunic from ROTS, but with 5 pleats instead of 3, and I used the same pleat pattern down the forearms of my sleeves as well.

Below is how I made the pleats for my sleeve cuffs, but the same method was used for the collar as well.

Also check out Jedi Tunic Tutorials (plus tabards/obi), by SithariRog, as there's great information regarding the collar and sleeves of Obi-Wan's ROTS undertunic there as well!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If anyone is curious how I made the pleated cuffs and collar of my undertunic, I took pictures while I made the last pleat on my cuffs.

Just finished sewing down the previous pleat:

Iron down the previous pleat:

Fold the fabric up that you'll use to make your next pleat:

And iron that seam down:

Seam all ironed down:

Now fold the fabric down to get ready to make the next pleat:

Closer look:

Measure to make sure the top of your new pleat is 3/4" below the top of the pleat above it. Do this all the way across:

New pleat is 3/4" below the previous pleat all the way across, ready to make my seam:

Mark your new seam 1 1/2" down from the top of the new pleat. Mark it in two places:

And mark your seam all the way across:

Pin your seam down and head to the sewing machine:

Sew down your seam:

Iron your new seam flat:

And you're done. Repeat for however many pleats you want to make:

Here's what the pleated fabric looks like from the back:

Pleated cuff with top portion of sleeve:

Pin the two pieces together:

And sew them down:

Trim the cuff piece down to fit the pattern:

And the rest is sewing together a normal sleeve:

I used the same method to make the pleats for the collar piece on my under tunic:

Only difference between the cuff pleats and the collar pleats is for the collar I didn't make my pleats 3/4" apart all the way across. Instead, at the center back of the neck, I made the pleats 1/4" apart then fanned out to 3/4" apart at the ends of the collar. That way I could still have several pleats that wrapped around the front, but the whole piece wasn't nearly as wide at the back of the neck so the collar didn't look too excessively tall around the back of my neck.

Completed collar:

Completed sleeve cuffs:

Finished product:

And if you're using a stretchy knit/jersey fabric like I used for my undertunic, I definitely recommend one of these, makes sewing stretchy fabric so much easier and the seams come out much nicer and flatter, instead of all wrinkled, stretched, and wonky:

I have a new toy for my sewing machine! A walking foot! OMG, this thing made sewing together the knit fabric of my undertunic SO much easier! How did I ever live without this thing!

Dun Got Class Costuming Creations
Dune Mysthopper ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration17 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does one figure out how much fabric they would need for all these pleats, when cutting out the fabric for them?

I am interested in making pleats like you have for my collar and sleeves.

Edit: Lastly, are these knife pleats or Box pleats? Then is there another piece of fabric the pleated fabric piece is sewn too?
serephent ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of your additional pictures are broken and I would love to see them as I had wanted to do this look!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Jedi Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: