Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=36689fcc387b782f9490f9cbb8f590e4Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rogue One RFT armband and helmet decals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Nar Shaddaa Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 17 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Rogue One RFT armband and helmet decals Reply with quote

Disclaimer....
I am not convinced that what I am presenting here is accurate because at this time, I have not seen enough images of the RO RFT MP...
but..
this is a guess...
this is what I made...
and
since it did not take a whole lot of time, it can be easily re-made when better images are available.

Helmet Decals:

I downloaded and cut some of the RFT bucket decals using my Cri-cut machine. Each RFT helmet is subtly different to be sure, so I sized the decals to my bucket and just guessed.

I cut a bunch of them and saved the file, so if anyone is interested in decals...lmk....

Here is a bunch of the decals

To put them on the helmet you take the decal and add masking tape on the top...the cheaper the tape the better as you don't want the masking tape to stick really well as it gets peeled off leaving the decal behind.

Next peel off the decal backing paper and the decal will be left adhered to the masking tape.

Next line up the decal onto the bucket...without pressing it down till you like the position.

When you think the position is good...then take your fingernail and press down over the entire decal.

then gently and carefully remove the masking tape and make sure the black decal remains stuck to the bucket.

and...
you're done with that part

The Armband...

What I used:

white canvas duck cloth

Olive drab bottom weight twill - but note that I put the lined "twill" part as the "wrong side" of the fabric because the twill gave the piece a kind of a shine that I didn't like.

2" black sew on Velcro

black thread
white thread

A sheet of adhesive backed craft felt - this is the stuff I used...unfortunately...I don't have the whole label for you to see.

First I took the graphics images...printed them...
note the size I used:

and placed them on the reverse side of the craft felt (face down!!! unless you mirror them) and traced the image pressing fairly hard.

That left a line to follow on the back of the craft felt that I cut along that pressed in line.

I made the white background out of the white canvas duck cloth and made the finished size of the duck cloth 4" x 4" - cut it larger to allow for pressing the raw edges to the back

Once you have the white duck cloth squares made with the raw edges pressed back, position the graphics onto the squares by peeling the back of the adhesive paper off and stick the graphics down on the duck cloth.
Sew around the perimeter of the stuck on graphics with black thread-sew as close to the outside line as you can.

Put those aside for now...
and start on the olive drab armband.

I used a strip of the olive drab fabric that was 6" wide and about 22" long - it ended up too long, but make sure to make it longer as each arm is different...you will make the entire band first and then adjust the size last before adding on the graphic panels.

Take one of the strips of fabric and sew on the loop side of the tape to the RIGHT SIDE of only one strip of fabric. Doing this allows that when completed, you will not see a stich outline of the Velcro on the outside of the armband.

Now place the strip with the loop tape on top of the other strip of fabric (right sides together)

and stitch down one long side, across the short side with the Velcro and down the other side leaving the other short side open.

Then turn inside out and press...the loop tape will now be on the outside.

Next you will need to determine how long your piece needs to be to fit your arm snuggly...remember to have the piece long enough to accommodate the addition of the hook piece of Velcro.

Once you determine the right length for you....tuck in the other short end and press...

Sew that end shut and then sew on the hook piece of Velcro...you don't have to worry about that hook piece seam showing through both layers as that part of the armband will be next to your shirt.

It should look like this

Next, determine where the white panels with the graphics need to go...
take note of the orientation of the symbols...
take note that which graphic appears on the outside surface of the right bicep and the other graphic appears to face the front of the right bicep.

This is how I spaced and oriented mine:

When you are happy with the orientation and spacing...sew the white panels with the graphics on to the armband.

Here are some images:

Here is an album with photos and graphics that I used

http://s201.photobucket.com/user/schphgochi/library/RLWT/Rogue%20One%20RFT?sort=2&page=1

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Crix (Thomas Turner)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks fantastic! definitely doing this

CO: OUTLAW SQUADRON - OUTLAW 13
CO of The 'Verse (firefly/Serenity costume club)
SL/TK/IC 4913 of the 501st
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also decided to do something a little different with the black strip on the front of the bucket...

I still had the piece of plastic that the bucket was cut from

I took a piece out of one of the two that I had...and made a strip...

I sanded the strip....and so far have primed it...

I will then paint it black and adhere it to the bucket...

dunno...
just thought it might look pretty good...

hartss ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking at the stills, i thought the sleeves were rolled up but now they look like 3 quarter length sleeves as they look pretty tight where the cuff is
Active Legion Member

Gold Star (Amount: 3)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hartss wrote:
looking at the stills, i thought the sleeves were rolled up but now they look like 3 quarter length sleeves as they look pretty tight where the cuff is

I agree....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Nar Shaddaa Base All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: