Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=07e7db9b3fae9140a594f6715eb7348fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ra Kura Base History

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Ra Kura Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keki Mpira (Audrey Paul)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Ra Kura Base History Reply with quote

Well, the title says it all!

We are searching for people who know a little bit of Ra Kura back in the good old days......

We would love for people to chime in.

We are searching for members of the past that could tell us the date Ra Kura became Ra Kura. We have been able to ascertain that Ra Kura is one of the oldest bases in the Rebel Legion, and there is question as to whether it was 2000 or 2001.

If you can help with dates, past Base CO/XO, we want to hear from you!

Last edited by Keki Mpira (Audrey Paul) on Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wolfie (Crystal Bass)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk with Skaught. Believe he got the name, I remember something to do with maori for "red sun" and Ra Kura Bar & Grill was a thing? but its been so long that its just lost in my memory. But it explains the sunburst and red bird in the logo. There was significance to the number of large stars on the triangle as well but with the new round logo thats lost.

There used to be a whole thread here somewhere. Is it in the members only section? there was also a lot of stuff archived that i cannot see anymore.

You need to seek out Doom, Lum, Skaught, Herm, MilfViper, Bluegrrl. Those guys were here from the start and are fairly easy to get in touch with. Some more than others. May be best to try facebook.

We also had one of the oldest pilot squadrons. Though the name was changed for personal reasons.

Some other things to try to get information about would be timelines of leadership, etc.

I may be able to help answer specific questions versus just vague ones. So is there anything else you want to know about? what do you already know? If you could give me access to the archive thread for a couple days I could dig back through some of my old posts and go through some of the things i might remember after seeing titles of that contain information of importance.

I was Base XO under Thumper for a while, believe like 2006, then she quit one day at MegaCon I want to say it was, and I was CO through 2009 when I had to move. If I remember right Brandon Kosik was my XO for a while, then Lance, then Mark Bradley for a few months until elections as the XO would have to become CO when I moved, and due to an issue with a base CO having to be a member for a specific amount of time we had to swap it around.

When Lum retired, since the Warhawks actually predated the Rebel Legion and just used that name while everyone was in the RL, the name went with him, because it still existed/exists as a used name/image for the predating materials/forums of the group that started it. It was best to change it here since the rules regarding the use of our RL Images and stuff have to fit with how Lucasfilms/Disney would expect us to be. And we Warhawks like to drink & fight & drink. So best if thats being done with those logos that its not connected to the RL and explainations of there are two Warhawks isnt easy to deal with (look at the splintering of the Wolf Pack for an example of how annoying that is)

Anyway, just kind of rambling. I know we lost a lot of info in the crashes we've had over the years of the forums and servers. Sad A lot of the old guard completely retired/left. I know the change of the old logo pushed a lot of on the fence guys into full retirement lol

Last edited by Wolfie (Crystal Bass) on Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:47 pm; edited 4 times in total
Wolfie (Crystal Bass)
Active Legion Member

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random other stuff I can remember:

MegaCon 2003 is the start of the Warhawks , Pretty sure thats the right date. Ken/Lum was the leader, and there are actually black uniforms that were squad specific had and the best R2 unit in the galaxy, Whyren.(who had a small stint as the Ra Kura XO for a bit lol and support for him to carry on to be legion XO while Lum was LCO but that didnt happen). Technically speaking pretty sure they were the FIRST official squadron in the RL. I WANT to say that the Hawkbats came very shortly after as I know Ed and Ken are close and the idea spread up there. Hazard wasnt long after

I dont even know if squadrons have mottos anymore, a lot of the old ones do. Hazard does, and Warhawks did. "Do it for the story" was ours , and is on the coin.
Keki Mpira (Audrey Paul)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wolfie! Apparently there was a history thread but it was deleted for "inactivity"....sigh
Wolfie (Crystal Bass)
Active Legion Member

Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the Archive forum still exist? i thought that one was set not to purge regardless of activity. It would have only purged if someone in command moved it from archive to one of the purging forums Sad
Lonescout (Angelo Marcano)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfie wrote:
does the Archive forum still exist? i thought that one was set not to purge regardless of activity. It would have only purged if someone in command moved it from archive to one of the purging forums Sad

Yes, but only goes back to 2004 with several events listed.

I believe after Crystal was CO...

Lori Makee (Princess Leia Organa) BCO...BXO Lance Tomkins(LT-22) and Markus Zimmerman(Q)2009-2010
BCO Hoty(Cyrus Dingus) BXO Angelo (Lonescout) 2010-2011
BCO Angelo (Lonescout) BXO Markus Zimmerman(Q)2011-2012
BCO Jackie(miralys51) and Ian Letendre Jace Darkrider BXO Markus Zimmerman(Q) 2012-2013
Former RL Liaison to the FLG
Former BSN Admid.
Wolfie (Crystal Bass)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any specific information being looked for? I might have some old photos. and I could make a power point or something for you guys
Keki Mpira (Audrey Paul)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfie wrote:
Is there any specific information being looked for? I might have some old photos. and I could make a power point or something for you guys

I would take any help I can get.

I talked to Skaught Saturday night at MegaCon dinner and he explained that Ra Kura is "Red Sun".

Also got a little more further info on the meaning of the triangle logo as well.

Triangle - kind of the shape of Florida
"Chopsticks" (aka swoosh in the sun) - part of the NASA logo
7 stars on top represent the 7 astronauts who died on the Challenger
3 stars on bottom represent the 3 astronauts who died on Apollo 1

Now that I know the meaning of the logo, I have a whole new appreciation for the triangle.

Now if only I could get it the triangle logo in a high res file!

Any other information people has about Ra Kura; please post here.

Thanks to everyone who is helping!!!
Wolfie (Crystal Bass)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere I have vectorized versions of all the logos that we had. Just a matter of finding which photobucket I dumped them on to. I have sent them to several past commanders. They used to be on the legion Dropbox shared file drive which you should have access to through the Base Command forums

There was a whole debate about why a lot of the old guard didnt want to see the triangle lost, so I remember the shape and Nasa relations being mentioned there. So It would be good to see that saved somewhere.
Kodiak (Kevin Carlson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On our round logo...the 17 stars add in 7 more stars for those killed in the Discovery disaster. Also the triangles on the outer banner are obviously a tribute to the triangle logo but are also a tribute to the original Star Wars arcade game that used 4 triangles to help aim in the heads up display. ;-)
LordGoldenArrow (Arthur Tetterton)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the first "outing" for many of the Rakura base founders was Halloween. I think it was 2000, but she'd know better.

I don't know the year, but Thumper was there. She's got pics on her website from some events in those early years. Her email is on the website if you want to ask her questions.

http://www.coronasquadron.com/costumes.html
LordGoldenArrow (Arthur Tetterton)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the early members (like Thumper and I) still follow Ra Kura on Facebook. Might post there if you want stories, photos, or info.
twhigham (Troy Whigham)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration17 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keki Mpira wrote:

I talked to Skaught Saturday night at MegaCon dinner and he explained that Ra Kura is "Red Sun".

Also got a little more further info on the meaning of the triangle logo as well.

Triangle - kind of the shape of Florida
"Chopsticks" (aka swoosh in the sun) - part of the NASA logo
7 stars on top represent the 7 astronauts who died on the Challenger
3 stars on bottom represent the 3 astronauts who died on Apollo 1

Now that I know the meaning of the logo, I have a whole new appreciation for the triangle.

As a lifelong Florida resident who grew up during the excitement of the Space Race, I wanted to post up to thank you guys for starting this history thread and explaining the logo and how it ties to NASA and the 3 and 7 astronauts who perished in pursuit of man's quest to slip the bonds of Earth. Shows like "Star Trek", "Battlestar Galactica", and "Star Wars" have, in their own ways, encouraged the imagination of those who stand on the shoulders of those who have come before. Now that I know that the logo wasn't just a case of "that looks good, and that looks good, too", I can better explain why our patch looks the way it does. Believe it or not, collectors of militaria get off on these sorts of things. So, good job!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Ra Kura Base All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: